JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

VH-1 GIVING PROPS 2 HIP-HOP

JumpinJack AJ

FP loves Public Enemy. He goes on in a 1988 Spin article about how they are the perfect example of Hip-Hop. I didn't see that episode but he's in the 1st one and there's hardly any hair on his head!! How could their be a grey hair?!?

How does everyone feel about the documentary so far? Here's how I rate the episodes so far:

Episode 1: Ah, the essence of hip-hop, DJ'ing, breaking, MC'ing, having a good time even though there were hard times then, they did a good job explaining how hip-hop started and how it's supposed to bring success to clean up their lives 'cause it showed how Afrika Bambattaa and The Zulu Nation were able to do that after being a gang, they were able to clean up their lives through hip-hop!

Grade: A+

Episode 2: the golden age of hip-hop, they did a great job mentioning JJFP, Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Salt-N-Pepa, Big Daddy Kane, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, and KRS-ONE, but they missed a few artists, the episode should've been longer, other than that it was dope!

Grade: A

Episode 3: the start of gangsta/hardcore hip-hop, they did a good job with this one too explaining about how it was a music to explain the street life and bringing reality unlike a lot of these wannabe gangsta mcs who try to be like NWA, Ice T, 2Pac, and Snoop Dogg

Grade:B+

Episode 4: they spent too long on the Biggie/2Pac fuel, they talked for 10 minutes about Puff Daddy where shiny suits like he was the 1st one to do that(he bit that off of MC Hammer, if you listen to his lyrics, you'd see that he samples and bites off of everyone, no creativity from him whatsoever) and how he brought good times to hip-hop(they didn't mention Will Smith doing that and his album "Big Willie Style" sold more than "No way Out" at that time period and they didn't mention Busta Rhymes or Tribe Called Quest bring feel good music at that time too), then they went on about the wack bling/bling era, but they did mention Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang Clan, and the underground Jay-Z, so they get some points for that!

Grade:C-

I hope they don't screw up on Episode 5! :ditto:

If U notice anything, the grades seem 2 go down as the years progress. Is this a major sign?

I think hip hop's history is kinda repeatin' itself, but it just worse now. Like how (i think KRS-One) said that hip hop started out as all party. Then it got conscious and self-conscious. Something like that.

They had this Freestyle thing on last nite. I didn't see it all tho. I disagree wit the writing VS freestyle part. It'z all basically the same when it comes down 2 it. Expression. Tho, both have strengths and weakness when U look at both sides. U kno?

I like VH-1 "And You Don't Stop" series. I think they've done a better job than MTV and even BET would have done. I think they do a fair job of being honest about each era but i agree that they spent 2 much time on the East Coast / West Coast Feud and overlooked a some artists and albums of the 90's.

It's funny 2 see your grades 4 the episodes. I don't think it waz really VH-1 fault. Look were the music went. They had no choice but 2 downgrade what they were focusing. While they space out who is interviewed 4 each era, the artists of certain eras seem 2 dominate the episodes. None of the really old skool artists stuck around 4 the later episodes. Most likely cuz they didn't have anything nice 2 say about the commerical trash of recent years. Only the fellaz who seemed 2 stay busy and in the public eye like FP, DMC, and Hammer got some shine in the later episodes. It's also sad that only a few of the newer guys had something 2 say about the old skool Some of them clearly aren't even skooled on old skool...very sad.

The problem with hip-hop now is that the rappers that're the most creative and skillful like Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and The Roots don't get much attention as they should, they weren't even mentioned at all in this documentary. :nhawong: I have to admit though that VH1 did a better job than MTV or BET would do and I was impressed with that, it was good entertainment, I only wish that they'd show more hip-hop videos than they usually do on a regular basis. :werd: Last night's show wasn't all that bad, they didn't mention Nelly at all, and they didn't talk on and on about Eminem like I thought that they would, they mentioned Outkast,Foxy Brown, Lil' Kim, Eve, and also Missy Elliot, I liked the fact that Nas was making comments about every hip-hop era by being in all 5 episodes like FP, Hammer, Ice-T, and DMC, I'm surprised LL wasn't interviewed at all in these episodes! They talked about how much of a multibillion buisiness hip-hop is and that's a great thing but the true should get the shine and it hasn't been over the recent years!

Episode 5 Grade:B, It was more entertaining than Episode 4 was that's for sure, but nothing could top the 1st three episodes

I actually liked all the episodes. MAinly becuz I learned things I already knew and didn't know. It gave me a better view of hip hop as a whole. Plus BET had some hip hop thing on last nite. I didn't watch it, cuz I was more interested in VH1's. I definately don't wanna miss the show next Tuesday.

Did anyone else besides me, Michael, and AJ see the documentary? :dunno:

• 1 year later...