JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z's 'Kingdom Come' Leaked on the Internet

fan 4ever

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jigga's very talented, but there are other great rappers like I listed there, the main point I wanted to make is that he ain't the only one that makes up hip-hop like many of his fans might believe

Top 3 of all time? That's a disgrace to hip-hop to put him up so high, off the top of my dome I know all these would destroy Jay-Z, I don't even know if he'd crack my top 50:

KRS

LL

Chuck D

Fresh Prince

Rakim

Big Daddy Kane

Slick Rick

Ice Cube

Kool Moe Dee

Treach

Nas(already ethered him btw)

Kool G Rap

Queen Latifah

Lauryn

Wyclef

MC Lyte

CL Smooth

Treach

2Pac

Vinnie

Rev. Run

DMC

Andre 3000

Big Boi

Snoop

DMX

Grand Puba

Method Man

Redman

Big L

Ice-T

Big Pun

Talib Kweli

Mos Def

Aceyalone

Pep Love

Casual

Fat Joe

nas and krs I put above him, but the rest hover near, except for guys like dmx andre 3000 and fat joe, i see them nowhere near him. I just don't see those mentions at all.

Rakim has arguablely the best flow, but when did he ever talk about anything but himself? Jay-z is cocky as hell but i see so much more substance in what he raps than rakim. mos def and talib are amazing lyricists, and are in the top ten, IMO, but i think to be a great rapper, you need to also appeal somewhat to the masses, something they have a hard time doing. they are some of the best backpack-rappers, but that is one type of rap, not the premier necessarily.

2pac in my opinion could say alot of influential things, but his flow never appealed to me. I also feel his legendary status was sealed because of his death. LL has recycled rhymes and is really hard for me to respect as much now that he's willing to drop his credibility for G-unit. Method man at times shows greatness, but I feel he tries to hard to not break away from one style, set in place by his Wu-tang roots. Redman never really appealed to me.

Queen Latifah, maybe its just personal preference, NEVER appealed to me, no matter what she rapped about or to what beat. I never could get into it. (maybe its a lil sexism, because I have yet to find another female rapper I'll listen to either. I'll admit it.)

Ice Cube was decent in his last CD, altho I felt he really was pulling the last from his creativity.

To me, Snoop is fun with what he says, but limited on the depth that you can read into it.

As much as I love Will, to be the best, you have to continually be able to be creative in new ways. I think Will has his niche, but I don't think it surpasses what Jay has been able to do. Also, you will hear a D grade rhyme from Will more frequently than you will from Jay. Slick Rick was an awesome story teller, but I still don't see him over Jay. Ice-T was great during his time, yet I think he pales in comparison to raps from guys like Nas and Jay can still churn out. Wyclef and Kool G, I gotta admit, they slipped my mind, so I can't argue anything there. Also, on the latter end of your list, I am not familar with the talent so I can't judge.

Just my opinion. Thought I'd at least try to give some understanding why I still see Jay up there top 3.

Edited by Bob

I respect that..

Treach(maybe O.P.P but thats it),Vinnie,Grand Puba,Pep Love,Casual = Hell no..

Chuck D,Big Daddy Kane,Slick Rick,Kool Moe Dee,Kool G Rap,Queen Latifah,MC Lyte,CL Smooth,Run DMC,Big L = Nice ones

Rest of them are great ones including Jay, Eazy E, Biggie etc(i'll write them next time) ..

peace

Edited by Pakalicous

Top 3 of all time? That's a disgrace to hip-hop to put him up so high, off the top of my dome I know all these would destroy Jay-Z, I don't even know if he'd crack my top 50:

KRS

LL

Chuck D

Fresh Prince

Rakim

Big Daddy Kane

Slick Rick

Ice Cube

Kool Moe Dee

Treach

Nas(already ethered him btw)

Kool G Rap

Queen Latifah

Lauryn

Wyclef

MC Lyte

CL Smooth

Treach

2Pac

Vinnie

Rev. Run

DMC

Andre 3000

Big Boi

Snoop

DMX

Grand Puba

Method Man

Redman

Big L

Ice-T

Big Pun

Talib Kweli

Mos Def

Aceyalone

Pep Love

Casual

Fat Joe

nas and krs I put above him, but the rest hover near, except for guys like dmx andre 3000 and fat joe, i see them nowhere near him. I just don't see those mentions at all.

Rakim has arguablely the best flow, but when did he ever talk about anything but himself? Jay-z is cocky as hell but i see so much more substance in what he raps than rakim. mos def and talib are amazing lyricists, and are in the top ten, IMO, but i think to be a great rapper, you need to also appeal somewhat to the masses, something they have a hard time doing. they are some of the best backpack-rappers, but that is one type of rap, not the premier necessarily.

2pac in my opinion could say alot of influential things, but his flow never appealed to me. I also feel his legendary status was sealed because of his death. LL has recycled rhymes and is really hard for me to respect as much now that he's willing to drop his credibility for G-unit. Method man at times shows greatness, but I feel he tries to hard to not break away from one style, set in place by his Wu-tang roots. Redman never really appealed to me.

Queen Latifah, maybe its just personal preference, NEVER appealed to me, no matter what she rapped about or to what beat. I never could get into it. (maybe its a lil sexism, because I have yet to find another female rapper I'll listen to either. I'll admit it.)

Ice Cube was decent in his last CD, altho I felt he really was pulling the last from his creativity.

To me, Snoop is fun with what he says, but limited on the depth that you can read into it.

