JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

2005 Most sold hiphop albums

Frenetic

Well black radio plays all 50 Cent's pop rap songs, it's not like "Candy Shop" sounds harder than "Switch", black radio is more like black pop radio now, I really don't hear that many hard beats and rhymes on there anymore, "Parter Starter" would've probably been the hardest song for black radio this year but yet they refused to play it 'cause it's "Will Smith" and it was too hard for pop radio, even if Will released those songs you mentioned black radio would still refuse to play it 'cause it's him but they'll play everything by 50 Cent no matter how soft it is, it's favoritism, Will needs to go to the radio stations and kick some ass!!!!

For a lot of people to buy "Lost and Found", the video and song for "Switch" needed to be in major rotation everywhere for months, come on now it was a top 10 hit in the country for months but yet MTV, BET, and black radio didn't put it in major rotation??!!!!! I should've been able to turn on Hot 97 and hear "Switch", turn on 106 & Park and see "Switch", turn on TRL and see "Switch", plus it'd be playing in between all day on those channels... If you told me that it was top 10 hit for months I wouldn't believe you 'cause it didn't do the impact a top 10 single usually does, that should've carried it to platinum, if he had another one it would've carried it to double platinum but success is limited since certain media is resistant to him, "Lost and Found" could've only sold 200,000 with that kinda crap promotion, but word of mouth carried it strong since a lot of people actually liked the album more than the single ...

If media was resistant to Eminem or 50, they wouldn't sell so much, especially with garbage albums but that shows you that capitalism sells, they're winning 'cause they run the radio so they could afford to put out albums with filler and still sell crazy, the reason why Em sold so much for his greatest hits is 'cause he has a new video on TRL and his single's everywhere, Ja Rule didn't shoot a video or release a single for it so he won't sell that much for his.... Will did a lot of performances, he really didn't need to do any more, this album could've been platinum easily if the media didn't blackball him so much.... Those who don't listen to pop radio or have internet wouldn't know that Will had a single out but if it was played on black radio they'd be aware, I'm sure they would've liked it if they liked that "Candy Shop" crap.... Come on now is "Laffy Taffy" really harder than "Switch", lol?!!

Edited by bigted

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about the hardness. It's about your public image and who u are actually. But **** doesn't make sense...WTF in the world does make sense?

I still can't understand how can 50's album sell that much!, ppl is crazy!

'Cause it's overpromoted and kids buy it, when they get older they won't even like that album anymore, it's just like when Britney Spears is in the news so much, kids're programmed to like whoever's name they hear on TV or radio all the time since they don't know any better, it's disposable pop. Will's not out there like that right now and he put quality into his music, if he milked that "something for Eminem" thing like 50 Cent did with his beef with Game record sales would go up but I think a lot of us might lose respect for Will for using beef to sell records, 50 Cent does it wrong though, he don't make good songs to hurt competition, he just runs his mouth and releases his trash pop singles, we don't wanna see Will go that low just to sell records and talk smack about Eminem in all of his interviews, he just said something in his song "Mr. Nice Guy" and left it at that, if Eminem was a real mc he would've answered back in a song but he knows that Will'd destroy him 'cause he knows that "Lost and Found' is better than anything he's done lately, he knows that talking smack about Will this time wouldn't be smart for him since his image is hurt already anyway, he probably feels a lil' ashamed that all of his fans are teenyboppers and his original fans think his albums are trash, I hope he distance himself from 50 sooner or later or just bows out....

Everyday there's a new article about 50 Cent, he always says or does something controversial, and of course his songs are played everywhere, you can't avoid him, he's the Britney Spears of pop rap.... Will got too much class to be popular right now, nobody wants to hear a clean rapper with positive messages, if he become self-centered and trashy, then he'll be popular, the media spends more time promoting gimmicks more than anything, Common could've outsold 50 if he got promoted the right way too but the controversial image sells more than the good music, for Will to sell anything is a miracle....

Edited by bigted

Take all the artists above Will off of black radio, 106& Park, and TRL, and let's see if they'd go gold... :word:

:word:

It didn't sell as many as I excpeted :jusmindyabizness: .Kelly Clarkson's second abulm has sold about 2 million. :bat:

I still can't understand how can 50's album sell that much!, ppl is crazy!

'Cause it's overpromoted and kids buy it, when they get older they won't even like that album anymore, it's just like when Britney Spears is in the news so much, kids're programmed to like whoever's name they hear on TV or radio all the time since they don't know any better, it's disposable pop. Will's not out there like that right now and he put quality into his music, if he milked that "something for Eminem" thing like 50 Cent did with his beef with Game record sales would go up but I think a lot of us might lose respect for Will for using beef to sell records, 50 Cent does it wrong though, he don't make good songs to hurt competition, he just runs his mouth and releases his trash pop singles, we don't wanna see Will go that low just to sell records and talk smack about Eminem in all of his interviews, he just said something in his song "Mr. Nice Guy" and left it at that, if Eminem was a real mc he would've answered back in a song but he knows that Will'd destroy him 'cause he knows that "Lost and Found' is better than anything he's done lately, he knows that talking smack about Will this time wouldn't be smart for him since his image is hurt already anyway, he probably feels a lil' ashamed that all of his fans are teenyboppers and his original fans think his albums are trash, I hope he distance himself from 50 sooner or later or just bows out....

Everyday there's a new article about 50 Cent, he always says or does something controversial, and of course his songs are played everywhere, you can't avoid him, he's the Britney Spears of pop rap.... Will got too much class to be popular right now, nobody wants to hear a clean rapper with positive messages, if he become self-centered and trashy, then he'll be popular, the media spends more time promoting gimmicks more than anything, Common could've outsold 50 if he got promoted the right way too but the controversial image sells more than the good music, for Will to sell anything is a miracle....

Good point man!, I hope one day this gonna change :bat:

Well Kelly Clarkson's videos get a lot of airplay, if she wasn't on MTV and VH1 so much she wouldn't sell either, VH1 actually played "Switch" more than MTV or BET did and I don't think that many people check VH1 for hip-hop, they check for people like Kelly Clarkson more, "Switch" needed to be on 106 & Park and TRL...

In a perfect world Common and Will would've had 5 singles come out at the same time and brought quality hip-hop to outsell all the gimmicks ahead of them...

Edited by bigted

Bow Wow's looking pretty stupid for callin' Will a gimmick, he still ain't platinum despite all the gimmick songs he released.... :rofl:

Well I think "Lost and Found" could still go platinum, word of mouth'll carry it there, we gotta just keep on spreading the word, that's all, especially now on forums with them talking about top albums of the year, mention "Lost and Found", go to amazon and post reviews for it if you haven't already, it might go platinum in a year or two, lol, "Tell Me Why"ll take it there faster though, maybe another 3 months if Interscope is smart enough... btw, I think Bow Wow's hype ended, he got no hits now at the moment, nobody'll buy it for it to go platinum now, it's probably JD buying the albums, lol...

Edited by bigted