JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

When Did U Start Writing Rhymes?

mfuqua23

OK, Let's find out when everyone started rapping, how long, and where it started.

Ok me, I actually started towards the end of August 2001. But officially wrote my first rap Sept. 15, 2001.

Like I said, it was toward the end of August 2001. One day, I was lookin for my Space Jam tape, or just happened 2 find it. I listened 2 "Hit Em High". But somethin happened. I got inspired 2 write myself. It was during LL Cool J's part when he said "I make ya break ya ankles son, shake ya down..." And that'z where my 1st rap "Broken Ankles" was born. 2 think, I was relaxin on my bed and then BOOM!. Lyrics from my mind had begun. When I 1st started, I wrote lyrics on a monthly basis. Then it became every few weeks, then dayz, and now hours. In another month, it will have been 3 yearz. Well, y'all kno where it started, now when will it stop? NEVER :thumb:

When Did U Start Writing Rhymes?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Prince
I did really basic stuff when I first started school... It was really basic stuff though, as that's what we were encouraged to do. When I first started listening to JJFP I got the inspiration to try out new things so spent hours listening to Hip-Hop and how they laced the rhymes etc. In my spare time I have always read alot of books, and it was in early '02 when I wrote a few lines, that I realised I had a big vocabulary as a result of reading. Around this time I wrote my first proper rhyme, "Life Game"...

I write every few days now, I used to write for hours each day but found when I did that the lyrics were often meaningless and meant nothing to me... But as I have a bigger gap between sessions I get a longer chance to think things through, and live my life (where I get my inspiration).

At the moment though I don't see how I could ever record... I hate the sound of my own voice! But I guess everybody does at first until they get used to it, right?

Here's the story of when Big Ted started writing rap songs, it all started on one day in April of 2000 when I was 15 years old, there was this girl that I liked in school when I was a freshman and she liked rap a lot too so I decided to start rappin' to impress her, I didn't like her 4 2 long after that point but that didn't stop me from writing rap songs, she wasn't feeling my style but a lot of my friends back then were, I wasn't that serious back then wit rapping, I went under the rap name of Phat Teddy back then(only the cats that knew me back then in school would know that), but about a year later my best friend gave me the rap name Big Ted and I've kept that name since. :werd: Since the end of 2000 I've been writing at least one song a week(sometimes 3 or 4 back when I was a senior in high school I wrote a lot), for about the 1st year my rhymes were about average, but after September 11, 2001 when terroists hit America and my grandma passed away 3 months later I've gotten more serious in my rap style, my songs are now like songs that Chuck D or KRS-ONE would write, when I look back at songs I wrote 4 years ago I go "damn was that really me, how could i have wrote this crap?". :kekeke: I started freestylin' on the school bus against my friends everyday and in the lunch rooms too, it was so much fun! :thumb: But since I graduated from high school I barely write 2 or 3 songs a month 'cause I've been working a lot, they're very high quality songs though, so even at that pace that's still at least 2 albums a year, a lot of my songs are from life experiences and are very personal 2 me, and that means more to me than a record deal, when I see a lot of the music industry is phony I don't wanna be like them, I'll be happy wit sharing my rhymes wit a few peeps, and I don't plan on stop rapping either no matter what profession I am 'cause like KRS-ONE said "Rap is something you do but Hip-Hop is SOMETHING YOU LIVE! :dj: Edited by bigted

well i wrote a hell of alot of songs, ask prince he used to read them bk in the days of msn (whoever wants 2 write a song wit me "Jozey12@hotmail.com") but i made lyrics in album blocks, i had about 5 albums of 20 songs each, they were all whack so i didnt concidered my self a writer then, but about 2 months ago once my lyrics were lost i decided i wasnt going to give up that easy, i started to write more songs....

J-o-e

I use 2 be like U Prince. I thought I had a pretty good voice. But when I rapped on the mic, i was like what?!?. But tried varing it, but I got use 2 it. cuz it'z me. So this is what U hear. I'm gettin ready 2 get my music software back and lace a freestyle.

btw, my 1st freestyle was "The Pledge". It was an acapella wit Ashanti sayin "Murder I-N-C". It was crazy. Only peeps at blazing mic heard it. And it will never be heard again. sorry.

Guest Prince
[quote=J-o-e,Aug 1 2004, 09:58 PM]well i wrote a hell of alot of songs, ask prince he used to read them bk in the days of msn (whoever wants 2 write a song wit me "Jozey12@hotmail.com") but i made lyrics in album blocks, i had about 5 albums of 20 songs each, they were all whack so i didnt concidered my self a writer then, but about 2 months ago once my lyrics were lost i decided i wasnt going to give up that easy, i started to write more songs....

