JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The DEFintion goes GOLD!

DevilsJim89

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kanye's album did go #1 the 1st couple weeks it came out, but currently after almost a year since its release date it's only double platinum, it's an incredible album and should've sold 5 or 6 million by now, but it's a surprise that it made at least platinum when most quality albums don't go platinum these days, once in a while it happens, the Outkast album is a quality album too so in between people buy good music! :ditto:

I don't think he meant "underground" as in gritty street stuff....but as in stuff that isn't on top of the charts. De La Soul isn't underground but they aren't exactly commercial either. I only consider artists with a cult following truely underground.

• Admin

yeah by underground i mean anything thats not on the major labels.. there is some great positive rap music that you will find by independant artists..not on major labels..other artists who began in the underground and signed major record deals include jurassic 5, blackalicious, dilated peoples etc etc

you guys need to get into the underground! its the only place where they are holdin it down for hip hop... aceyalone, abstract rude, lyrics born, quannum, latyrx, hieroglyphics, del, souls of mischief,

:werd: I like underground hip-hop, that's where the heart's at, I try to discover different artists at an underground hip-hop forum on the internet, but the peeps that post there talk more about Jay-Z and Eminem than they do any of the underground artists! :bang: Most of the hip-hop that I listen to these days are either underground or ol' school artists, when hip-hop started it was all underground, in my opinion the problem now is that there's too much money involved, so there's less talent displayed, when you have to sound a certain way to get a record deal, underground mcs are rebels 'cause they stay true to who they are and don't change their images to get famous, it's too bad though that the least talented artists are the ones making the most money, and I hear that Def Jam is gonna name Jay-Z president of that label that LL Cool J built, that's disrespectful towards LL! :nhawong:

I know Underground doesn't necesarily mean gritty hip hop. But most of the images those artists portray R that. I like Hieroglyphics songs that U sent me Hero1. Souls of Mischief is another. (from that 93 Til Infinity). Jurassic 5 has some skills that appeal 2 me. I'd probably say artists that rap about daily life being a youth and such. (ones I don't know about.)

I can't agree...i don't see any true skool emcees or non-commercial artists trying 2 be street. Ain't nothing wrong with being street anyways...it's the way they come across in the music. There's people like Ja-Rule and 50 Cent who are phoney about it who have made thousands of dollars and still talk like they actually live in the streets and have 2 deal with the same stress...then there are those who move on and talk about live.

Hip-hop is street music, it was originally created in the streets of the South Bronx in NYC, so of course rappers are gonna talk about the streetlife in their songs 'cause that's what they've seen most of their lives, that's just keepin' it real to who they are, FP doesn't really talk too much about the streetlife in his songs 'cause he didn't live the type of streetlife that most rappers lived and that's just keepin' it real to who he is. :werd:

Hip-Hop originated from the streets, but it grew musically in2 an artform of self expression. Not everybody comes from the same 'hood so it's stupid 2 say all Hip-Hop should sound a certain way. JJ+FP came up in an enviorment where they came up in a Hip-Hop background, but partying and comedy waz a much bigger influence. It would have been phoney 4 them 2 put on an image that wazn't true 2 them....and that's the perfect example of what fools are doing these days (and have been doing 4 awhile). Some people need 2 wake up and realize their favorite artists are fakes and they are lying 2 u. U can count on JJ+FP and other true skool Hip-Hoppers 2 give u what's real...even if it's not what u want.