JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rhymefest Heads To UK To Meet With Conservative Party Leader

bigted

Rhymefest Heads To The UK To Meet With Conservative Party Leader

By Nolan Strong

Date: 10/15/2006 7:50 pm

Chicago rapper Rhymefest will act as an international spokesman for Hip-Hop culture when he meets with Conservative Party leader David Cameron in the United Kingdom this week.

Rhymefest will meet with Cameron at the House of Commons on Thursday (Oct. 19) to help change the politician's view of Hip-Hop music, according to UK daily The Sun.

Cameron criticized BBC's Radio 1 during a British Society of Magazine Editors event last June, accusing the station of playing music that "encourages people to carry guns and knives."

He singled out the station's Saturday night schedules, which includes DJ Tim Westwood's Hip-Hop show.

Cameron's comments came during an outbreak of violence in the United Kingdom that claimed various victims, including a 29-year-old policewoman and a 15-year-old schoolboy.

BBC's Radio 1 denied Cameron's accusations and defended it's programming stating the station followed "strict producer guidelines that govern all of the output."

In August, Rhymefest responded in an open letter aimed at changing the Conservative Party leader's views of Hip-Hop music.

"My challenge, is to ask that you sit down and have a cup of tea with me," Rhymefest wrote. "In fact, let me come and perform for you. I am sure you will see that rap music is more than murder music or knife culture.

"If you truly believe this is a democracy then sit down and discuss with me the issues that you see. And if you are correct, and your opinion of rap music is the same, then we should come together with the community; rappers, politicians and radio DJs, and have a wider discussion...because, Mr Cameron, this generalisation is not all of us, it’s just a few bad apples that spoil the bunch...let’s solve the problem of the rap community in a civilised way and in a way that music can still be entertaining."

Rhymefest admitted he was surprised to learn Cameron had accepted his challenge to meet and have a constructive conversation.

"Whoever thought that the power of the pen was truly mightier than the sword? Coming from a ghetto on the South Side of Chicago, I know I didn't," Rhymefest wrote on his Myspace.com blog. "Well, maybe now it's time for me to accept my responsibility, face my trial in life and take my place in history."

According to Rhymefest, reporters from MTV and the BBC will cover the meeting.

you guys should read his blogs on sohh.com, that's a real dude right there...

Man Rhymefest basically says what I've been saying, if people want rappers to stop rapping about violence we need to eliminate poverty, art imitates life

Rhymefest Talks Hip-Hop with Tory Party Leader

By Chris Richburg

Date: 10/19/2006 2:45 pm

Chicago lyricist Rhymefest found common ground Thursday (Oct. 19) while acting as a goodwill Hip-Hop ambassador during his overseas visit with Tory Party leader David Cameron.

In addition to discussing Cameron's concerns over violent rap lyrics, the London Metro Times reports that Rhymefest treated the British politician to a performance in his House of Commons office and even invited him to venture with him to a nightclub.

Although the pair was in unison about not banning Hip-Hop, they also felt that rappers have a responsibility to portray the positive side of life in their music.

"David told me what his issues were and I told him what my issues were with what could be perceived in what he was saying and we came to what I believe was an understanding," said the Grammy-winning rapper, who made no apology for using violent imagery in his lyrics to reflect the reality of Chicago street life.

Instead, he encouraged leaders to concentrate on beating poverty rather than criticize musicians.

"Politicians, if they don't like what we are saying, then have policy that uproots the disease of poverty instead of policy that promotes poverty and makes the rich richer. If you have policy that kills the disease of poverty, then you can kill the symptom of negative rap."

"Rap music comes from urban rebellion," Rhymefest continued as he voiced his opposition to those urging MCs to tone down their lyrics. "What we doing comes from our frustration. Why do we got to change? Why can't the things that cause us to yell out and cry for help change?"

Thursday's meeting came as a result of a recent request from Rhymefest to meet Cameron "over a cup of tea" after hearing the politician's criticism of DJs for playing violent songs.

The get-together proved to be productive as the duo addressed Cameron's proposals for a "music for good" initiative to use the power of music to raise funds for positive projects, such as community radio stations, around the country.

The leader called the meeting "very positive" while harping on the fact that artists, radio stations and the music industry have a responsibility and opportunity to act as positive role models for young people.

In addition, Cameron voiced his desire to celebrate and promote the positivity that music does, as well as take a stand against the negative.

"I had a very positive meeting with Rhymefest and Sony BMG today and I am keen to work with them in developing the idea of a project which harnesses the tremendous cultural power of artists and the music industry to support community radio and local music projects around the country," said Cameron.

