JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will: "I Haven't done much music of late..."

• Admin

The `Big W' in Mumbai

Prachi Pinglay

Smitten by Aishwarya Rai, blown away by Amitabh

THE PRINCE: Will Smith in Mumbai.

MUMBAI: He has always been a performer — being so chic in school that he was called "Prince," rapping to get Grammys, and recreating Muhammad Ali on screen.

Hollywood star Will Smith was at his best when he did one more act here this past week: generously dishing out hugs to smitten women journalists at a press conference .

Smith was launching "Pix," an English movie channel from Sony Entertainment Television.

On his first trip to India, the six-foot rapper was all praise. "I love the contrasts. When I was travelling from Delhi to Agra, I saw a cow sitting on the road, a beautiful lady with a bright red and yellow dress and a man talking on the cell phone. ... It was amazing."

Love for the Taj

An ardent romantic, he could not stop raving about the Taj Mahal. "When I was there, I felt I was Shah Jehan. I totally understand his love." However, after his arrival in Mumbai on Wednesday, it has been mostly work, including meetings with producers and directors.

Anything specific on the agenda? "The beauty and power of Indian cinema is tremendous. I'm just meeting people and making friends. Yeah, I am looking for a big project." On Hindi films, the wannabe "Big W" (imitating "Big B" Amitabh Bachchan) said: "I have started watching them. DVDs after DVDs. ... I have watched about 10 but I must say the first one I watched is my favourite — Sarkar. I was just blown away by Amitabh Bachchan."

Another attraction is Aishwarya Rai. "I wanted her to be part of Hitch but that didn't work out as she was doing another film. But let her make anything, and I am there. The power of her beauty... she doesn't have to do anything. She just has to be there," he declares.

Among those whom Smith met are Karan Johar, Subhash Ghai and Vidhu Vinod Chopra. He also met Abhishek Bachchan and was impressed by his latest hip-hop number.

Mr. Smith, an established rapper with four Grammy titles under his belt, chuckles at the prospect of teaming up with Abhishek. "Yeah, why not!" he exclaims, adding, "His song is good. I am taking his songs with me to the United States."

Smith, known as "Fresh Prince" in the music world, lights up at the mention of music. "Music is much more personal. I write all my music; so it's what I feel. It is like a piece of me. Movies are different. You do what a director wants you to do. It connects to a larger audience and is inspiring. Music is closer. However, I haven't been doing much music of late because I am so busy with movies."

From being an award-winning rapper, a television artist and a movie star, there is hardly anything the Philadelphia boy has not done. Except, of course, computer engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). "My mother wanted me to study there. In fact, she used to send my applications. I was always very good at math, and at that time they were offering new courses in computer engineering. But I always knew I wanted to do music. So my parents gave me a year. They said we would see what happens in a year." What happened was "Fresh Prince" got together with D.J. Jazzy Jeff, and the rappers never looked back.

The 37-year-old Hollywood star has been in the spotlight for a good 18 years. However, stardom has not changed him. "Success does not change a person. It only magnifies you. It allows you to be who you are. " Yes, with a lavender shirt, diamond studs and a class act, he still remains the "Fresh Prince."

http://www.hindu.com/2006/02/26/stories/2006022601232000.htm

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:paperbag: :ohdear:

Maybe in 2020 we'll get a JJFP reunion tour...

Edited by bigted

Will contradicts himself 'cause if he says he loves music so much he would do it more often, he says he doesn't worry about sales now he says that he does movies more 'cause they're more popular than his music, and then he'll come back 3 years from now with another album and be asking people why he don't get respect for his music.... :blabla:

Edited by bigted

sometimes i think that Will is just talkin bull**** to keep loyal fans like us and not to disappoint us, but you know what? with the way he acts over and over again, he doesnt deserve more respect in his music stuff.

ppl are right when they say he's not a real musician. sad but true :word:

I guess I'll be the lone voice in the wilderness but I don't see a problem with what he said. I'd rather him make a great album every 2 or 3 years(like Lost & Found) than be like the rest of the industry releasing garbage every 12 months.

He can't really afford to take a break doing movies because that's where his fame is. It's because of his fame as an actor that he can continue to release albums. If he wasn't the major star that he is in Hollywood do you really think he would be still out just doing rap? Look at LL, Ice Cube and Queen Latifah. They all have longevity and a large part of that is because they took on acting to keep their names out there. If not, they would be reduced to what a lot of old-school rappers are reduced to... recording on indie labels with no real chance of mass exposure.

I'll take the music whenever I can get it from Will. He's 37 now and knows that he can't rap forever. Acting is the venue that will keep his name out there for another 20-30 years(hopefully with an Oscar award or two along the way). Rap isn't going to do that.

sometimes i think that Will is just talkin bull**** to keep loyal fans like us and not to disappoint us, but you know what? with the way he acts over and over again, he doesnt deserve more respect in his music stuff.

ppl are right when they say he's not a real musician. sad but true :word:

Will has more fans as an actor, so why should he disapoint them? :stickpoke:

Will is an Actor and a Rapper. He wants to do both, and he does a damn good job. He`s kiks Albums out in a good routine and he allways works on his skilss as an actor and a rapper.

And please give me a definition of real musician, Rakim, Slick Rick or to go big way, Michael Jackson dont do ****. Now you wanna say they arent real musicians?