J-o-e[/quote]
J-o-e, still got 'em in the received files folder so if you're interested, then I've got the hook up. Edited by Prince

In 6th grade I think is when I wrote my first two songs. Recently this summer I found those songs. They were really wack. I threw them away.

In my sophmore year. Some of my friends got into freestyling. I was feeling like getting into it. Well one day during Spanish class, we were having a party. My friend was like "Chris, let's hear you beatbox." I picked up the mic and went at it. He was impressed cause I did it better than him. I started freestyling later. It became something that was almost everyday. I battled with some others I knew at lunch. Then, all but one of us in the group of four left for 3 different schools for our Junior year.

Junior year didn't bring anything. I did begin writing at home on the computer. I have one finished song (my intro), and a lot of unfinished songs, and a lot of collections of bars that came to my mind. But the summer that I'm now in has been pumping in creative juices through my veins. I have a pad of paper and a marker in my room that I've been writing in. I recently got a new computer that I plan to use it for what I create.

I'm planning to buy a keyboard (the musical kind) and a nice mic for my music and for a movie I've been working on making into a reality. I'm hoping to be able get my music and movie out by the end of 2005. A lot of work to do, but worth it if you enjoy it.

God Blessa! Edited by djsilvertiger

Guest Prince
[quote=djsilvertiger,Aug 1 2004, 11:40 PM]A lot of work to do, but worth it if you enjoy it.[/quote]
Yeah that's what it's all about man... That's why we do what we do!

I started writing when i was 14! I used to be part of a rap duo. We went by the name of 'Syke and Brakes'. We did loads of stuff together, wrote countless songs but one day I saw a ad for a talent competition in Hackney. I asked Syke if he wanted to do the comp and he said no. So to prove to him that I had the ability I entered it myself! Boy did he regret it! I won 1st prize in my category and overall best talent. And since then I never looked back. I decided it would be better if I rap alone and hence 'Da Brakes' was born!! I am so happy at the way things have worked out! I much prefer being a solo artist than rapping in a group!!

[quote=Da Brakes,Aug 3 2004, 05:53 AM]I much prefer being a solo artist than rapping in a group!![/quote]
Me too, my so-called best friend that gave me the name of Big Ted used to be my potna in rhyme and he was known as Brhymin' R. and we were a duo. We were planning for weeks to enter the talent show in our high school back in 10th grade, I memorized all my lyrics for our song so i did well in spitting my verse, but he didn't do that well in memorizing his verse and he screwed it up for the both of us! :cussing: After that it seems things went downhill for him, it seemed that he wasn't as dedicated with improving his skill as I was, so I was the best in my high school that everyone was trying to beat in a freestyle competition, and nobody paid attention to him anymore. :werd: I'm keeping my name Big Ted so that way one day if I get famous he'll remember how much he screwed up to not wanna rep wit me. :kekeke: It's easier to be solo 'cause you're always gonna stay true to you and nobody has to change your ways, be yourself! :thumb:

Guest Prince
[quote=bigted,Aug 3 2004, 04:01 PM]It's easier to be solo 'cause you're always gonna stay true to you and nobody has to change your ways, be yourself! :thumb:[/quote]
Yeah, you're on the right line of thinking there I think. Nobody to hold ya back, nobody to push you quicker than you want, just doing it the way you know best and feel comfortable with. I think it's really rare that you can find a working partnership... So when there is a duo that work perfectly together, it makes it all the more special; like there's a magic in it that nobody can remove. There are many old schoolers like that.

[quote=bigted,Aug 3 2004, 04:01 PM]my so-called best friend that gave me the name of Big Ted used to be my potna in rhyme[/quote]
Wow!! R situations are so similar. My potna 'Syke' gave me my rapping name as well!! Your whole situiation is almost identical to mine!!

Da Brakes, Prince, bigted. I relate in a way 2 each one of U.

I can honestly say I like workin solo than in a group. I've broke from em like 3 times. Members left and came back. It was so krazy. Trey (TAG) was movin at a faster pace then was needed. He said "I know what it takes 2 make it." He was a control freak 2 me. One day he said he was gonna change my rap name 2 Hot-head cuz I didn't listen 2 him.

Recently, it'z been me (but I don't consider myself in his group), TAG, and Beckus. I couldn't work wit Beckus cuz he frustrates me wit where he is wit skill level. But I was gonna try workin wit him 2morrow. TAG just thinks he knows everything. One day I asked him "If U know how 2 make it, why haven't U?" He said "Cuz I don't wanna do it alone". He's afraid I guess. I kinda was, but U gotta open up 2 people some. And I'm workin on that. When ya solo, U can collab wit any1 U want. And vice-versa.

U know, maybe da 4 of us should make a song 2gether. What y'all think? Edited by mfuqua23