JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The destruction of Party Starter

thachief

• Members

This is knid mf my reaction to the podcast, which i think was a great idea and i've enjoyed each one so far. personally i think to label Switch as the reason for the lack of success for party Starter is wrong. Without Switch I don't think we would have had Party Starter and i think we should all count our lucky stars for Switch because it's thrusted Will back into the game. It gets plyed in clubs all the time and that can never be a bad thing, party Starter was not promoted at all by Will because he was shooting so that's it. Will can have no complaints that it only had modest success, usually still amde top 20, because he wasn't out there like he was for Switch. There are a few fans here that seem to resent Switch! I think its brilliant and we should enjoy Switch for years to come. The apparant Will fans that don't like Switch are probably the same ones that don't like Wild Wild West and Will2K. Just because theyw ere singles releeased from a good album, how can you not like Wild Wild West??? I remember when i first heard it i was instantly in love with it and Will2K is great when New Years Eve comes around and your having a party! Okay Freakin It wasn't great compared to the rest of the quality on that album but would anything else have actually sold more records? probably not if were honest, even though the quality of So Fresh, Potnas, Rain, Da Butta and others are clearly better.

• Admin

hey thanks for the feedback.. I think given radio's icey reaction to party starter only 600 spins compared with switchs 7000+ whenever party starter would be released it wouldnt be a hit.. I think Switchs success was great and put Will back in the rap game with a top 10 track after many counted him out.. I've always liked Switch from when I heard it 18 months ago :2thumbs:

"Switch" is dope and waz a great single choice. After all, look what it's done. "Party Starter" waz a great choice 2, but they took 2 long 2 release it. Radio and TV have turned their shoulder on it 4 no reason. There's no other reason why the song hasn't hit the way it should have.

If "Party Starter" got released in the middle of July at the latest when "Switch" was at its peak I think it would've been huge, I think it'd probably would've been Will's biggest hit since "Summertime", they'd be playing that at every club, barbeque, rides, etc, "Switch" was hot but I thought it was just the start of even bigger things but people lost interest in "Lost and Found" already so we'll never know how huge it could've been.... Now I think "The Rain" could've had the success of "Just The Two Of Us", that was a universal theme, it'd really boosted "Willenium" sales unlike "Freakin' It", everyone'd feel it no matter where they're from, too bad we can't go back in time though.... Hopefully one day Will could get on some label that releaases singles at a faster pace so that way even if he don't have a lot of time to promote the album, at least the singles'll be out there already, the 3rd single could've been already released by the time he started shooting "Pursuit..." if Interscope'd give Will as much attention as 50 Cent...

Edited by bigted