JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hip-Hop Producer Jay Dilla Has Passed Away

bigted

AJ// No problem man!

---

Thanks for the link!

----

Damn it feels so damn weird that he died u know? I was waiting for him to produce more Common songs or see him drop a solo album.

have anyone heard a rapper publicly talk about this?

AJ// No problem man!

---

Thanks for the link!

----

Damn it feels so damn weird that he died u know? I was waiting for him to produce more Common songs or see him drop a solo album.

have anyone heard a rapper publicly talk about this?

wouldn't say a rapper, but Jeff was talkin bout how it hit him pretty hard ,cuz it was his friend.. why dont u stop by jeff's myspace, or his site and give condolensces for the friend he's lost? I can imagine all of US losing such a musical contribution,..but to lose a close friend? ah man..

peace,

cookie

Yeah those of y'all who got Myspace should send condolences to Jay Dilla on his myspace page, that one person describes exactly how I feel, I didn't know who he was for a while either until I looked at the credits on my CDs but I'd have to say that he produced a lot of my favorite stuff, he definately made a big impact on hip-hop history and will be missed:

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...20DA1ED83339248

The funny thing about J Dilla is that he was one of my favorite producers before I actually knew who he was. From listening to the Pharcyde to Mad Skillz to Keith Murry to A Tribe Called Quest, once I discovered who was maken some of those classic tracks I was like, "I should have known." Please don't sleep on his Rhymin either. I think that next to the rest of the members of Slum Village, he was one of the best MC's to Rhyme over his beats. He also had a great voice that not only enabled him to have an exceptional delivery but also have the ability to carry a tune well enough to have some pretty catchy hooks. I feel one of the main characteristics of true Hip Hop is having music scattered everywhere so that one would have to hunt various places to find some of the tightest music. Now yaw ni*** know that he was the master of having some sh** that you aint ever heard. I don't care how extensive your Dilla archives were, someone always had something that you haden't heard from him. Damn Im gonna miss that cat. I never met Dilla but it certainly felt like I knew him. I in particular have a very stingy ear. Dilla managed to appease whatever I needed as far as a beat was concerned. Now thats gangsta. R.I.P. Dilla Dawg. Im out.

Edited by bigted

well, ud prolly hafta get approved on the 'friend' list, and i don't wanna seem like im tryna jump on the 'bandwagon' after the fact... I like to add music promotions on my site, but when Mrs. Coretta Scott King and J. Dilla left us during "Black Month History" time..it only felt natural in my heart to put all that aside and salute these two for Black History Month...

peace,

cookie

Well if anyone here was down with Jay Dilla like that then it'd be appropriate to post there...

Well I wasn't really quite sure if you had to be on a friend list or not to post there, I thought it was just like a forum where you could post, I was just trying to help out that's all, I don't use myspace.com so I didn't know that, my bad... :paperbag:

Anyways Q-Tip and Common are planning to do a memorial conert in his honor:

Funeral Services For Producer J Dilla To Take Place In Los Angeles

By Nolan Strong

Date: 2/12/2006 7:00 pm

Funeral services for Detroit rapper/producer J Dilla, who died Friday (Feb. 10) of complications from lupus, will take place this week in Los Angeles. He was 32.

A viewing for J Dilla, born James Yancey, will be held Monday (Feb. 13) at the Forest Lawn Mortuary, followed by a funeral Tuesday (Feb. 14) in the Recessional Hall.

A memorial concert is also being planned.

Sources told AllHipHop.com that rappers Q-Tip and Common are among the concert organizers, though the venue has yet to be determined.

J Dilla, also known as "Jay Dee," was a founding member of the rap trio Slum Village. He left the group in 2003 to pursue a solo career and has since produced songs for Common, Erykah Badu, Busta Rhymes, The Roots, De La Soul, The Pharcyde and others.

In 2004, J Dilla revealed that he had kidney problems and in 2005, the rapper spent a considerable amount of time in the hospital fighting the disease, which causes the immune system to attack the body's own tissue and organs, including the brain, heart, lungs, blood, kidneys, skin and other vital organs.

According to the Lupus Foundation of America, approximately 1.5 million Americans have a form of the disease, which affects men and women of all ages.

Lupus is two to three times more common among African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians and Native Americans.

In the most severe lupus cases, the immune system cannot tell the difference between foreign substances and its own cells and tissue. The immune system then creates antibodies to protect against its "self."

Before his death, J Dilla had been working on The Shining, the follow-up to his 2001 solo debut Welcome To Detroit.

The album was slated to drop independently, via BBE in June.

While in the hospital and in his home studio, J Dilla also crafted the recently released instrumental album, Donuts.

"Jay was one of my favorite Hip-Hop producers of all time," said BBE Founder Peter Adarkwah. "His passion for music was a rare thing amongst people in the music industry. His music and presence will be sorely missed for many years to come."

Detroit rapper Guilty Simpson, who worked with J Dilla on various projects, is featured on The Shining.

"J Dilla was the best to do it. He influenced a whole movement in Hip-Hop," Simpson told AllHipHop.com. "There isn't a top-notch producer in the game [who] wasn't influenced by his sound. I just appreciate being able to work with him and soak up some of the knowledge he gave me. He will never be forgotten."

Submit News!

Edited by bigted

"Beats, Rhymes & Life": Hip-Hoppers Remember J Dilla

Wednesday - February 15, 2006 by Jesse Gissen

On Friday (February 10), hip-hop tragically lost another one of its greatest talents with the passing of J Dilla, a highly respected producer known for injecting soul into his music and for crafting some of hip-hop's greatest songs.

Also known as Jay Dee (born James Dewitt Yancey), the Detroit native passed away after a battle with Lupus.

Besides creating signature soundscapes for artists like A Tribe Called Quest, Busta Rhymes, Common, and his own group Slum Village, among others, Dilla was also a rapper. He has amassed legions of dedicated fans including platinum-selling beatmakers The Neptunes' Pharrell Williams and Kanye West, with whom he worked with on Common's grammy-nominated album Be.

"Some days I felt like I wasn't even in the same league with the guy," 9th Wonder, Little Brother's producer who has also worked with Jay-Z and Destiny's Child, told SOHH. "His work ethic, persistence and genius work says it all. I felt like he, along with Pete Rock and DJ Premier, was looking over my shoulder every record I listened to, and every beat I made... Funny thing is, although we were and will always be connected somehow, I never even had the pleasure to meet or talk to him."

Ghostface Killah, who recently worked with Dilla on his upcoming album, Fishscale, was also touched by his passing. "I respect his work period... Another good brother is lost in hip-hop."

Last night (February 14), Conscious, founder of freehiphopnow.com held a tribute to J Dilla in NYC. Fans showed up at all hours of Valentine's night to pay tribute to the man while rotating DJs showcased his work.

"Plainly put, most people would consider the man a beatmaker, but nah he was a little bit more than that, actually he was a musician," Conscious told SOHH. "I think he made music until it killed him."

DJ Polarity, a fan who was also at the event added, "There was actual heart involved in what Dilla did, whether it was Slum Village, De La [soul], or whoever you know throughout the years he always had something that was a cut above the rest. It was real tragic that he passed away nonetheless he's gonna live on through his music... I'm gonna keep remembering him for what he did for the craft, and also what he did for the people, giving them a new sound. Dilla will be remembered by millions."

Judging from last night's event and the other tributes thrown throughout the world, Detroit soulchild J Dilla is destined to live on. Conscious says he even plans on throwing an annual tribute on Dilla's birth date (February 7).

"He gave me a real, real nice one," Ghost said. Word... That sums it up best.

James Dewitt Yancey (1974-2006) R.I.P