JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kay Gee Reunites With Naughty By Nature

bigted

Tuesday - May 30, 2006

The original members of Naughty By Nature recently reunited for an unforgettable performance at New York's BB Kings nightclub mid-May, the first time in the city since 1999.

On Wednesday (May 17), Treach and Vinnie took a crowd through memory lane, performing classics such as "O.P.P.," "Hip-Hop Hooray," "Everything's Gonna Be Alright," "Uptown Anthem," and "Mourn You Til I Join You" before bringing nearly half of the audience onstage to party with them on their closing song, "Wild Muthaf---as," (produced by and featuring Lil' Jon) from their last album, IIcons.

But, the highlight of the night came when a special guest joined the Naughty duo onstage. Midway through their performance, Treach requested his signature drink, Hennessey, shouting the request out to the bar. But, instead of a waitress bringing the bottle of cognac up to the stage, none other than Naughty By Nature's former

producer/DJ, Kay Gee, joined both Treach and Vinnie onstage to a stunned crowd.

While photographers' bulbs flashed simultaneously, Treach proclaimed "he's back" alluding to Kay Gee's return to the group as producer of the next Naughty By Nature album.

The BB King performance marked the first time the original three members of the group performed together since their split in 1999 with the release 19 Naughty IX: Natures Fury.

Now, with the announcement of their reunion, the trio plan to return back into the studio to record a forthcoming album, while in the meantime, Treach is writing songs for long anticipated his solo effort.

"The party anthems that we created with Kay Gee defined Naughty By Nature sound, so were really happy to have him back with us," said Vinnie backstage after the show.

"Looking back and seeing Kay there brought so many memories. It's good to know that he's back," proclaimed Treach.

The night was definitely one to remember. But, Naughty By Nature was not the only performers of the night. Others included Black Sheep, UMCs, and Chip Fu of The Fu Schnickens with surprise appearances from hip-hop veterans Just Ice, Craig G, King Sun, Grand Master Caz, Melle Mel, DJ Red Alert, Chip Fu, Mark 45 King, D-Nice, and newcomers Garden State Greats.

In addition to Kay Gee's return, the group will be relaunching their Naughty Gear clothing line, the first clothing line started by a hip-hop group. The line, which includes embroidered hoodies, heavyweight ringer Tee, boxers, bed sheets, and even lingerie for the ladies all imprinted with their naughty logo, can be purchased on their official website, www.naughtybynature.com.

Thanx 4 posting that!! I thought Kay Gee got back with them awhile ago. I think this is just the official way of putting it out there. I love Naughty...they are easily one of the best groups out there...even tho' some of the production waz weak on the last one. I didn't know Treach waz seriously doing a solo album, so i'm all hyped about that. But just knowing that the fellaz are activly working on a new album AND they are bringing back Naughty Gear is dope. Good newz all around.

"iicons" was a very good album and was one of my favorites back in 2002, it'd gone better than gold if more songs besides the song with 3LW was released, obviously it was lacking beatwise without kay gee at the helm of course, but now with kay gee back hopefully this new album will be big, they're one of the greatest groups ever, i'm looking forward to treach's album too