JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NBA - Phil Jackson returning to the Lakers

Vipa

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2084948

LOS ANGELES -- Phil Jackson is returning to the Los Angeles Lakers following a reconciliation with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons.

Spokesman John Black said Tuesday the team has rehired Jackson, who was let go by owner Jerry Buss last June 18.

Ain't that somethin .....

Phil Jackson's a sellout, he disses Kobe Bryant badly and then he goes back to coach him?! :hmm:

It does not matter, they STINK anyway....

However the majority of their players were injured for much of last season, yet they were in the playoff running for much of last season. They don't exactly stink.

I'm sorry did i miss all of the lakers games in this years playoff's cus i don't remember them being there :lolsign:

Phil Jackson'd been better off coaching the Knicks, they had basically the same record as the Lakers and had key injuries to Allan Houston and Jamal Crawford and if they're healthy next year they'll end up having a better chance contending in the weaker Eastern Conference and that was he played his career, I figured he might've decided to go there but his gf and money was enough to even go back where he didn't wanna coach anymore, but even if the Lakers are healthy, they won't make it far in the playoffs unless they get Kevin Garnett or bring Shaq back but chances of that happening are slim to none, Lakers suck, ultimately I wanted him to come back and coach the Bulls but I think they'll be fine without him since Scott Skiles is an up and coming coach that's doing a damn good job.

Edited by bigted

What's gonna be Weak, is how sportscenter will never leave this alone, and constantly be talking about the Lakers this offseason..As well as indy sports writers constantly making up trade rumors/Free agent rumors, invloving the Lakers and some Big star, because Phil is there now >_<

Injury shouldn't be used as an excuse to dismiss a poor showing in a given year, but this doesn't mean that it doesn't play a key roll in the fate of a team, and ultimately, how well they play. The Lakers certainly had their problems last year. Their frontcourt was miniscule at best, with Chris Mihm, who played pretty well, anchoring the center position, but that was about it. I don't even know if Chucky Atkins can be considered a point guard, 4 spots in the starting 5 were changed, new coach and assistent coaches, new defensive and offensive schemes... there was a lot to deal with... and they were still contending for the playoff all the way into Feb.

And then we have injuries... Lamar Odom, Vlade Divac, Luke Walton, Brian Grant, Devean Georges, Slava Medvedenko and Kobe Bryant all had extensive injuries. I don't think the phrase, "they suck" really applies to the Lakers at this point. I'll prudently reserve judgement until most of their players are injury free and can actually play together.

Look at Minnesota. They didn't make the playoffs either, and they had a pretty horrible season last year, but I wouldn't contribute it to the fact that "they suck." They had internal problems that manifested themselves on the court.

All in all, look for the Lakers to make some moves over the summer. They have a #10 draft pick, and I believe another in the 20s.

Incidentally, Allan Houston has been "injured" for the better part of the last 3 years. He's almost like Grant Hill in that respect. Also, NY is playing in the east... so if you have the same record as a team out west, that's not something to boast about. In fact, you probably shouldn't even mention it.