As much as I love Will, to be the best, you have to continually be able to be creative in new ways. I think Will has his niche, but I don't think it surpasses what Jay has been able to do. Also, you will hear a D grade rhyme from Will more frequently than you will from Jay. Slick Rick was an awesome story teller, but I still don't see him over Jay. Ice-T was great during his time, yet I think he pales in comparison to raps from guys like Nas and Jay can still churn out. Wyclef and Kool G, I gotta admit, they slipped my mind, so I can't argue anything there. Also, on the latter end of your list, I am not familar with the talent so I can't judge.

Just my opinion. Thought I'd at least try to give some understanding why I still see Jay up there top 3.

Hey I feel you bro on where you're coming from, that's nice to know you're familar with most of these mcs, now if you're gonna call LL selling out for working with G-Unit but what about some of the weak rappers that Jay-Z worked with respectfully speaking? Recycled rhymes? What about all the Biggie lines that Jay-Z uses in his songs? Would Jay-Z even be as popular if Biggie was alive? I don't think so, Biggie's another one above Jay-Z of course... Rakim did have some inciteful lyrics on "The 18th Letter" album and besides the way he came into the game with his rhyme patterns elevated many mcs to step their game, think about how mc'ing was before him and then after he came along and you'll see that he made way more impact than Jigga has, rappers today still use lines from "Paid In Full", DMX has a better album catalog than Jay-Z does, basically a lot of solid work he's done since he came in from '98 till now, Fat Joe from the mid-late 90s was a great mc and I think he's going back to that form on his new album coming out tomorrow, I also forgot to mention mcs Busta, Common, Guru, and Q-Tip that're all at least on the same level as Jay-Z, now putting Jay-Z in the top 50 is not a knock, it's just that there are many great mcs that're still living or have lived, I can't put him above all them, many people sleep on them and that's why they put him so high but I'd imagine they wouldn't if they actually heard of these mcs

I feel what you saying tim.. But it's like I love hip-hop, but some off the rappers you guys listen to aint my kind of rappers.. Im more of a great beat, tight song(meaning songs like Still Dre, IN Da Club, Dirt off your shoulders, School Spirit, Hold Up by diddy etc) type of a guy.. But I love rappers like Blackstars, Common etc and old school people like Digital Underground, Sugarhill gang, RunDMC etc.. But i feel like if I dont like those rappers that you guys like, its a shame.. And I can admit I dont feel all of the kel spencers songs.. But dont say i dont know hip hop .. Kinda f'ked up in it?

Peace

Everyone is entitled 2 their own opinion and 2 their own taste. But when someone is praising Puffy, Jay-Z, Ja-Rule, Young Dro, etc. I think 2 myself "do u only listen 2 the commercial crap on the radio?" In most cases, the people on the radio don't make music...this make "tracks." The overpriced beats are quickly processed repeatative works of crap. Some of them are catchy but that's only 2 cover up the unimaginative lyrics that mean nothing. If u are livin' for that kinda stuff, u aren't asking 4 much out of the people u listen 2. Which is fine with those artists, cuz not only do they not display any real passion for Hip-Hop as music or a culture...but they just aren't smart.

Everyone is entitled 2 their own opinion and 2 their own taste. But when someone is praising Puffy, Jay-Z, Ja-Rule, Young Dro, etc. I think 2 myself "do u only listen 2 the commercial crap on the radio?" In most cases, the people on the radio don't make music...this make "tracks." The overpriced beats are quickly processed repeatative works of crap. Some of them are catchy but that's only 2 cover up the unimaginative lyrics that mean nothing. If u are livin' for that kinda stuff, u aren't asking 4 much out of the people u listen 2. Which is fine with those artists, cuz not only do they not display any real passion for Hip-Hop as music or a culture...but they just aren't smart.

AJ,

Everything you just said is right on the money... except in this one case. While a lot of Jay's material leaves a lot to be desired I think he stepped his game up on this album. Songs like 30-Something, Minority Report and Beach Chair showcase his ability to deal with real subjects... and this is coming from someone who not even a big fan of his.

Are you ****ting me? Everybody want's beats from Dre.. That's why it's overpriced.. Dj Premiere is starting to take alot off money for beats after the Christina album.. "Do I only listen to commercial CRAP? on the radio"?.. As i was trying to say is that I like music.. I dont really give a flying f'ck about who made it.. As long as it is good.. I listen to Young Jeezy.. At the same time im feelin AZ's album.. I listen to Dipset.. but im feeling CL Smooth to.. Im listening to Da brakes right now for god's sake.. and the new Da Ace track is great by the way.. If you guys dont get it.. I listen to music... I dont hate every another rapper because he's making commercial music.. you guys love artist before they get real big.. then you hate him.. kinda ****ed up..

Are you ****ting me? Everybody want's beats from Dre.. That's why it's overpriced.. Dj Premiere is starting to take alot off money for beats after the Christina album.. "Do I only listen to commercial CRAP? on the radio"?.. As i was trying to say is that I like music.. I dont really give a flying f'ck about who made it.. As long as it is good.. I listen to Young Jeezy.. At the same time im feelin AZ's album.. I listen to Dipset.. but im feeling CL Smooth to.. Im listening to Da brakes right now for god's sake.. and the new Da Ace track is great by the way.. If you guys dont get it.. I listen to music... I dont hate every another rapper because he's making commercial music.. you guys love artist before they get real big.. then you hate him.. kinda ****ed up..

:word: I feel you man...there's a lot of hate on these "commercial" artists...I like Jay-z but at the same time I'm bumping that Talib Kweli and Common 2! If the music is good...it's good! I don't care who made it!