As for the politician taking Rhymefest up on his offer to go clubbing, the Metro Times stated that Cameron declined due to his busy schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

http://blogs.sohh.com/rhymefest/2006/10/el...begins_p_1.html

"El Che: The Revolution Begins - Part II

As you all might have realized by now, last week I had one of the greatest moments of my life when I met with the UK's Conservative Party leader, David Cameron. This was not only a great moment in my own personal achievement, but it was also a great moment for the culture of Hip-Hop all over the world. There were so many interesting events in the course of my trip, but I’ll skip those and get straight to the ‘club-banger.’

First of all, next to Alicia Keys, I am the second major-label urban artist ever to enter the House of Commons in London on official business, as well as the first rapper to do so.

As I entered the House of Commons, I couldn’t help but notice the two guards armed with machine guns who stood glaring at me as I was asked to remove my metals in order to pass through the security check. Tons of press, who obviously were not allowed in the building, got there a little too late to catch my entrance yet they still swarmed anticipating my exit. David Cameron’s assistant came downstairs to meet my entourage which consisted of my UK A&R, my road manager, my label publicist, and the chairman and CEO of Sony BMG Music Entertainment UK and Ireland. No, not Clive Davis; an inconspicuous old gangsta named Ged Doherty.

I truly believe that the reason Ged accompanied me was to ensure that I didn’t **** on Sony BMG for the lack of promotion given to my album BLUE COLLAR [in stores now]. Whatever. As we entered the halls where all of the UK policy-making goes down, the reality of what I was doing started to set in. David Cameron is slated to be the next Prime Minister of Britain. He is the leader of the Conservative Party, similar to the Republicans in the US. And just like in the States, his party is somewhat despised and distrusted by the people of African and West Indian descent (read Black folks). He has been known to not only make comments that can be perceived as disparaging to the Hip-Hop culture but also controversial comments concerning crime prevention, as well as “hug a hoodie” (read people who wear hooded tops). It was not only a political liability for him to meet with me, but also a potential “keep-it-real” disaster for me as a rapper. “Hell, I can’t turn back; I’ve come this far. I gotta go through with it.” His assistant invited us to sit in his office on a huge wraparound couch next to a window with a great view of Big Ben. As the secretaries entered the room filling all of our cups with English tea, I started to feel like more than a rapper; I was officially a diplomat.

David Cameron then burst into the room; a seemingly young man with tons of energy and a huge smile. I stood up to shake his hand and expressed [to him] my gratitude for his invitation. He then began to praise me for a well-written, brilliant letter. He asked me to have a seat and speak with him. I asked him to explain to me what exactly his positions were on the banning of Hip-Hop in the UK. A smirk came across his face as he sat back, exhaled then leaned forward to speak. [Paraphrasing] “The press is so black & white,” he explained. “There’s no room for gray. If I say that Hip-Hop should have a change or reform, it gets translated as me saying ‘ban it from Radio 1’.” He continued, “I don’t expect any form of musical expression to be banned off the air waves. All I’m saying is when I turn to a station and the first thing I hear is sirens and gunshots along with violent lyrics, I feel as though it raises questions about our young people’s influences. All I’m saying is Hip-Hop seems to need more balance."

DING!!!

When he used that word [bALANCE], he struck a chord in what my whole message has been since before the release of my album BLUE COLLAR [in stores now]. Whatever. He continued, “If the radio’s mix show plays 50 Cent then they should balance it with Kanye West. If they play Lil’ Jon, they should balance it with an artist like yourself or Outkast.” My response to him was in agreement with his analysis. However, I explained to Mr. Cameron -- “No, please call me Dave." -- I explained to Dave, that the problem I perceived him to have was one of authenticity. If the people didn’t believe his concern with Hip-Hop to be genuine, then it would hurt him not only with his party but the urban base, as well. I imparted upon him if there was no policy in place from him or his party that addressed the disease of poverty and disenfranchisement, then no one would believe his concerns about their expression of those conditions. He then looked at me in amazement. I guess my articulate nature was a little more than what he expected from what The Daily Mail [a UK publication] had described as a “foul-mouthed, gangsta rapper.” He said, “You’re right. They’ll never believe it from me. But, they would from YOU.”

I was baffled by this statement.

Was he asking me to join his political cause?

Was he hinting that I should change my style to incorporate his message?

Was he offering me government support if I spread his ideas across the urban spectrum?

Stay tuned…"