JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL COOL J: BEHIND THE MUSIC

JumpinJack AJ

VH-1 is airing LL COOL J: Behind The Music. I don't know when this waz put 2gether, but it waz obviously done in the last year, but i'd never seen it b4. I know there are alot of LL fans here. Since he's being honored at the Hip-Hop Honors, i'm expecting them 2 rerun this alot. Keep your eyes open 4 it. Even if u don't like him....check it out.

I just went LL crazy and got the Mama Said Knock You Out, 6 Minutes of Pleasure, Stand By Your Man, and You And Me (Import) CD singles loaded down with remixes. All for like $20...and someone please tell me when In The House will be released on DVD.

I doubt In The House will ever be released on DVD. It was never terribly popular. Not over here anyway.

Shame, i don't know how big it was in the US, but if it took them best part of 10 years to release a monster hit like FPOBA it doesn't look great.

I don't understand why Def Jam hasn't re-released LL's albums yet, they need to be all re-released, it doesn't make sense that "Illmatic" and "Ready To Die" got re-released before "Mama Said Knock You Out", "All World" should be re-released with another disc featuring his hits from 1996-2005 and maybe throw a couple of unreleased tracks on there too, I'd imagine he'd have a lot of them since he's been in the game for 20 years. btw, is there a version of "The G.O.A.T." album with "Shut 'Em Down" on it? I would love to get that version 'cause that's a great song on "Any Given Sunday" soundtrack. Did they add more to "Behind The Music" 'cause I think it aired last year if I'm not mistaken but I need to check for that again so I could record it, I got a tape ready for tonight's show no doubt, I wonder if they'll do one for Big Daddy Kane and Grandmaster Flash/Furious Five, that'd be vintage material there, I know they did one for Salt-N-Pepa.

btw, is there a version of "The G.O.A.T." album with "Shut 'Em Down" on it? I would love to get that version 'cause that's a great song on "Any Given Sunday" soundtrack.

I actualy have that one...But i think most of the G.O.A.T Albums over here in Europe have that Song on it!

I`m not shure tho..But mine version has it!

They've been doing a lot of Hip Hop material lately to get us prepared for the Hip Hop Honors. Vh1 specials on Kanye West, NaS, Biggie, the "And You Don't Stop" series, etc.

I stayed up at 3 in the morning one nite just to watch Nas's cuz I hadn't seen it and was afraid I wouldn't catch it again.

And ted, I don't see why you'd say it doesn't make sense. Perhaps because they are two different labels and don't do things the same.

LL Cool J is the face of Def Jam and hip-hop, well over 20 million sold with a hell lot of street cred unlike most high selling rappers that sold out 'cause he's released 11 quality albums not dumbing down, he's always put skills 1st which every mc should do, there should be no reason to not re-release his albums, Nas and Biggie are cool but LL's the "G.O.A.T.", no hip-hop album should be re-released if his don't get re-released, I'm gonna try to get that European version of "The G.O.A.T.", that's one of my favorite albums ever so that's an exuse in itself to get another copy, lol, I actually played it more than any of his others including his most popular "Mama Said Knock You Out", "Mr. Smith", and "Radio" albums, that's my personal favorite maybe 'cause it's the 1st LL album I bought on release date(I've been listening to LL since '96 but I didn't get his albums when they came out then like I do now) so it has sentimental feeling to it just like "Big Willie Style" that I got mad scratches on, I think that it's an underappreciated classic that solidified LL's street credability at "G.O.A.T." status no doubt, I actually been bumping "10" lately and I realised I underestimated that album 'cause it's quite solid and that's my least favorite one from him, probably since I was doing the same thing that other cats were doing in comparing it to his other classics, it stands well on its own, there ain't an LL album that I bought I don't like, they should just re-release them all but they're all easier to get unlike some of JJFP albums that're hard to find so JJFP albums should be re-released out 1st before anyone else.

Edited by bigted

Here's an article from VH1.com on the Hip-Hop Honors Show:

Kanye, Snoop, Common Join Ice-T, LL, Big Daddy Kane At VH1 Hip Hop Honors

Common, Snoop, T.I. are among those paying tribute to their forebears.

by Shaheem Reid

Big Daddy Kane at VH1's Hip Hop Honors (Photo: Getty)

NEW YORK — Early Friday morning (September 23), at 2:10 a.m. to be exact, in Times Square, there was a hip-hop scene you might only encounter once or twice in a lifetime. Ice-T, Shyheim (the former Rugged Child), the Furious Five, two-thirds of Whodini, Biz Markie, Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock, DJ Whiz (who spun for Kid 'N Play), Kwame and King Sun were all dancing to the words and music of the Sugar Hill Gang, who were on the mic. They had all come to B.B. King's Blues Club and Grill for a rare NYC treat: Big Daddy Kane was performing a concert filled with nothing but classic hits and new freestyles.

