JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West causes controversy on NBC

Frenetic

Damn Ted dont you get finger cramp? The amount you type in this post is crazzzy, Probably more i have ever typed in that one page

I have a lot on my mind man, I feel like I could write a whole album right now, the problems in this world are ridiculous, action must be made.

Edited by bigted

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hearing "Lost and Found" where Will pours out his rage towards the media probably the best in his career on wax and I think that's why a lot of us think it's his best album ever, I think even my mind is swaying towards that way too now, this album needs to have as much impact as when he won the 1st rap grammy. I don't think he'd be a Uncle Tom and say nothin', he may not curse in his songs but that don't mean he's soft("Lost is when you hide behind the freedom of speech") and he does call Kanye West the truth, I always shook my head a lil' bit about that but now I know why, "Jesus Walks" is a powerful song though too that I always liked though that I think is more powerful than most commercial rappers careers, btw Frenetic is right remember 9/11's telethon, he was on stage with Muhamadd Ali and made a powerful statement, Will's one of the realest brothers in the hip-hop community, that's why he has a good chance in being the first black president if there ever is one. The streets say f*** Elvis since James Brown is our hero"Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant s*** to me", "I'm sayin' it loud 'cause I'm black and I'm proud", it pissed me off that when James Brown was diagnosed with cancer the media brought up how he went to jail for cocaine possession in '88, that's not the right time to bring that up, God Damn the man had cancer!(Thank God he's all right so he's back out there performing going unnoticed by the media.) And for the record f*** Bill O'Reilly 'cause he doesn't give a f*** about hip-hop, he dissed Ludacris who produced "Party Starter" and is good friends with Will too, I wanna watch his show tomorrow just to see how he responds to Kanye.  The truth is the government needs to recognise the power of hip-hop 'cause this is the top voice of the black community and if Bush could get together with Russell Simmons, Will Smith, Kanye West, Chuck D, and KRS-ONE he'd understand why the f*** we're mad at him, I doubt he'll respond to what Kanye said though, maybe there needs to be another million man march.  You need to understand that Kanye talkin' about this could open up doors for the hip-hop community and the government to work together to help clean up the streets from all the problems and there won't be a prejudice, somebody has to say something, we can't just lie down and die!  If you asked anybody on the streets of New Orleans I bet they'd tell you: "F*** Bush!", it ain't just blacks hating on him right now, obviously a lot of white people are too 'cause I saw the other day on CNN that his approval is down to a low 40%, the nation is mad right now, Kanye ain't the only one, he stands for America! I could see why there's a prejudice though towards hip-hop 'cause of who gets the most airtime, 50 Cent and Mike Jones are heartless Uncle Tom rappers who do anything to just make money for themselves and don't care about what other people think about them when they do it, they make us look like stupid n****rs in society, we need better role models to be the most selling in hip-hop, we need to bring back the Fugees, MC Hammer, KRS-ONE, and Public Enemy and maybe they'll learn to take hip-hop more seriously if we brought subject matter to the airwaves("rap was smart and multilayered/we could rap without a&r's and ultimatadems, damn!"), like Hammer once said: "my hero's are rarely seen!(on in trouble)" and they are my heroes that I never see, 50 Cent and Mike Jones are a disgrace to the black community and the hip-hop community, they make us look like we're all idiots who can't read(Lost is when you're a slave to the biz/and don't care what you're saying to kids), 50 didn't go to Live 8 'cause he was too busy shootin' his movie about his fake thug life to make more money? I'm tired of lookin' at these motherf****s that make videos with no subject matter this is why we want "Lost and Found" to do so well too right? 50 Cent is only entertainment 'cause he's only a rapper, Will Smith is a way of life 'cause he's hip-hop, hip-hop needs to come back to the top 'cause this is more than entertainment, this is a movement that was cut short by when all the fake thugs came and we lost our leader 2Pac who stood for the fight always, he and Will were good friends too, he said he's a thug 'cause the media treats blacks like thugs, he was just throwin' it back the hate they gave him, that's why the streets consider him the greatest, he stood for the streets, the Malcolm X of the hip-hop generation, the media tarnished his legacy too, they just don't wanna see a strong black man on top for the whole world to see, they just focus in on the ones that're only entertaining for themselves and ignore the ones who wanna make a difference in the community, we need to break the barrier between the media and the streets. We seriously need another golden era in hip-hop again, we need to accomplish Martin's dream and live in a life where if we do something wrong and we try to do right again we all get forgiven 'cause God forgives us all for our sins but the media doesn't seem to forgive all blacks when we sin but God rules this world, not the media(I have a dream that all men should not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character). Everybody with fame that don't do anything to help the average people Lord have mercy on them 'cause they might be in hell, they better enjoy their rich life now with their eyes close to reality while the popular rappers just make songs about drugs and hoes and the youth follow them're getting high all day, I know so much because I don't flood my mind with drugs like a lot my age do. Chuck D addresses that in his terrordome too about how the rappers make songs about drugs and hoes with the youth following them, even some of their older siblings too . They ignore our hero Will Smith, something needs to be done to stop this, we gotta stop poisoning our seeds and learn to think. btw, Nas made a song called "I Wanna Talk To You", this is a dedication to Bush and all the leaders who ignore hip-hop, they needs to learn to relate to the black community and get on the same page, we don't need to fight, we need to unify, I could see your point Kanye could choose to say nothin' and maybe there won't be controversey for a while but by the hip-hop logic the issue will never get addressed and we'll stay divided in the longrun, hip-hop is aggressive, we don't take s*** for granted, you might look at 50 and think otherwise from what the media might intend when they show his videos a million times but that's why we need to get his ass off the air 'cause he ain't the representative of what hip-hop is, I was tossing and turning all night thinkin' about these things, anyway here's Nas' song:

