JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will and Jada Pinkett Smith to host Nobel concert

MissAshley

OSLO, Norway – American rap artist and actor Will Smith and his wife, the actress Jada Pinkett Smith, will co-host this year's Nobel Peace Prize Concert in Oslo, organizers said Wednesday.

The Dec. 11 show — a day after the award ceremony — will feature performances by Wyclef Jean, Toby Keith, Donna Summer, Puerto Rican singer Luis Fonsi as well as Amadou & Mariam, a blues and jazz duet from Mali.

"The opportunity to recognize the laureate's contributions to the world peace movement will be an awe-inspiring experience," the Smiths said in a joint statement. "We are both humbled and honored to take part in the Nobel Peace Prize Concert this year."

The winner of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize is to be announced in Oslo on Oct. 9. The award is always handed out Dec. 10, the anniversary of prize founder Alfred Nobel's death in 1896.

"We're excited to have Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith join us as hosts for the Nobel Peace Prize Concert," said Geir Lundestad, secretary of the Norwegian Nobel Committee. "Together they've had a global impact on the arts and philanthropy and will be excellent ambassadors for peace."

Smith, 41, rose to fame in the 1980s as a rapper under the name The Fresh Prince and as the star of a popular television comedy show. His many films include "Men in Black" and "Independence Day."

His wife, 38, is an actress, model and singer-songwriter. Her film career has included roles in the "The Nutty Professor," "Ali," and "The Matrix Reloaded."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090930/ap_en_mo/eu_norway_nobel_concert

http://nobelpeaceprize.org/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Will Smith to Wear Marc Jacobs in Oslo... Feeling Sheepish...

GET MARC, GET SET: Thanks to Marc Jacobs, Will Smith should be looking good when President Obama is presented with the Nobel Peace Prize Dec. 11 in Oslo. In fact, the designer will be suiting up the actor for all of the related festivities in Norway. Multiple custom suits and tuxedos have been made for Smith, and a mélange of fall ready-to-wear pieces have been sent his way.

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/will-smith-to-wear-marc-jacobs-in-oslo-feeling-sheepish-2385260?justin=2385260

Mr. and Mrs. Smith go to Oslo to host Nobel Prize concert

Will Smith— one of the biggest stars on the planet — says he's still struggling to find his place in the world.

"You know, once you reach your 40th birthday, the world starts looking a little different," he says.

He's hoping the Nobel Peace Prize concert — which he's co-hosting with his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, Friday in Oslo — will help in his journey of self-discovery.

"It's really frustrating sometimes, but I just feel like this is the right place to meet people, and as my grandmother used to say, 'Make the world better just because you were there.' "

The pair snagged the concert-hosting gig through a friend, Harvard professor S. Allen Counter, well before President Obama won the Peace Prize, a confluence of events that Pinkett Smith calls "icing on the cake."

The Smiths will attend today's Peace Prize ceremony and will interview Obama. The interview will air during the concert.

The concert, to be held at the Oslo Spektrum, will feature performances by Wyclef Jean, Donna Summer, Toby Keith, Lang Lang and Natasha Bedingfield and will stream live Friday on CNN.com beginning at 2 p.m. ET.

It will be televised in the USA early next year.

The couple's primary goal is to issue a warm welcome to the world. "I'm going to have to restrain some of my standard dumbness," Smith jokes.

"We want to make it seem as though we are hosting very prestigious guests in our living room. We want to be able to just bring some warmth and a little laughter and fun into the program," Pinkett Smith says. "And, at the end of the show, we're all coming out and we're going to sing —"

Smith interrupts: "You can't give away the end of the show!"

Pinkett Smith concedes, laughing heartily, while her husband tries to deflect. "At the end of it, my character dies!" he jokes.

The couple's easy rapport is reminiscent of another high-profile couple, whom Smith and Pinkett Smith admire: the Obamas.

"They're with Will and I on the level of how we live. I mean, (we're) nowhere near what the Obamas are doing, but just with the pressures that we have and how much concentration and work it takes to keep your family intact. They are an extraordinary family."

Smith says the example that the president and first lady set as a couple is something to behold.

"If you can create such a beautiful, hopeful impression, then I think that the value is in the realm of the unnamable," he says.

"You can't even quantify what that does when you can make somebody feel the way that they're able to make you feel."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2009-12-10-willjada10_ST_N.htm