JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will: "I Haven't done much music of late..."

The only ppl that can save hip hop are the ppl that buy it and unfortunatly a lot of ppl in the world arnt too smart.

The record companies influence them a lot but as long as people keep buying this rubbish, the record companies will keep getting them out.

Yeah, I agree. A lot of people place the blame solely on the record companies, but the masses are just as complicit in the matter. It's true that record companies and the industry as a whole have a lot of sway in what people like... there's a lot of indoctrination taking place... they are pushing the sort of lifestyles we see in the music videos and perpetuating a lot of the violence we hear and see in rap music. However, we do have to question whether they would continue to produce and fund that sort of music if the masses didn't crave it as much as they seem to now. I think that the bottom line with these companies is money, and they'll do whatever they think is best to be as profitable as possible. If conscious hip hop was what was really selling, you'd see a slew of companies focus on that and there would be less focus on the Mike Joneses and East Side Boyz of the world. If hip hop is going to be saved, it's going to have to start with the hearts and minds of the people consumming the garbage that is put out today. It's going to take a cultural shift... not just a few good MCs.

The last point is why I don't mind Will acting. He's a black man projecting a positive image of black men.

not at all...dont worry..ill call ya a dumbass when ya are one..:)

Certainly sounds like something Chief would say.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we do a podcast on this topic before though? I remember Jim ranting about how he wanted Will to quit doing films :kekeke: I could understand though that artistic expression can't be rushed, as a songwriter myself, I take more time now in writing songs than I used to 'cause I don't wanna sound repetitive, so I could understand Will coming from that point of view, I wouldn't mind though if he posted songs he works on in between on his website like Jazzy Jeff does though, it might take a lil' longer to come up with something new but I'm sure not 3 years? He writes random verses in between I'm sure, I don't care if he releases short one minute freestyles in between but I wanna hear something, lol... He was recording stuff for "Lost and Found" a couple years ago, he coulda leaked some of that on mixtapes or through mp3 that way the real fans don't have to wait 3 years just to hear a song, you say that Will's movie fans shouldn't have to wait so long for a new movie but why do the music fans have to just for a new song? The man has sold over 30 million albums in his career, it's not like he don't have any music fans...

Edited by bigted

Didn't we do a podcast on this topic before though? I remember Jim ranting about how he wanted Will to quit doing films :kekeke: I could understand though that artistic expression can't be rushed, as a songwriter myself, I take more time now in writing songs than I used to 'cause I don't wanna sound repetitive, so I could understand Will coming from that point of view, I wouldn't mind though if he posted songs he works on in between on his website like Jazzy Jeff does though, it might take a lil' longer to come up with something new but I'm sure not 3 years? He writes random verses in between I'm sure, I don't care if he releases short one minute freestyles in between but I wanna hear something, lol... He was recording stuff for "Lost and Found" a couple years ago, he coulda leaked some of that on mixtapes or through mp3 that way the real fans don't have to wait 3 years just to hear a song, you say that Will's movie fans shouldn't have to wait so long for a new movie but why do the music fans have to just for a new song? The man has sold over 30 million albums in his career, it's not like he don't have any music fans...

Yeah, I remember that. Jim got a little wild on that pod cast. One day, we're going to have to get all of us on a podcast and have it out. That would definitely be interesting.

hah. Taking the fight from the board to the podcast...

I'd like 2 see a good debate going on, because some ppl actually do have good arguments ... or differences in 'points', rather...

peace,

cookie

• Admin

Wow, I haven't been on the board in awhile been busy with work and all that..

When's the next podcast Tim?! Time for another controversal one, I'm really feeling it. And I'll leave it at that cause i have so much to say about this, yet its all negative. Its just b-**** and a half with Will.

Yeah lets make the next podcast like the 10th of March.. Save it for the podcast Jim :2thumbs:

This is nothing new for Will but it is real dissapointing all the same. He gets mad when people stop recognizing him as a rapper but he doesn't keep his name out with a total focus on music long enough when he drops an album.

God Blessa!

Edited by djsilvertiger

• Admin

This is going to be fun. I haven't done this in awhile, but my arguments are fresh and I have plenty of new ones... this should be the debate to end all debates. Good times.

Oh yeah we havent done a podcast in over a month..so I got plenty to say :pony:

This is going to be fun. I haven't done this in awhile, but my arguments are fresh and I have plenty of new ones... this should be the debate to end all debates. Good times.

Oh yeah we havent done a podcast in over a month..so I got plenty to say :pony:

Tim, are you picking sides, or are you going to freelance and attack from both sides? I say join the side of the righteous. We have health benefits. :wiggle: