JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Ronald Isley Sentenced To Three Years Prison Time

bigted

Ronald Isley Gets 3 Years in Tax Evasion

LOS ANGELES - Isley Brothers lead singer Ronald Isley has been sentenced to three years and one month in prison for tax evasion.

Isley was also ordered to pay $3.1 million in back taxes to the Internal Revenue Service, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Conte.

He was convicted last year of five counts of tax evasion and one count of willful failure to file a tax return.

During a hearing Friday, defense attorney Anthony Alexander argued that the 65-year-old singer should receive probation instead of prison time because of complications from a stroke and a recent bout with kidney cancer. Isley is expected to be sent to a prison hospital facility.

Alexander also pleaded for leniency because Isley had been attempting to pay down his IRS debt.

But U.S. District Judge Dean Pregerson declined to sentence the R&B singer to less time than called for under federal guidelines.

"The term serial tax avoider has been used. I think that's appropriate," Pregerson said.

Alexander argued during trial that "unfortunate circumstances," such as the deaths of two of Isley's accountants, made him unable to get records together and pay taxes during the years that led to the criminal charges.

Isley's recent albums include a collaboration with Burt Bacharach titled "Here I Am" and the Grammy-nominated Isley Brothers CD "Body Kiss."

Yeah that's an unfortunate situation, we see other celebrities do way worse things and get a slap on the wrist

I agree with u AJ... When I read that he is at least making an attempt to pay it back, that alone should suffice with maybe three years of probation, versus 3 years of prison tyme... Alot of celebrities get off with some things, when others are treated harsher because of their celebrity status...

The system is not fair, and maybe im biased in this case because im a huge Isley fan... I wish him the best regardless...

peace,

~ Cookie

Well that's a tough situation there, somebody that's been in the music industry for all those years shouldn't have problems paying taxes unless the record label ain't paying the artist the money that he deserves, and considering all the artists that sample the Isley Brothers I don't see the problem unless the royalty checks ain't coming in...