[Chorus: repeat 2X]

I wanna talk to the mayor, the governor, the motherf----n president

I wanna talk to the FBI, and the CIA, and the motherf----n congressman

[Nas]

Step up to the White House let me in

Whats my reason for being I'm ya next to kin

And we built this motherf-----

You wanna kill me because my hunger?

Mr. America young black n----z want ya

I wanna talk to the man understand

Understand this motherf----n' G-pack in my hand

Look what happened to San Fran young girl hit by policeman

Twelve shots up in her dome, damn

N----z thought we slept but the architect sent

The Pentagon's from Egypt, government secret

The 99 to 2-G computer shutdown, what now

Extension on Earth, human cutdown

N----z play with PlayStations, they build a spacestations

On Mars plottin civilizations

Dissin us discriminatin different races

Tax payers pay for more jail for black, latin faces

Chorus

[Nas]

I'm just a black man why y'all made it so hard?, Damn!

N----z gotta go create their own job

Mr. Mayor imagine if this was your backyard?

Mr. Governor imagine if it was your kids that starved?

Imagine your kids gotta sling crack to survive

Swing a mack to be live, cart ack to get high

It's the ghetto life yeah I celebrate it, I live it

And all I got is what you left me with I'ma get it

Now y'all combinin all the countries we goin do the same

Combine all the cliques to make one gang

It ain't all about a black and white thing

It's to make the change, citizens of a higher plane

[Chorus]

[Nas]

What y'all waitin for the world to blow up

Before you hear this rewind this 4 minutes before we timeless

Let y'all n----z bang my s--- before Saddam hits

The Nastradamus tell us what time it is

They try to buy us with doe

Fake black leaders of puppets always talking bout the city budget

The news got it all confused lyin to the public

They eyes watchin stay wise move above it

Water floods predicted hurricanes twisters

Its all signs of the Armageddon three sixes

People reverse the system politics verse religion

Holy war muslim verse christians

N-----z in high places they don't have the balls for this

People in power sit back and watch them slaughter us

Mr. President I assume it was negligence

The streets upside down, I'm here to represent this

[Chorus] - 2X

[Nas]

Can I talk to you Mr. President?

N----z tryin to get with the computers

We ain't John Henry

Banging down machines and s---

Part of establishment

That's what we are steppin up for

This s--- is real

Total Package in this n----

LES in this n---

Ill Will n---

Mr. President wanna keep us from establishment

N-----z are american baby

American Made

U know we got our diffrences but that was :word:

Damn Ted dont you get finger cramp? The amount you type in this post is crazzzy, Probably more i have ever typed in that one page

I have a lot on my mind man, I feel like I could write a whole album right now, the problems in this world are ridiculous, action must be made.

