JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Good songs.

Big Ben

for those confused those are links to DMC's myspace and website where u can listen to tracks off his upcoming album.

i gotta be honest, i might not buy the album if it all sounds like that. i have no problem with the rock beats, i like them, but they arent as good as a perfect hip hop beat. in watchtower (see myspace link) he sounds horrible, like a weedwhacker as Will would say on FPOBA. machine gun is a lot better and the message is good. the problem is that i cant focus on the song for 4 minutes when its some rock guy sayin the same chorus over and over or when DMC isn't really rapping his verses. i'm not dissapointed because i didnt expect much from a man who can hardly talk, but if the whole album sounds like that then why would i waste my money?

I love "Watchtower." I can't wait 2 check the album. I like this joint more than most of the stuff on Run's album. "Machine Gun" i'm not feeling 2 much. I love the old school simplicity and the way he's mixing different styles. This is definitly Hip-Hop for those who have grown up on it since the 80's. The pix are dope...and i love the album cover!! Run-DMC just dosen't age.

I think its a bit naive of him to try doing an album by himself when his voice is in that condition. I wont stand listening to him on a whole album, that aint gonna happen. And I doubt it will sell anything at all, really.

I don't think its naive at all, its his passion. No one really said he's doing it himself, if you would take a look at the track listing you'll see there is alot of people on it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGDMZ...v=glance&n=5174

I don't think he cares about how much he sells either, just like I don't think Will cares how much he sells. He does not seem to be doing it for the money I just don't get that feeling from him, watch the making of video. Anyway, you can throw my name in the hat for buying it.

I found an article on DMC's album, there's gonna be other guests on it too :

DMC Hoping 67-Year-Old White Guys Dig His New Record

02.13.2006 6:00 AM EST

Run-DMC icon about to drop classic-rock-inspired album in March.

Darryl "DMC" McDaniels

Photo: Ethan Miller/Getty Images

"My Le Coq Sportif" is not an easy rap to write.

"I have been trying," laughed DMC, who recently abandoned his signature Adidas shoes, immortalized in Run-DMC's 1986 classic "My Adidas," for a Le Coq Sportif look.

"People are saying,

"I want the 67-year-old white guy from the boondocks in Wisconsin to hear my record and go, 'I'll listen to that.' " — DMC

'They probably paid DMC a lot of money to take those Adidas off,' but I found them, they didn't find me," the rapper promised.

D's change in shoes — and entire wardrobe for that matter ("I don't wear the glasses now, I wear contacts") — is all part of a reinvention that began some 10 years ago, when the man who dubbed himself "The King of Rock" discovered classic-rock music.

"I liked the instruments, I liked what they talk about on the records," he said. "It's information. It's universal. It could relate to life."

With his group temporarily disbanded, DMC was stuck in a creative and emotional slump and even felt suicidal, until he suddenly found a new reason to pick up a microphone.

"As opposed to just doin' a record where I'm talkin' about how good I am and I'm the king of this ... I'm just going to talk about what I go through in life, what's happenin' overseas, what's happenin' in the schools," he said. "I was at a point where I was asking myself, 'How does a b-boy grow up into a b-man?' I can't rhyme about what I did when I was 18. And I heard a lot of rap cats, they always say, 'Yo, when I get 35, I don't know if I'm gonna be rappin'.' And that was devastating when I heard it, because does Bruce Springsteen stop playing the guitar 'cause he's 50?"

Without knowing what he would do with them, DMC started writing songs that were intensely personal or political. "It was fun, it was adventurous, it was something new, and I was free to be Darryl as opposed to DMC," he said.

Eventually, he started collaborating on tracks by peers like Kid Rock, DJ Lethal, Buckcherry singer Josh Todd, Korn bassist Fieldy, Doug E. Fresh, and Aerosmith's Joey Kramer and Tom Hamilton (see "DMC Hits Rock Bottom, Climbs Back With Help of Limp Bizkit's DJ Lethal").

Along the way, D also decided to write an autobiography, which ultimately led to the catalyst of his reinvention. "I wanted to start the book, 'Yo, what's up? I'm DMC, you know me, Darryl McDaniels of the groundbreaking rap group Run-DMC. I was born May 31st, 1964,' but that's all I knew, so I called my moms up," the rapper recalled.

His mom gave him some shocking information: He was adopted.

"At first, I was gonna get really sad about it," D recalled. "But then I said, 'If my [birth] mother never gave me up, my mother would have never came and got me, I would have never moved to Hollis, I would have never met Joe, we would have never formed Run-DMC and none of this rap sh-- would have jumped off. 'I'm gonna write a record that's gonna help kids in the foster homes, or that are lookin' to adopt a kid.' "

For the track, called "Just Like Me," DMC sampled Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" and recruited his favorite artist of all time to sing the chorus: Sarah McLachlan.

"I tell people now that my first 25 years in this game were tremendous, but my next 25 will [be even better]," D said. " 'Cause right now I'm like a little kid, everything is new to me. My identity is new to me. This music is new to me."

It's taken him nearly a decade (see "Big Plans Under DMC's Kangol Hat: Solo Career, Movie, Cartoon, Label" and "DMC Gets Real With Sarah McLachlan On Checks, Thugs, And Rock 'N' Roll"), but DMC's debut solo album, Checks, Thugs and Rock 'n' Roll, is finally being released March 14, coinciding with a VH1 documentary featuring D tracking down his birth parents.

"It's a bit of time [to be] working on a record, but it doesn't seem that long," he said. "I didn't set out to do a record where the people that I made the music with, that they just do the track and you come in and do your vocals. Everybody that I worked with, we started from scratch and we composed and we arranged and created new music."

D has already shot two videos, one for "Just Like Me" and another, directed by Ondi Timoner ("Dig!"), for "Machine Gun," an Iraq War commentary featuring vocals from "C.S.I." star Gary Dourdan. The album also features a tribute to Jam Master Jay called "Missin' My Friend" and collaboration with Run called "Come Together."

"It's really a universal album," D said. "I want the 65-year-old — no, older than that — the 67-year-old white guy from the boondocks in Wisconsin that don't give a damn about rap to hear my record and go, 'I'll listen to that.

Well, this isn't Run-DMC. It's ironic that he had one of the strongest voices in Hip-Hop...it's crazy that he's lost alot of that power. But it isn't how loud u say it...it's what u are saying. While i'm not sure what 2 expect on this new album, i'm glad he hasn't stayed in the traditional Run-DMC fashion. I love Run's album, but i'm kinda disappointed that it's just an extention of what Run-DMC did. DMC has embraced the change in his voice, the change in Hip-Hop, and what's in his heart. Even if i wazn't ready 2 pick up this album, i'd still respect it. I think it's unfair 2 hold the Run-DMC standards 2 this solo album. I'm real happy that Run is on the album tho.' I'm real excited about that.

On a slightly unrelated note, DMC is feeling one of the new groups i've really gotten in2. The "rediculous rap" Hip-Hop group Loose Cannons gets alot of support on this one radio station. DMC waz stopping by that radio station 2 do an interview. They played him a Loose Cannon's song and he waz feeling it. Apparently it got stuck in his head and he waz singing it in the elevador of the radio station building.