JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

When Did U Start Writing Rhymes?

mfuqua23

wow interesting stories guys...I guess the only time I'd ever really "spit" would be on this board, but I'm not good at all....hence why I haven't won a championship yet. I've gotta close with Prince one time but I'm not all too great. I might get back starting to write some, I sometimes typed lil things up in Notepad on my computer but I later deleted them.

Do you guys write in notebooks or type it?

And FuQ, I love your Summertime '04!!! It rocks and is your name supposed to be "fu*ck" ? cuz i noticed FuQ if you say it..its the f-word. lol.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=DevilsJim89,Aug 4 2004, 12:40 AM]Do you guys write in notebooks or type it?

And FuQ, I love your Summertime '04!!! It rocks and is your name supposed to be "fu*ck" ? cuz i noticed FuQ if you say it..its the f-word. lol.[/quote]
1st: I Write in notebooks. Like when I 1st started, I did em in pencil and they got smeared, so I had 2 type em. Then I used pens. The permanent tool.

2nd: I'm glad U enjoy Summertime '04. I loved doin it. But I can still improve.

No, my name is f***. It'z Fuqua. (few-qua). <-- like sayin aqua. ok. does that help u any? Classic mistake. Some people at other boards and probably here too would spell f*** as fuq. And when I searched and found it, I got mad at dat. But at least U asked.

[quote=DevilsJim89,Aug 4 2004, 12:51 AM]haha good thing u put "aqua" there..now i know how to say it...

do you usually write what your feeling at the moment or what? How do you come up with the choruses and stuff?

And is there a site where I can download Rap insturmentals? I need some good beats to write too.[/quote]
Man, I gotcha covered.

Writing: Well, it'z a lil bit of both. Sometimes it will be 4 the moment. Or it will be an idea that will develop over time. Summertime was a development becuz I wanted 2 try 2 make it relate 2 what people would be doin over the summer, in my area. If it relates 2 others, Great! Some songs require a lot of thought. Stories R probably one of the easiest, tho writing is never too easy. I wrote a FULL on 90 line song. 3 verse consisting of 15 rhyme lines in 4 hours. And it was from like 2-6 a.m. the song was called "Why'd U Become A B****" It was a str8 story and very well written. I could create a picture of it.

I also write poetry. Those, R most likely 4 me the 4 moment ones.

Chorus: I think that'z my specialty. Probably cuz I would make short lines as a kid.
Examples - when I was 4, I made these lines following James Brown "I Feel Good"? I said, lol "I gotta pee/ Use my wee"

When the Steelers faced the Patriots in the conference game back in 96 i think, I made a rhyme that followed "Jingle Bell Rock". It went... "Pizza man, pizza man, please hurry up/ we r hungry and the Patriots suck..." i 4get the rest. so funny tho.

I just try 2 sum up the song in those few "catchy" lines. Some R catchy, some aren't.

Instrumentals: Ok, I use bearshare. It'z faster than kazaa. And even if they don't have what ya lookin 4, try goldwave. Wit it, u don't download beats. u cd audio extract them. I do that and loop em. I did that wit the G-Unit Beg For Mercy CD. U'll definitely hear one of em sometime at my site.

U don't have 2 write 2 beats. Sometimes it'z better 2 just write in general. Cuz if U write 2 the beat. U may follow exactly what the beat does. And Will says not 2 do it. He also says 2 write about things u know. (most likely experienced)

Now anything else u need 2 kno? Edited by mfuqua23

[quote=Hero1,Aug 4 2004, 01:23 AM]i gota a great little intro/quote we could use on the song as well..abt hip hop being worldwide[/quote]
That'z good. I'm thinkin that Brakes should make the beat so it will actually be OUR song. Well any1 who can make a beat.

[quote=DevilsJim89,Aug 4 2004, 02:09 AM]Thats one thing I still dont get, how do you create a beat? How is it done, what do you need?[/quote]
Well, I just loop mine. But 2 "create" a beat, I'd ask da brakes bout it. I just know that he uses Reason. If it helps, Will Smith does too.

Example of What I Do: Ok, G-Unit's "Salute U". The 1st 0:11 seconds of the song is the beat. I'd CD extract that and listen 2 it 4 the place I'd break and loop. It was a count of 8, but I used 4 cuz 50 Cent would start during the 8th. I just copied that part and pasted it. That created a new sound window, and then I went to the end and just looped it. I play it back 2 make sure it'z the right spot and then just keep doin it. Once it'z like a minute or so, I copy the whole thing and loop that. And the minutes add up. Once that'z finished, if I wanted 2 (which I did), I added a fade out.

If I'd make beats, I'd use my keyboard but I don't have batteries 4 it yet, and I need better audio software.

[quote=DevilsJim89,Aug 4 2004, 02:24 AM]Also how does Goldwave extract just the music and not the vocals? im confused..lol[/quote]
It doesn't do it like that. I think the above post I made ^ should sum that up. Just tell me the song U want 2 extract and I'll tell U the steps.

[quote=DevilsJim89,Aug 3 2004, 10:40 PM]wow interesting stories guys...I guess the only time I'd ever really "spit" would be on this board, but I'm not good at all....hence why I haven't won a championship yet. I've gotta close with Prince one time but I'm not all too great. I might get back starting to write some, I sometimes typed lil things up in Notepad on my computer but I later deleted them.

Do you guys write in notebooks or type it?

And FuQ, I love your Summertime '04!!! It rocks and is your name supposed to be "fu*ck" ? cuz i noticed FuQ if you say it..its the f-word. lol.[/quote]
Hey man when I started rappin' I wasn't great at it either, it takes some time to develop your skills, just keep on trying and you'll get better at it. Your rhymes that u wrote on the board during the freestyle battles are very good for someone just starting out, all you gotta do is develop a way to write songs and you'll do well. When I first started writing songs I wrote on looseleaf papers that I put in a folder but when it got overstuffed I decided to write songs in notebooks in 2001, I'm working on my 4th notebook, that's about an average of 1 notebook each year, that's not counting a separte notebook that I write poems in(they're more like personal stories you'd write in a journal) and since I got my computer in March, I type some of my lyrics on NotePad as well. Well now that I'm working 2 jobs I don't have much time to write songs like I used to but I'm trying to get back on pace in between as much as I can 'cause I love to do it so much. :werd: I'd love to record, but I don't have anything to record with right now, I really need to find a DJ to hook up with.