Ted, maybe its just me but ur posts seem so repititive. i think u got so much on ur mind right now that u can't even keep ur discussions on topic. it goes from Kanye to Bill O'Reilly... i skimmed thru ur lost post and saw Russel Simmons, Chuck D, KRS-One, Fugees, MC Hammer, Nas. come on dude, we're talking about the crisis here and whether or not speaking out against Bush is right. nobody's gonna bother to read that much, especially when u get sidetracked from the topic like that. it seems like a lot of ur posts are like that. sometimes it seems like i'm reading the same stuff all over again. and why would u post Will's verse? don't u think we've heard it 100 times at least? i dunno man... if u ever try to write a book i hope it doesn't have a topic or else ur gonna end up goin off that topic within the first page. :paperbag:

Edited by reborn2reign

Ted, maybe its just me but ur posts seem so repititive. i think u got so much on ur mind right now that u can't even keep ur discussions on topic. it goes from Kanye to Bill O'Reilly... i skimmed thru ur lost post and saw Russel Simmons, Chuck D, KRS-One, Fugees, MC Hammer, Nas. come on dude, we're talking about the crisis here and whether or not speaking out against Bush is right. nobody's gonna bother to read that much, especially when u get sidetracked from the topic like that. it seems like a lot of ur posts are like that. sometimes it seems like i'm reading the same stuff all over again. and why would u post Will's verse? don't u think we've heard it 100 times at least? i dunno man... if u ever try to write a book i hope it doesn't have a topic or else ur gonna end up goin off that topic within the first page. :paperbag:

:sipread:

The reason why I bring Nas, Public Enemy, MC Hammer, KRS-ONE, 2Pac, Fugees up is 'cause they all share the same point of view whether you like them or not, "We're All In The Same Game", their songs have meaning to them just like Will's and Kanye's following their path so he has the right to say that Bush sucks 'cause the whole damn hip-hop community feels the same way, Will would've said the same thing if he was there too, shouldn't Bush address the hip-hop community, he's ignoring us man! :worried: Doesn't a 40% approval rating for Bush tell you that Kanye West wasn't the only one feeling the same way? When you write something you have to have many points in it, just like Will's songs, he talks about quite a few things in one song, imagine if every song on album was talking about the same thing, it'd be boring right? I make a few different points each post, I'm not repetitive, I might say one thing again 'cause you seem to ignore that part. btw, I was watching the news a lil' while ago and I see other countries are speakin' against Bush too!

Edited by bigted

Kanye's following their path so he has the right to say that Bush sucks 'cause the whole damn hip-hop community feels the same way, Will would've said the same thing if he was there too

that's a pretty bold statement Ted. i didn't know u had connections with all those people in the hip-hop community and took a poll of their personal opinions.

may a suggest a personal journal? or maybe i'll try out that ignore feature if i can find it again :ponder:

I leave the board for a couple of days and I miss a lot.

My opinion is pretty much the same as Ted's and WillJadaFan's. The U.S. government's handling of this crisis has been horrible. Kayne was just speaking his mind and what he said is what at least 75% of African-Americans feel. As a black man, I don't trust this government whether they be Democrat or Republican. Neither party cares for black people until election time comes and they need votes.

The National Guard & military should have been in New Orleans by Wednesday at the latest. You mean to tell me the government can send troops into Iraq to battle Al-Qaida and other terrorists but they can't send them into New Orleans to take care of a few thugs with guns. The excuses I heard were flimsy to say the least. The fact of the matter is that these were poor African-Americans and the government sat on their hands while thousands died. When Kayne said that George Bush doesn't care about black people, he was merely saying what most black people feel about George Bush. I'll take it a step further and say that no one in this government cares about black people(at least poor black people).

This government was founded on the backs of slaves. In the original constitution, black people were 3/5 a person. It was a system set up by the rich, for the rich and of the rich. If you have money then you have a voice. If you don't then you're like those poor people in New Orleans - you have no voice.

