• Jill Scott
    • Aaliyah
    • Faith Evans
    • Ms. Dynamite
    • Ashanti
    • Beyonce
    • Brandy
    • other - who ?

well i saw wondering who to put in the list .. and then i saw hah Ashanti , Brandy ,Alicia are in genre - hip hop soul ,so ... like Erykah and Neneh there is no doubt they are hip hop

about for some like the so sellout mariah and others, i add the option "other" so

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

My top 5 female hip hop artists:

1-Queen Latifah

2-Left Eye

3-MC Lyte

4-Foxy Brown

5-Eve

My thoughts exactly. 1st off, Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Jill Scott, etc shouldn't be on the list. Mary J. Blige is a Hip-Hop artist, but she's an R-N-B/Soul singer. I think it would be better to list the list only females emcees because it's weird to compare an emcee to a singer.

I voted for Left Eye. She is one of the most creative writing styled wordsmiths in all of Hip-Hop (male or female). She changed her tone for every album. You could listen to an acappella unreleased verse by her and guess what year she recorded it by the way she rhymed. She could write the deepest, most heaviest rhymes on one song and writing something funny, hilarious, and crazy on the next song. Her light was blown out way to soon.

Queen Latiah is probably the queen of all Hip-Hop though. Her ability to branch out and keep moving is amazing. She's always remained true to herself and open and honest with her fans. She could write and sing a sweet love song as well as hang lyrically beside the hardest of emcees.

MC Lyte another legend. Her ability to stay true 2 herself thoughout the years while still expanding is amazing 2 me. She's another who could write something soft and sweet and then tear your head off in another verse.

Yo Yo is a west coast legend. WIthout disrespecting her, she's kinda like the B-level Latifah. She has her rough side and her soft side. She can spit and sing on the same track and make it make sense.

Salt -N-Pepa are legends. Salt has always been the more lyrically one but they are definitely at the top.

Foxy Brown is ill too. I can't stand when she kinda tries to sound like Lil' Kim tho.' Her style was dope...but it went down hill kinda quickly. I'd like to see her get back in the zone and make better music. I picked up her last album but I'm not sure if I ever listened 2 it more that once. Her debut album is dope tho.' Her verse on LL's "I Shot Ya" is one of the dopest verses ever.

Lauryn Hill is the last of my favorites. I just think she's amazing. Sadly, with the way she's acted and been so silent over the years, it makes u wonder if she was only ever in the zone from 1993 to 2000. There's no excuse to wait over 10 years to put 2gether another studio album. The last verse I remember from her was on Joss Stone's last official album from a couple years back. Her verse was dope but why nothing else?

I think the worst female rappers of all time are Amil and Lil' Kim.

I agree with most of the things AJ said, but I think lil Kim is not that bad as an MC.. Its just that as u can see in the notorious movie, she chose that path of being more sexy than lyrical on her songs.. But u can see in her mix with Will that the girl got skills!

I think Lil' Kim has improved over the years as an mc, "The Naked Truth" shows she got some skills

Speaking of female rappers that collabed with LL, I like that song on "Exit 13" called "Get Over Here" that features Nicolette, she held her own on that track with the G.O.A.T., has she released an album or mixtape or anything? I would like to hear something from her