JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New Ice-T album

dparrott

I feel that "gangsta" rap is feuled by it's surroundings....in reality the surroundings might not be nearly as violent as described in the music but there is no denying the violence. You can't go through life being assaulted by cops, talking to drug dealers etc... and then make songs like Rapper's Delight.

When you hear something like Ice-T's "I must stand" or N.W.A's "**** the police" it might glamourize certain aspects of violence but there is a certain message informing people all over the world about their problems and giving something on the streets to relate to.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lerkot, your right, they arent telling what they go through right now, caus right now they are ritch and they dont have to worry about the Ghetto life. But they used to live that way, and now they "tell story's" about it. Even the most commercial Gangsta Rappers, like Ja Rule etc. do some Songs on every Album to talk about what they been through, and abou how you can manage it. They do it for the people that grow up in Hoods like themself's grew up, caus it gives them hope. Even somebody like me, and I aint from no hood, feels such lyics mostly more than "Rappers Delight" caus even I know how it is to be watched just caus you look like you aint fron the country you live in. Fun Rap is good, Gangsta Rap is good, as long as the Mc is able to write and spit it right.

by the way, You diss them for not talking about what theyr lifeis really like. Well Lerkot, you also diss Rappers for talking about Bling Bling and Hoe's all day. Unfortunatly if they talk about that, they do just what you are asking for, caus thats prolly exactly how they'r lifes look like these days.

Edited by Turntable

I've never been overly impressed by any of the 3, but Ice T is a Hip-Hop legend, and NWA are Hip-Hop legends. 50 Cent ain't even Hip-Hop, he's Pop Rap.

You can't go through life being assaulted by cops, talking to drug dealers etc... and then make songs like Rapper's Delight.

Rapper's Delight was straight-up wack, but don't you believe that these bubble gum rappers of today went through anything harder than any of the pioneers did. All you need to do is look at the crime statistics and see who's environments were harder. There may be more guns in the streets now (maybe), but when it comes down to dealin' with the school of hard knocks these suckers have no fuggin' clue!

Lerkot, your right, they arent telling what they go through right now, caus right now they are ritch and they dont have to worry about the Ghetto life. But they used to live that way, and now they "tell story's" about it. Even the most commercial Gangsta Rappers, like Ja Rule etc. do some Songs on every Album to talk about what they been through, and abou how you can manage it. They do it for the people that grow up in Hoods like themself's grew up, caus it gives them hope. Even somebody like me, and I aint from no hood, feels such lyics mostly more than "Rappers Delight" caus even I know how it is to be watched just caus you look like you aint fron the country you live in. Fun Rap is good, Gangsta Rap is good, as long as the Mc is able to write and spit it right.

by the way, You diss them for not talking about what theyr lifeis really like. Well Lerkot, you also diss Rappers for talking about Bling Bling and Hoe's all day. Unfortunatly if they talk about that, they do just what you are asking for, caus thats prolly exactly how they'r lifes look like these days.

Don't you believe it! None of it!

"I dont like storytelling - especially not when it isnt really storytelling, it is the rapper trying to fool you that he is living a life he really isnt living. Like 50 Cent, Ice-T and the NWA dudes are doing...The content of the lyrics is the most important part of hiphop, at least in my opinion. Outkast got that..."

Um...what??? So you believe this "pimp" stuff that Outkast is puttin out but not NWA and Ice-T??? Outkast are just as violent:

"Jump and you'll get you sprayed...Many a n**** fallin fast and I continue blastin, swiftly...And under my seat for you suckers its your final curtain call...The one two to the guage p-u-m-p, You want to do a jack, I heat the barrel til it's empty, get me"

Of course that was a long time ago, but is that any more believeable than NWA and Ice??? If it wasn't for them, Outkast wouldn't be making those lyrics.

Slick Rick was one of the originators in rapping about hoes and jewlery too I might add, rappers like 50 Cent and Puffy would tell you that Slick Rick inspired them to make bling bling raps

Yeah Outkast has made some pretty bad stuff that I dont like, but they compensate it with fantastic depth in the lyrics that is nowhere around if I check NWA lyrics.

And no Turntable, I'm sorry, they didnt use to live like that. Its like what Mel says, gangsters dont rap.

And Ted, as I said, I do not like Rick for his lyrical content but for his humour and voice.