JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Freakin' It

I never heard it on the radio and i only saw the video on TV twice. It wazn't a hit at all. Columbia thought that since they had a huge with "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" that it would be a good idea 2 always market him with radio-friendly party trax 4 the pop fans. I think even the pop fans had enuff of that sound after "...Jiggy..." and "Miami." If they would have pushed 4 a real song with substance 2 be released, it probably would have taken the album further. "Freakin' It" waz originally supposed 2 be the 1st single of "Willennium" but since the album waz droppin' in November and the end of the year waz approaching, they went with "Will 2K" which waz a decent hit...but disposable after New Years. "Afro Angel" waz originally supposed 2 be one of the singles. I think that would have been a better choose and a better repersentation of FP. Columbia waz only giving people one side of him...which got old fast. Showing his other sides (the more important ones) would have taken his music further during the past 2 albums...at least that's what i think.

Freakin got to number 17 i think in the UK, or defo somewhere in the teens. That was pretty low compared to all his other solo hits before that but still not a bad number.

i thought it got to about number 9 in the uk, im probably wrong tho since it was quite a few years ago.

My local radio DJ had it as the song of the week at one point.

To be honest i think it deserved a lot more, it wasnt as bad as ppl make out, but i think Will should have released loads of other songs of willenium over it.

I don't think "Uuhhh" would have been a good choice. It's 2 straight forward...not exactly a promoting-monster of a song. The people that buy albums 2 make them successes probably wouldn't be feelin' it.

U can't release singles intended 4 a smaller audience without a bigger single 2 serve as the A-side gaining more success. "Will 2K" did well but waz too time sensitive, "So Fresh" waz 4 the old skool fans, it didn't get play or support, "Freakin' It" didn't get play or support either. The media and Big Willie Style fans totally turned their back on him. Unless he waz releasing on of the top 3 songs on the album as a single, it waz wise 2 just let it go.

• Admin

lets face it a lot of those big willie style fans were a lot of teeny bopper girls who were never gonna show loyalty or be long term fans..or they were really young kids who grew up..i dont care what he released it would be hard to maintain those fans.. if he'd released a more mature track like you say afro angel...i think willennium would have got the interest of a lot more mature/ ol skool and hip hop heads and increased sales! but we all know sony would never wanna do that! :nhawong:

I agree totally. They should have stuck 2 the original plan of releasing "Afro Angel" as a single. The production is flawless and very musical (not your average boom tap boom boom tap). When an artist like FP makes a song like that, that really means something, they usually do well. That song waz exactly what he career needed at the time (and still could use).

• Members

i loved 'freakin it', one of my best will songs. surprising it wasn't a hit, with a fly video.

nas had the same problems with will in columbia. i don't know if sony chose his singles, cause back then they were your average pop mainstream hits. but that has changed now, cause nas drops very grimy street anthems as his first singles and sony doesn't bug him.

well all that's history now and will should learn from his mistakes, i hope he really pushes it up with his new effort, by giving us real and true HIP HOP and not try and please some record label or some pop lovers.

speaking of real hip hop, you guys should go check out nas's new lp 'street disciple', i think it's released in the states today. i listened to the leak on a hip hop site and it's really phat. to me his best album after 'illmatic'. this is only for true lovers of hip hop.

Edited by diehardwill