JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

KEL SPENCER - THE PROMISED LAND

I waz lookin' on ebay and found an ultra rare gem. I found a 12" vinyl single of Kel Spencer's single "The Promised Land." U better believe i'm gonna see if i can get a snippet of the track out 2 Tim in the next few months. If it's half as dope as his single "The Streets Know That," it'll be blazin.' Looks like his album is never gonna drop...so this is the next best thing!!

Why ain't he releasing an album? :dunno:

williefromphilly, Marcus must have sent u something different than what he sent me. He sent me a CD with "The Streets Know That" plus "The Timberland Song" (his take on Nelly's Air Force Ones") and 3 freestyles.

I just doubt that Kel's album is comin' out cuz his site is down, and i don't think he waz ever intending 2 get on a big label. He wanted 2 release it in 2003.

Man, I really hope the guy gets out there. He's way more talented than the other guys grabbing platinum albums right now.

:werd: Even he doesn't get on a big label, he should at least sign to an underground label and keep his name out there in the game like Talib Kweli does, btw, where could I get some of those songs?

i'll play the streets know that on the radio show this sunday..make sure you tune in

Is there any way I could get a hold of that? I play "I'm Wanted" every day before I go to school. How'd you get it? I was talking to one of the guys part of his label (or something). Third Power, I think. He said he'd get back to me on how I could get the album but he never did.

God Blessa!

The CD they sent me has "The Streets Know That" as the main track...with his "Air Force One" parody dedicated 2 Timberlands. Then there is 3 freestyles on there also. However, a freestyle from Kel Spence is like a real song...unlike Jay-Z and Eminem freestyles...Kel's actually stay on point and say alot.

When u hear Kel's music, he's the perfect mix of Rakim and Fresh Prince. All the lyrics are on point and don't stray from the main topic. He keeps things positive, tastefull, and realer than anybody i've heard in years. Underground or mainstream, Hip-Hop needs this cat!!

He waz gonna drop his album on his site, but they kept delaying when u could get it...and then the site went down. I'm definitly gonna ask seller where he got it and if there is anything else from him i could get.

Ya Marcus send me a burned cd with the streets know that, the air force one parody and about 7 more freestyles. He also sent me 2 copys of the 12" of the The Streets Know That/The Promised Land and a small The Streets Know That EP Poster. With note on the album the last time i talked to Marcus he said that Kel wuz performing all around NYC and that they were planning on dropping the EP in July for the streets and a commercal release in November. That wuz all in 2004. Has yet to have happened and i never really followed up with any more questions for Marcus after Kel's site went down. I will probably get down to it one of these days.

When u hear Kel's music, he's the perfect mix of Rakim and Fresh Prince. All the lyrics are on point and don't stray from the main topic. He keeps things positive, tastefull, and realer than anybody i've heard in years. Underground or mainstream, Hip-Hop needs this cat!!

That's what I love about the guy. He's just so strong with his lyrics. In "I'm Wanted" he keeps the western theme through the whole song. I love that song.

Please keep me informed. This is a rapper I'd hate to see never shine.

God Blessa!

Kel Spencer is a real throwback mc, when you hear him rhyme, he's got that Big Daddy Kane/Rakim/KRS-ONE/LL/FP/Chuck D type flow, he's too talented not to be out now, but there's a lot of talented cats out there that don't get fame either, the industry's messed up, people gotta stop buying The Game's album and start supporting mcs with real game! :ditto: It's a shame that KRS-ONE and Public Enemy can't even go gold anymore and they're the legends of the hip-hop game. :nhawong:

Edited by bigted

I really like his track "I'm Wanted"...but from what i've heard, that waz only a taste of what he has 2 offer. I don't think that song would have been one of his best if we heard the whole album.

Over the past year, i did drop Marcus and Kel e-mails but they never got back 2 me. I'm not sure if they even check those e-mail accounts anymore cuz they always replied 2 me b4.