JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Independence Day II

MaxFly

This is a movie I want made but Will has said in the past that he isn't really interested and it wouldn't be right without him. Anyone have any idea why he doesn't want to be involved in a sequel. Am I the only one who thinks it's a good idea to have a sequel?

I don't know about a sequel. It doesn't seem right to me. I mean what will it be about that includes Will Smith character Cpt. Steven Hillard. What does he become an astronaut finally. Cause thats what he wanted to be in the film but kept on getting rejected. But I just can't really picture it. So yeah I agree with Will on not doing a sequel. But hey my opinion may change if I see the plot to the story and if it's good. :angel:

There is no reason 2 make a sequel 2 the movie. How many times is the world gonna be taken over or destroyed by aliens?!? It's a wack idea. FP said that there is "zero chance" he would do it. However, there were people from the original that were trying 2 come up with a script and get as many of the people from the original cast 2 come back 2 do it. Last year they gave up. They said they couldn't come up with a good script. It waz a wack idea from the begininng.

So if there were a good script, you guys still wouldn't be for it?

To me, it doesn't make sense to leave off where the first one ended. The space ships were destroyed, and so magically all the aliens in all of the spaceships died? The mothership hovering in space maybe, but all the ships that were hovering over cities and stuff... none of the aliens escaped...? None survived...? Don't think so. Independence Day II could be a straight out war between humans and the aliens that were left after the ships were downed with a few ingenius plot twists and hot, updated special effects. I don't think that anyone here believes that everything was resolved by the end of ID4. Personally, I'd like to see something showing how humans would start to clean up and rebuild (since in general, we usually only see up to the point when the humans beat the aliens or zombies... and then the credits roll) as well as taking care of any alien menace left on the planet. Perhaps Will could have a more important roll in the government. General Hiller sounds good. He's definitely up for a promotion after what he pulled at the end of ID4.

Admittedly, with War of the Worlds coming out soon, it seems that any future sequel to ID4 is almost non existent, but if a good script comes along, I would still like to see at least an attempt at making it work.

Edited by MaxFly

There is no way there could be a good script 4 this movie. Aliens tried 2 destroy the world, they loss. That movie waz part of the escapism trend that went on thru' the mid-late 90's. The movie waz great, but there is no reason 4 those aliens 2 come back and try 2 destroy earth again....that's just silly and childish. Why would all those characters comeback 2 do it again. Why would they make a movie about the human race rebuilding. This a movie, not reality. There is no possible way there could EVER be a good script 4 a sequel 2 ID4. Some movies should have sequels...some can...and some shouldn't even think about it...this would be one of those movies that shouldn't even consider it. Either way, FP has said that he refused 2 do it for about 7 years.

This is a movie I want made but Will has said in the past that he isn't really interested and it wouldn't be right without him. Anyone have any idea why he doesn't want to be involved in a sequel. Am I the only one who thinks it's a good idea to have a sequel?

For sure it would be great but why? He don't need to do a sequel, there isn't really a reason, u know! The movie definately would be great but the story of it and the point, the meaning wouldn't be very well! Hope u understand... :sonny:

There is no way there could be a good script 4 this movie. Aliens tried 2 destroy the world, they loss. That movie waz part of the escapism trend that went on thru' the mid-late 90's. The movie waz great, but there is no reason 4 those aliens 2 come back and try 2 destroy earth again....that's just silly and childish. Why would all those characters comeback 2 do it again. Why would they make a movie about the human race rebuilding. This a movie, not reality.

Are you trying to say that all the aliens died at the end of ID4? Aliens tried to destroy the world, they lost, and so they all died instantly. Magically, everything is back to normal? The fact that most of the major cities of the world were destroyed was no biggie? That there's nothing new that can be told, and told well?

The problem with Hollywood is that everything is so cookie cutter. Aliens, vampires or predators attack, they win the battle, humans revolt, humans win the war, credits roll, people throw away their extra popcorn and go home. The audience never gets to see what happens afterwards. Major cities have been deystroyed, human civilization is in utter disarray, it's very likely that there are quite a number of aliens still alive on the surface of the earth with advanced technology, yet no one in Hollywood can come up with a good script? It seems that you could start a whole franchise with that sort of scenario. Resembles The Matrix a tad doesn't it.

As for the original actors, we don't have to have all of them come back. If that were the case, a sequel would indeed be forcing the issue, trying to involve all of them when, in fact, some of their roles aren't needed. New actors and roles can be introduced. That's a good thing and it would be much needed.

Concerning rebuilding... I'm talking about trying to get rid of the remaining aliens while figuring out how to start over. Everyone seemed happy at the end of ID4. That sure wasn't going to last long when they realized the state that the world was in. They'd have to deal with their reality sooner or later.

About aliens coming back and trying to destroy the world again... Aren't they already on the earth.... It wouldn't be about destroying the world. Rather, it would be about banding together after a failed attempt at destroying the world and seeing if they can't take over the world the old fasioned way while the humans are still weak and trying to figure out what to do next...

And about there not possibly being a good script...

There are downed spaceships the size of cities all over the world. A large population of the world has been killed off. Military organization is almost non existent, and to add to all of that, there may be aliens still on the loose with no way to leave the earth and nothing better to do than start something with the humans again... And it's impossible to write a good script? :nono: I don't think that's a good enough excuse.

Again, the real problem I see with a sequel is that the original was so long ago that audiences have most likely lost interest. But if done right, and they've had plenty of time to do it, there can actually be a good sequel to this. Creativity is key.

Probably 1 sequel. 2 is overdoing it and simply just hoping for too much. Lol

Incidentally, what qualities prevent it from having a sequel made? It seems like there's still a very good story to tell concerning the aftermath of the invasion...

Edited by MaxFly

i usually like sequals, bad boys 2 worked, MIB2 worked (i thought) but i dont think it would be right to do id4 2, plus Will has done too many sequals recently, he needs to do different stuff.

I thought id4 was a great movie, they shouldnt mess with it and try and do another 1, they should just leave it for what it is.

If there was a sequel to ID4, there wouldn't be much of a story. ID4 is about 2 and a half hours long, it starts out with spaceships, then they get destroyed. What else is there to do?? If the aliens came out to battle with the humans, it would be just like MIB, so a sequel is basically pointless. ID4 is good enough just the way it is! :werd:

Edited by FuNkY.FrEsH.ChIcK