JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rhymefest Vs Jazzy Jeff

They both make a very good point. I think they are both partially right. Fest seems like a cool dude though.

I don't know, they're both kind of right. Jeff is right that the places Fess wants to be on are a desolate wasteland for real Hip Hop. The outlets he listed are playing the real stuff. BUT- I also think Fess is right to fight to get the old territories back... maybe. Part of me would like channels like VH1 Soul to grow and channels like BET to die. BET doesn't care about music, period. VH1 Soul does. Maybe we shouldn't be fighting for something that doesn't wanna be saved. But then again, the thing we wanna save has the attention of millions of viewers...

I wanna see the video of this.

God Blessa!

It's really hard for real artists like Rhymefest to get airplay on major stations but that don't mean they shouldn't fight to get there and let the wack artists continue polluting the airwaves so I feel Rhymefest there. I also feel Jazzy Jeff's point too that really it's a waste of time to worry about trying to go platinum and really concentrating on making great music should be the main emphasis.

a guy just getting signed can't enter hip hop without energy.

Jazzy has every right and ability to be content.

Rhymefest is in no way at that place yet. He has to be hungry and fight to get his word out. His song with lil jon is a great example.

Really strong, mainstream beat with a definite true hip hop feel.

Rhymefest may fall, but it's better to have tried...

When i first read this, i thought both of them had their points, but the more i think about it i'm siding more with Jeff. Rhyefest's points about JJ+FP doing alot of the same things he wants 2 do is just silly since times have changed so much. Back in the 80's and early 90's, it waz common for the best Hip-Hop to actually be on the charts, where as 2day...the best is basically never on the charts. Most of those artists had alot of freedom over their music. The adjustments they had to make were usually small and respectable even when they had 2 make them. Being on Yo! MTV Raps truely brought the artist 2 the people. There really isn't and of that anymore. I respect Rhymefest's drive 2 get his music out there. It reminds me of my own faith for things 2 get better. But to have that mentality can also lead 2 alot of unnecessary thinking and stress. I love how Jazzy is content 2 do his thing the way he does. However, i'm kinda disappointed that he hasn't created the resources to generate any success...LIKE A MUSIC VIDEO!!

• 4 years later...