JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

hip hop forever II Review

Hero1

• Admin
AMG REVIEW: You'd be hard pressed to find a top ten hip-hop DJs of all-time list that doesn't include DJ Jazzy Jeff. He might have been made famous with his crossover (meaning white moms and 12-year-olds dig it) songs with The Fresh Prince, but anyone looking for action knew to skip the pop confectioneries and go directly to "Live at Union Square" to hear the sound of two fierce and hungry talents, one on the mike and one on the decks, tearing through cuts back when hip-hop was an uprising rather than lording prince of pop music. This first official mix by DJ Jazzy Jeff serves up almost two-dozen select choices of early-'90s hip-hop from East Coast establishment Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, and Pete Rock, along with West Coast luminaries The Pharcyde and Cypress Hill, while younger craftsmen, including Jaylib and J-Live, keep things fresh. But beyond the sophisticated yet populist selections, the real excitement comes from Jeff's vintage and masterful scratching, which keeps things hype, while the actual tempo and volume stay deep in the pocket. With nothing left to prove, Jeff is left to do what he does best, moving heads and feet with two turntables and a stack of records. Let the DJ be the DJ. — Joshua Glazer

4 stars outta 5

[quote=Hero1,Apr 11 2004, 07:37 AM]AMG REVIEW: You'd be hard pressed to find a top ten hip-hop DJs of all-time list that doesn't include DJ Jazzy Jeff. He might have been made famous with his crossover (meaning white moms and 12-year-olds dig it) songs with The Fresh Prince, but anyone looking for action knew to skip the pop confectioneries and go directly to "Live at Union Square" to hear the sound of two fierce and hungry talents, one on the mike and one on the decks, tearing through cuts back when hip-hop was an uprising rather than lording prince of pop music. This first official mix by DJ Jazzy Jeff serves up almost two-dozen select choices of early-'90s hip-hop from East Coast establishment Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, and Pete Rock, along with West Coast luminaries The Pharcyde and Cypress Hill, while younger craftsmen, including Jaylib and J-Live, keep things fresh. But beyond the sophisticated yet populist selections, the real excitement comes from Jeff's vintage and masterful scratching, which keeps things hype, while the actual tempo and volume stay deep in the pocket. With nothing left to prove, Jeff is left to do what he does best, moving heads and feet with two turntables and a stack of records. Let the DJ be the DJ. — Joshua Glazer

4 stars outta 5[/quote]
That was a great review giving Jazzy Jeff props that he deserves! :dancingcool:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Prince
Cool review. I have still got to find it in a store near me :tear:

[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001ENY2G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]

Guest guest1
Artist – DJ Jazzy Jeff

beat magazine

Title – Hip Hop Forever II

Label – bbe/Rapster Records/Creative Vibes

Genre – Hip and a Hop

Rating – 3.5/5

The Jazzy jester serves up 23 cuts on this, one of the more enjoyable hip hop mix records of late. JJ propels backwards to deliver mostly classic tracks that many would already be familiar with – but with the spinster’s skills injected into each and every tune it makes the listening fresh regardless. While Hip Hop Forever II is a great backing soundtrack at your next pool party, it may seem a little dated for a few. Favourites from Tribe Called Quest and Cypress Hill fit in nicely though, and most shouldn’t give two ****s about their age. Throughout the record you can hear all sorts of variations on Jazzy’s scratching – with predominate hits mixed in among a few misses, since some tracks could merge better.

Gav Ross

Guest guest1
blazinvibes

Few DJ's have more technical capabilities and pedigree than Jazzy Jeff. The DJ / Entrepreneur has excelled throughout his illustrious career and is one of only a few DJ's in whatever genre who can be looked on as a legend. So, when he is chosen to release the follow up to the 2002 Hip Hop Forever, mixed by Kenny Dope, you know that your about to be treated to something special. And you won't be disappointed.

Jeff has selected some of the best Hip Hop tracks released over the past three years. Lovers of Jiggy Hip Hop beats and rhymes, those performed by the likes of Nelly, Ja Rule, Jay Z et al may not feel at ease with this release. Songs have been chosen on the criteria of embodying an eccecence of hip hop that combines strong rhyming flow and brilliant production. The selection of music is inspired.

Jazzy Jeff has chosen some of the best tracks released over the past 2 - 3 years. Songs released by Hip Hop heavyweights Main Source, Pete Rock, A Tribe Called Quest, NAS, Jeru The Damaga, Cypress Hill, Blackmoon, Smif & Wessun and The Pharcyde, are intertwined with underground classics released by Asheru, Jaylib and Grand Agent. Any album that features Bucktown by Smif N' Wessun mixed into Blackmoon's How Many Mcee's, then blended into Mood Swing by Asheru has got to be something special.

What puts the icing on this juicy Hip Hop cake is the way that Jeff chops and mixes the songs he works with. There are times when he astounds the listener. The way in which Jazzy chops up seminal classic Electric Relaxation by A Tribe Called Quest is nothing short of inspired.

The best Hip Hop mix CD of the year.
9/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
this album is not as good as i thought it would be.. its good..but after the vibe im on i had high expectations.. i think because it was an official cd it sort of restricted jeff a bit and he doesnt do what he would normally..

• 2 months later...
Guest Prince
So 2 days ago I bought Hip-Hop Forever II... The above cover photo isn't the same as on my copy, well it is, but on mine it's flipped horizontally. This mix cd is good, and it's great how Jeff is showing off his skills, showing cats how to do it properly, but somehow I was expecting something more from him... For some reason there is just something (I'm not sure what) missing from this... Still though, I'm glad I picked this up... Because it sure is far better than anything else you hear nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote=Prince,May 4 2004, 03:45 PM]Cool review. I have still got to find it in a store near me :tear:

[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001ENY2G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img][/quote]
iv seen it in lots neer me. HMV, MVC, andys records, the big named stores, and most aint that large, you have ne of them neer u?