JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

july 96 quote from will

Hero1

• Admin

for everyone waiting for the album..this will remind you how lucky we are... from an interview in 1996

BOXOFFICE: Have you considered going back to music at all?

WILL SMITH: At this point, I have no plans to record. Rap has kind of taken a different turn. It would take me a minute to figure out what I would want to do with it. It's not something that I'm paying too much attention to right now. At this point I just want to make good movies.

http://www.boxoff.com/coverjuly96b.html

Well since that point in '96 though hip-hop has gotten worse but once Will starts droppin' more material, he'll dominate again since there's no competition for him right now! :ali:

Yeah, the motivation he got back in 1996 and 1997 2 do music again has since disappeared. If he never did Big Willie Style, i don't think he would have gotten the motivation 2 keep recording. Unless he's trying 2 be a musical savior, the mainstream side of Rap music is dead and has been 4 awhile. Acts like Black Eyed Peas are the only ones being real and making good music.

Well most of the best mcs in the game right now are over 35 years old which is not saying much about the mcs coming out now and getting fame for bringing inconsistantly that's why JJFP and other ol' school mcs would dominate if they had the promotion from the record labels that they deserve, I mean what's up with Jay-Z being named the president of Def Jam, there would no Def Jam without LL, LL should own Def Jam for all the work he's put in, it's a shame how ol' school artists get dogged! :sad6:

I wouldn't call him disillusioned...cuz he waz right...Rap sucked. Everybody waz tryna be gangsta. Who can admire that?!? It looked like Hip-Hop didn't have a chance. It got a 2nd wind in '96 thru' A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Nas, Busta Rhymes, and so on...which motivated FP 2 come back...but since then it fell back in2 it's pattern of negative, foul-mouth, ignorant, cookie-cutter, greedy fools who get signed 2 big labels while the old skool, creative, and talented people suffer on small labels and nearly no chance 2 break out.

But FP has always stayed true himself and he's never fallen in2 a sell-out, trendy pattern of mainstream Hip-Hop. That's why he'll always be my favorite emcee.

I agree with Will too, that's why I ain't rushing for a record deal like a lot of ignorant young cats my age are doing 'cause I ain't tryin' to be pimped by the record company and alot of mcs that're getting fame are following the same trends like everyone else, I admire Will a lot too 'cause no matter what anyone else does he keeps it positive, other than him there's only really LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes, Naughty By Nature, Lauryn Hill, Wyclef, and Nas that've had some mainstream success for being themselves in these recent years, I look more to the underground mcs like Talib Kweli and KRS-ONE these days for inspiration to keep rhymin' or else I'd quit being an mc myself.

1996 is what gave it some fresh air tho.' The last quarter of had A Tribe Called Quest, Digital Underground, De La Soul, Nas (before the Escobar crap), Busta Rhymes, The Fugees, and a few other artists came out over shadowing the gangsta rap and gangsta wannabees. There waz non-mainstream success with other real emcees at the time as well. 1993 thru' the middle of 1996 seemed like the hopeless years until those acts i mentioned above returned. In these days of D12, Chingy, Lil' Wayne, Eminem, 50 Cent, Petey Pablo, G-Unit, Ludacris, Jay-Z, Terror Squad, Ja-Rule, Nelly, and so on, i LOOOOOOOOONG for 1996.