JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

SMOOTH SAMPLES JJ+FP

This post is only kinda JJ+FP related, but interesting none the less.

Smooth (for those of u who don't know) is a female emcee who also sings (much like Queen Latifah and Yo Yo). She signed 2 Jive in the early 90's and her debut album (1993) featured the hit "Female Mac." Her style is alot like JJ+FP, tasteful lyrics that man people can relate 2, not just gutter/street stuff. Her sound is radio-friendly but still straight Hip-Hop. She's best known more recently for her raps on Immatures "We Got It" and "What Me Do My Thing" (both hit singles). She had a big hit single in 1998 with "Strawberries" (offer her 1998 "Reality" album. She also popped up on Imx's "Old School Love" Young Rome's "Sexapade." She did some writing for B2K and is featured on a remix of "Gots Ta Be." She dropped a single last year called "Zoom" but it never got any support.

Anyways, her self-titled 2nd album has a dope Summertime Hip-Hop track called "Jeeps 'N' Benzos." It's just dope...flawless mid-90's Hip-Hop with her rapping about the summertime, then smoothing it down with an R-N-B hook. In the hook, there is a slightly slowed down sample of FP from "Summertime" saying "Riding around in ya jeep or your benzos.

Well, 2day i came across and even cooler JJ+FP sample she used. I got her "Love Groove" CD single from the UK, 1995. Anyways, track 4 is a remix of her single "It's Summertime (Let It Get Into U)" which, in it's own right, it a dope summertime anthem. The guys behind this remix are the same guys who have remixed "Twinkle Twinkle" and "Can't Wait To Be With You" along with some Aaliyah and R. Kelly stuff in the mid-90's. Most of their remix are good, but never over the top groundbreaking. Well, this one is very good. They not only heavily sampled JJ+FP's "Summertime" beat, they took the chants in the background and put them in her song. It's so ill. I'm thinkin' i'm gonna send both of these JJ+FP-sampling trax 2 Tim in 3 months or so (when Summertime starts), so that y'all can hear snippets of the trax. I just thought i'd share.

I might have to check those songs out.

Stay tuned...i'll be sending this trax 2 Tim in May or June. I'll tell him 2 put up a snippet of "Jeeps 'N' Benzos"...if y'all like it, u can dig up her album. Since that remix of "Summertime (Let It Get Into You)" isn't on her album, i'll probably give him the full track 2 put up.