JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

bigted

I got myself a web page over at chirbit.com/bigted3485 where I posted some audio that I made with this new computer mic I got about a week ago for my birthday

I posted this dope freestyle I just came up with tonight:

http://chirb.it/rA45vA

time to bring this live and direct
big ted keeps rhymes at check
15 years after biggie's death
for me the b-i-g t-e-d soon enough it'll be 12 years of raw spitting
holding it down in this millenium since april of 2000
now that i got my computer mic i'll be shutting competition
not many mcs are flowin' correct
that's why i'm making a change to all of this
bringin' back the soul and the affection
like big daddy kane i ain't half steppin'
being a smooth operator during each session
that's right shorty come to me for your blessing
like i said i'm bringing it one on one like keith sweat
don't get it twisted, it ain't just about being in the sheets sexing
it's about mind, body, and soul type of affection
that's why i'm yearning for that loving
all them thugs got ya buggin'
like will smith i tell em to don't say nothin'
my intelligence makes me harder than all of em
word to mama and papa, y'all can't front on gracia
aka big ted when he represents

check the webpage for more audio i posted including that "going for success" song i was trying to post up on here a couple days ago, feedback would be appreciated

I'll be honest, man. It's not good. You need to maybe give it more energy and pronounce your words clearer. It's all very monotone and mumbly at the minute. Also. do you write to beats? The verses you put up to instrumentals dont seem to flow in time with the beat. It's extremely difficult to write a verse and then rap it over a beat, you have to write the verse to the beat. It'll all come with time, keep at it, bro. Good to hear you on audio.

Edited by Big Willie

thanks for the honesty, i understand, right now i'm just trying to get the feel for things, i write to beats at times, other times i write random verses without beats

yeah i'm staying at it, trying different things, i recorded my tribute to heavy d just now:

http://chirb.it/BMCq9b

More energy, man. Attack the vocals like its a life and death situation, haha. It all comes with time, bro. I dunno if Brakes has seen these or not, but his advice helped me a lot when I first started recording, might be worth seeing what his opinion is.

I gotta say that I agree with Rebirth. There's just a lack of energy in the delivery which also comes off as if you are simply reciting it rather than having any passion behind what you are saying. Guru and Method Man have monotone flows as well but they do attack the lines and you can hear that what they are saying is coming from within. Additionally, find levels. I associate this with singing...singers will not belt and entire song, but find places where they are more into the song and where they truly let loose. It would be weird if they did that through the entire song. I would look at a rhyme and see where the subject matter calls for a climax and establish where the levels should be for each bar. Eminem SOMETIMES does this right. Lastly, I think writing to a beat will help. There's moments where there's a rhythmic flow but mostly it just sounds so free. Whether it's rap or spoken word, there's a flow that organizes the vocals.

Another thing is that you have the HUGE knowledge of Hip-Hop music, which is amazing. I feel that most of the time, it's being used in a "name dropping" fashion. You are simply referencing artists or songs for the sake of doing so. By doing it in that fashion, it's simply dead weight to the topic. It's filling space but it's not really going anywhere. I feel that if it isn't multi-leveled metaphor that is taking the subject matter further, it's probably best not to do it. I was listening to Common Sense's latest yesterday and he has some really great examples on that album.

I don't write or rhyme any more (at least for now) so I don't wanna come off as negative. One thing is for sure, between all the performing events I take part in an attend, I can usually watching some thing and give notes to almost anyone to tighten things up. Silly as it sounds, I can only do that for myself about half the time. However, if I see a video of myself performing, I tear it to pieces, tell myself I suck and that I should quit...lol. I felt there was a slight improvement on the 2nd recording so I'm looking forward to seeing where things go.

I agree with the others. The most important thing is to start writing everything you write to a beat. It is much easier to rap with more presence on the mic if the rhymes match the beat. So write more carefully, make sure every line is in line with the beat (unless you want to let it slip sometime, as a stylistic devise, but that's more something for later). Also I agree with AJ on the name dropping, I don't like it, it's too excessive. If it really is something you wanna do, maybe try to hide it more by referring to lyrics or something like that. Fashawn and J. Cole for example often refer to Nas other MC's, but you won't notice it unless you really know the songs they are referring to.

Edited by Turntable

I'd really echo what the other guys are saying... Out of interest are you rapping from memory or rapping from the page? This makes a big difference to your deliverance.. Rapping to a beat will most definitely help you with your flow and timing. At the moment it seems a little off as it was probably just written to no music. There's nothing wrong with that as I often write to know beat, but if I am constructing a song or writing a verse I know will be a part of a song at a later date I will 100% always write to the beat. This opens up so many ways you can play around with your vocals flow wise. The beat will help you get a rhythm and really define your sound. I won't add anything more regarding the name references as I agree entirely with what the others have said.

Everybody starts somewhere, but its the hard work and dedication that will determine where you end up and how good you become. My very first recording is a million miles away from my current ones. You just gotta keep pushing and not be discouraged if people aren't feeling 100% what you are putting out now! Use that as your fuel to improve and get better.

Thats a good point too. Take everything everyone has said as a reason to improve, not as a reason to give up. It'll only get better with time. The importance of writing and flowing to beats cant be stressed enough though, once you get that you can build the rest of your structure and delivery around it.

Edited by Big Willie

thanks for the feedback everyone, i'm definately gonna take in this advice and i'm going to try to write more often now with some music in the background, whether it's favorite songs or some instrumental cds i have, yeah i realise i gotta slow down with name references, but i figured to do it more in the heavy d tribute to show that my respect for the legends is deep, maybe i'll consider if i reference an artist i could do it in more of a subliminal way without always mentioning their name like turntable referred to...