Hip-hop has been the predominant musical genre the last two days in the Big Apple. On Thursday night VH1 taped its second-annual Hip Hop Honors show at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Kane and Ice-T were honorees along with Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, LL Cool J, the film "Boyz N the Hood," Salt-N-Pepa and the Notorious B.I.G.

"One of the beautiful things about it is you gonna let the old-school cats perform and you've got a whole generation that has literally never seen Big Daddy Kane," Ice-T said Wednesday at the Hammerstein. As part of his tribute, Ice took the stage with Snoop Dogg for a medley of the Iceman's hits. "A whole generation has never seen LL Cool J onstage, and he's gonna scare the hell out of them. They've never seen the Furious Five, they've never seen Ice-T. They've seen other people, but they ain't never seen us. When they see the origin, they gonna feel it. It's gonna be a great thing."

Ice promised that he and Snoop were going to be keeping it extra gangsta during their set — but nowhere near as hard as Ice used to do it back in the day.

"We used to come out onstage with the pit bulls, pumping shotguns with the blanks," he recalled, citing shows with the Geto Boys and Scarface. "Gangsta rap was rock and roll. It was intentionally meant to cause chaos.

"It's all pimpin' to me," he said of being a guest of honor at the show. "To be honored by VH1 [when I] used to be hated by America — bottom line, it's all about how you control your life. I came out of real crime. So when I get in trouble for making ['Cop Killer'], I'm like, 'I'mma handle this. I ain't kill nobody, y'all gonna have to get over this one.' But it took five or 10 years for that to blow over. Now I'm on TV, and America is like, oh yeah, Ice T is cool. But I'm still a problem. I knew how to clean my image up a little bit, but I'm the same cat."

Common still looks at Big Daddy Kane with the same admiration he did in the late '80s. Com once had the chance to open up for Kane at a concert early in his career. Now Common actually gets to perform with Kane during the Hip Hop Honors ceremony.

"Being able to do a tribute to Kane, who is one of my favorite artists, one of my inspirations, one of the reasons I rap — to be able to be a part of that is a life achievement for me," the Chicago native said during the practice sessions. Salt-N-Pepa and Spinderella were going through their set with En Vogue. "It's like part of a dream. To see Salt-N-Pepa doing rehearsal with En Vogue. ... They're giving a tribute to Grandmaster Flash, LL — as soon as I walked in the place, I felt hip-hop. This gonna be some dope hip-hop, and we saluting it."

Kane's tribute also includes the Roots and T.I.

"I'm happy to have everyone here," the always laid-back Kane said. "T.I. is an incredible person, a major figure in the game who's doing some beautiful things. Common and [black] Thought are very close friends of mine. I'm honored to have them be a part of this. I truly respect them as artists and lyricists. We're gonna have fun with it."

BDK was especially looking forward to seeing Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five take the stage, as he'd never seen all of them perform together. Another first was Salt-N-Pepa performing with En Vogue. It's also the first time all four original members of En Vogue have performed together in seven years, and the first time Salt-N-Pepa have performed with one another in six.

"The first couple of days were rough," laughed Salt shortly after rehearsal. She stood in between Pep and Spin. "A little crick in the neck. We had to stretch a little bit, but it started coming back to us. The hips started moving a bit more."

"We were talking yesterday about how it felt like home being onstage together," Spin said. "That was one of our favorite parts of Salt-N-Pepa, being onstage."

"It feels great to be honored," Salt said. "We kicked down a door or two."

VH1's second annual Hip Hop Honors ceremony airs on the station Monday night at 9 p.m

i haven't heard anything about In The House on DVD either but they play reruns on TVOne all throughout the week, so if you get that channel you can catch it

*OT: they're also about to play New York Undercover from the beginning on TVOne this fall as well, another show that needs to be on DVD,i've been waiting forever

In The House will definitly come out on DVD. My 1st assumption is simply becuz everything gets released. 2ndly, cuz they show did do well. It did okay on NBC and later turned in2 one of UPN's most watched shows.

They got the "Jamie Foxx Show" on DVD and I think "In The House" had basically the same type of success so I think that they'll release it one day too!

• 3 months later...