JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

cable vs. DSL

cable is better but it costs more

i don't think there's a reason if u have DSL 2 upgrade 2 cable. their downloading speeds are about the same, but the uploading is where cable is faster. unless u do a lot of big file uploading it won't be worth ur money. where i live DSL is $20 cheaper a month for about the same speed of internet.

Both or reasonable... however, both DSL and Cable have thier shortcomings... lets start with DSL... The setup is pretty annoying... a lot of installs and things can get pretty complicated. As DSL runs through your phone line and physics still apllies, the farther you are from your telephone company's switching center, the slower your DSL upload and download speeds will be. DSL providers are quickly disappearing as well. Some have gone bankrupt... others just closed up, not a good look.

Cable... Schnazz is correct, the more people that use cable in your area, the slower your connection will be. But this is usually during peek hours, when most people are home and surfing. Also, limits may be placed on the amount of data you can download and your broadband speed. Some companies do this so that people won't hog broadband and slow down everyone else's speed.

Here's a link to check out the two...

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6536-726601-5.html?tag=subdir

wow dial up? for me i don't have 2. my DSL modem looks almost exactly the same as my cable modem and they perform about the same. the only diffrerence for me is that Cable costs about twice the price!!! insane!  :lolsign:

Yeah its wierd ain't it! Every time I turn on my PC I have to press the connect button that comes up on the dial up box!! i thought that was the whole point of broadband!!

It is possible to have dial-up wit cable broadband internet. With DSL or Cable, it automatically is connected the whole time. With dial-up tho, you need an ISP program such as AOL, MSN..etc to get through.

For cable users, just dont get wireless internet. It sounds cool and it is sometimes but it does slow you down because of the signal and its better to be wired in.

thanks for the info, I'll just stick with the dsl then because all I use it for is this forum, and xbox live.

and DevilsJim89 you are right about the wireless thing because at my friends house his sister had a laptop with the wireless connection and she was showing me a music video and the speed was awful!!!!