JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DMC - Checks, Thugs, + Rock-N-Roll

I got the album. And i must say i'm impressed. I know alot of people are not checking 4 this album from the track or 2 that they've heard, but i still urge people 2 check it out who are feeling this review. I must admit, i waz gonna pick it up no matter what. I love Hip-Hop, i love Run-DMC, and i love music that matters. 2 my surprise, DMC erased all doubts that lingured in my head about his solo project. And while his voice isn't the same...HE HAS NOT LOST HIS VOICE!!

Here we go...

WATCHTOWER - This rock infested track waz the 1st song i heard off the album awhile ago. It's got a steady thump backed up by live drums and guitars that shine on the hook. It's an inspirational song. I won't get in2 the lyrics 2 heavily.

FREAKY CHICK - This has a funky rockish kinda vibe. It's just about those attractive wild kinda girls who crave attention. He flows on this chunky beat perfectly.

JUST LIKE ME - This is the single most of us have heard. DMC's vocal change is very obvious on this one. It sounds like he's trying 2 rock the mic like he used on those Run-DMC trax where he'd be screaming...and vocally it just doesn't seem 2 work. But when u hear the whole album, u just realize that this DMC at his most vunerable. Sarah McLachlan shines on this. I don't listen 2 her music...but i LOVE her on this song. The song deals with adoption and parent/child relationships. Powerful stuff....and the video is amazing.

LOVEY DOVEY - THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST HIP-HOP TRAX EVER!! No lie!! It has this summery, soulful Hip-Hop sound. Totally timeless. It features the one and only Doug E. Fresh at his best. It's one of those songs where the fellaz are just showing love 2 ladies. Tons of Hip-Hop references are in the lyrics. Doug E. even does some beatboxing at the end. I can't say enough about this song. Check it or miss out.

FIND MY WAY - This is a very moody, edgy kinda song. I love it. The beat has a Hip-Hop foundation with some acoustics tossed on top. It's a very mid-tempo track and DMC rocks the beat in a very steady, controled way and adds more edge 2 it by distorting his voice. It's another inspirational kinda joint. Kid Rock not only produced this song...but he sings on the hook. Over the years, i've totally learned 2 appriciate Kid Rock's bad boy genre-jumping style. But even if u don't like him, u'll probably love the way he sprinkles the hook of this song. THIS ONE IS DOPE.

MACHINE GUN - This song deals with the whole Iraq situation. It's a heavily rock influenced track. It has the vocal echo that were so popular in the Run-DMC stuff. The subject matter is good...but i can see myself skipping over this track kinda often.

COLD - Back 2 straight Hip-Hop. This is a moderatly slow Hip-Hop joint with sped up soul samples on the hook. It features Ms. Jade. I haven't checked the lyrics on this one really...but the song is great.

WHAT'S WRONG - Straight Hip-Hop with fly R-N-B vocals on it. The song deals with the the bad choices of todays youth...smoking weed, drugs, sex, etc. Very deep song. Another one people need 2 hear.

CADILLAC CARS - I'm not feeling this one so much. DMC pimps out his vocals over this chunky funky Hip-Hop joint with country vibe and twangy harmonica.

ONLY GOD KNOWS - He makes up 4 the last one with this one. This is a more agressive Hip-Hop track. It's one of those songs about life. I'm not gonna spell it out 4 ya...but the lyrics are dope.

COME 2GETHER - This is the joint. THIS IS RUN + DMC BACK 2GETHER!! They didn't lie when they said they would be 2gether forever. This beat is amazing. It's got this heavy urban thump that kinda reminds me of really good mid-90's Hip-Hop. It's just a breath of fresh air. Run kicks a dope verse...better than any of the verse on this purposly heavily retro album.

SUCKA SUCKA - Here's a mid-tempo, dark kinda song from DMC. This is what happens when a true Hip-Hop head gets fed up with the industry, fake commerical rappers, and fake people in general. He's calling out all the phoney's on this one. He reminds us all he's still a king on this one.

GOODBYE - This a slow tempo, retro-feeling Hip-Hop joint. He's letting his home know his still down and not going anywhere on this track.

I haven't watched the bonus DVD yet, but this is what's on it...

1. Just Like Me

2. The Story of Just Like Me

3. Interviews with Producers + Director

4. Machine Gun

5. The Story of Machine Gun

6. Q -N-A with DMC

All and all, i love this album. I think it's dope. His is grown Hip-Hop for the true heads. DMC's lyrics are current with an occiasional dip in 2 some old school stylings (who would have it any other way?) Over half of the album has great beats and DMC hasn't lost his voice at all.

I urge everyone 2 give the album a listen. At least these tracks... Lovey Dovey, Find My Way, Cold, What's Wrong, Only God Knows, Come 2gether, Sucka Sucka, Goodbye.

Even tho' DMC only cusses on 2 of the trax (i think), there is an edited version. And the album is only $9.99 thru' Saturday if u go 2 Circuit City. As a sales person if it's not on the shelf. My location only got a few copies and wasn't supposed 2 put them out (but they did anyway). If u want the DVD, i'd get the album soon...cuz it's probably a limited edition type of deal.

Yeah, the album dropped Tuesday. I couldn't find it at 1st. It's definitly out there...some places may not have it. All the record stores i have visited have a few copies. Circuit City, FYE, and Borders all have it.

I was talking 2 people in 1 of the record stores about it. Those who have heard it like it and the other are interested and asking about it. Now that i look back on it, i should have mentioned FP's album in hopes they'd check that out 2.

I'm glad other people are feeling the album. Since my taste seems 2 be different from alot of other peoples'...i feel like i may be misleading them when i say i really like and album and they'll pick it up and not like it..ha ha.