JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

How do you be a DJ?

DevilsJim89

Okay so you know Ive been to the club, school dances and what not but tonight i was working with my friend at this wedding reception party in a ballroom. They played all types of music like classic rock to disco and hip-hop...even Switch! lol. that got me and everyone pumped. But It hit me tonight. I wanna be that guy standing behind a laptop computer or turntables or cd turntables and making the crowd move. Playing the songs I wanna play and the stuff people wanna hear. I wanna get them going. How do I do something like this?

Assert yourself. If you mean just spinnin Records and what-not, start small. do small shows, a house party here, maybe something bigger there, make a couple bills off that, and work on your skills at the same time.

you know, in time, you can start your own entertainment thing, and let people call you, to come play at their party or something, get some more paper that way. it's nothing easy, but nothing in life is, so stick with it.

I started by doing a friends party, just 2 Cd Walkmans hooked upto a Mixer and a Band PA System. So nothing fancy whatsoever. You can pick up some basic DJ Mixing Decks (CD or Vinyl) for under £150 ($200) these days to get you started.

Then you get your name out quite easily. I got my break last summer when i got a weekly Friday night slot at my local pub/bar. I'd been doing it in my psare time from uni for about 2 years before that. I've done a few bigger nights at clubs aswell. Im no mix master i just try to play the right tunes at the right time.

Just get abit of practice in then let your friends know that whenever they are having a party you'll DJ for them on the cheap. The just prove yourself

I DJ sometimes at smaller clubs that ain't so much danceorientated..more laidback. I do it cause i love to showoff the kind of music i like. Mostly it ranges from G-Funk, Funk, Soul to some Premier beats and new stuff like commons be, I wish i made that, partystarter remixes and some of Kanye's rawers stuff (Crack music is highly liked when played out).

Well i actially don't like the whole laptop, cd-mixer and so on ****.

I only, only mess with turntables and a mixer. It's the most classic and nice thing. Everything else seems like overkill for me..I just wanna play songs..