JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BET Awards Racist?

Guest Bobby

Well they're celebrating black culture. But if I'm not mistaken didn't or wasn't Justin Timberlake got a nod 4 best male artist couple of years back? JT as we know is white. But they are just celebrating their culture. It's like what Maxfly said Hows it racist compare 2 the Country Music Awards or The Latin Grammy's? :smart:

I don't think it's maliciously racist in any way. But it is clearly inherantly racist to have a "Black Entertainment" awards ceremony, even if you nominate whites like Justin Timberlake. Because to segregate conceptions of music and culture by color is still a sign of racial barriers and divides. It's not malicious, but its far from utopian. And for the record, I think there would be quite the uproar if the country music awards were re-named the "White Entertainment" awards, or something along those lines.

Just my take on it all. :wiggle:

Ever heard of the Mobo awards in the UK (Music of Black Origin). I guess its similar to that with JT doing Rhythm and Blues music he's classed under that genre.

The whole BET thing works becuz black people are considered a minority in the US...so they are saying the channel is aimed towards a minority. It wouldn't make sense 2 have a channel aimed towards the majority...cuz MOST stuff can be considered 4 the majority. Besides, with the yucky past of racial tension, it only works 1 way. That's why BET exists and why WET would never work.

dude BET is stands for Black Entertaiment television we all know that

i even know it , and im white ( still want to see it and look whats up does it come on satilite tv ?)

but no its not racial its just some of the afro-american culture if you ask me