Not only do I agree that it was appropiate for Kayne to speak out but it was the perfect time. It's time for America to look itself in the mirror and realize once and for all that not only does racism still exist but it's prevelant in this society. I could go on but I'm so disgusted by the lack of action on the part of the government that I can't even say anymore.

Well Will's friends with all of them and that's a fact, he's backed them up one time or another for what they said, to quote Jay-Z: do you look at my posts or do you skim through them? Will talked about how much Biggie's albums represent the thoughts of the streets, now even though I might think Biggie is overrated, Will's right about that, Biggie did the describe his streetlife in his songs, this is not fiction, there are black people that do have to sell crack to make a living, there are many blacks in jail, and there are many blacks homeless without jobs, do you think there's no racism? When I go out with a white girl people say things about me, this is 2005 not 1965 it shouldn't be that way! I'm not repeating myself but you know what I'd rather die repeating what I believe in than die letting people push me around for the rest of my life and that's a damn fact. I don't understand how the hell you, Jim, and Max could complain about the hip-hop scene right now for meaningless songs and then turn around and criticise Kanye for saying that Bush needs to pay attention to black people, I don't care who said it I applaud anybody that stands up for what they believe in, damn y'all might as well listen to that commercial crap if y'all feel that way, this is hip-hop, music about life and that's how we express ourselves. As a fan of hip-hop I'm waiting for the day that a positive rapper could have the highest selling album of the year, it'd open the doors for more conscious rappers to come on the scene, what Kanye said hopefully increases his sales, so maybe they'll give Will Smith, Common, and Nas more of a chance too, somebody has to step and say something, hip-hop needs leadership, and if you don't believe Will wouldn't say anything, you obviously haven't listened to "Lost and Found" in a while, he ain't no Uncle Tom!

Edited by bigted

If you ain't part of the solution you're part of the problem that's what it comes down to, if Bush reached out to the black community that's represented through hip-hop then he could be working towards the solution but I don't see it so he's part of the problem, he ain't no great leader in my mind, just because we're the minority doesn't mean we don't count, we're humans too! Sure most people who buy hip-hop are living in the suburbs but the heart of hip-hop is the streets and the thoughts of the people from the streets, that's why conscious rap has a hard time selling since the people in the suburbs ignore it, y'all need to understand that, this needs to be presented everywhere, we can't close our eyes to the problems of the streets, if everybody hears the messages we say in hip-hop maybe something would get done about it, it's more than just music you buy and listen to.

Edited by bigted

Reborntoreign: I'll cut off my left hand if 98% of the hiphopcommunity doesn't feel like kanye right now.

Then we got people just dissin what he said cuz of who he is, nomatter what the topic is about some people gotta diss it.

:word: If Will said this we all would be applauding I bet but I don't care who says something powerful as long as people hear it to see that hip-hop does care, we ain't heartless thugs.

Ted, i already ended the whole argument about what Kanye said. i understand where ur comin from, i just have a different view of it. the discussion's over. if u want to keep beating a dead horse just so u can have the last word and feel good about urself then go ahead.

I don't understand how the hell you, Jim, and Max could complain about the hip-hop scene right now for meaningless songs and then turn around and criticise Kanye for saying that Bush needs to pay attention to black people, I don't care who said it I applaud anybody that stands up for what they believe in, damn y'all might as well listen to that commercial crap if y'all feel that way, this is hip-hop, music about life and that's how we express ourselves.

first of all, that might be the longest sentence i've ever seen. as i've stated before, i understand what Kanye is doing and i applaud his attempt to make a difference, i just didn't think it was the right place. i'm not criticising the content of Kanye's message, i'm criticising the moment he chose to say it. thanx 4 the inspiration buddy, i'm gonna pop in some Mike Jones right now since i'm not worthy of ur great hip-hop music.

damn, why can't i get this ignore feature to work?!?!? :damnyou:

I was watching the news a lil' while ago and I see other countries are speakin' against Bush too!

Well i think 90% of the Worl where allready against Bush 4 Years ago!

Especaly the European where just like..What?They voted for that Mother****er again? :lolsign:

Edited by Turntable