JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kobe Bryant scores 81 Points in an NBA game

MaxFly

I don't like Kobe, but I don't hate him either. I do respect his game though. I know he had a great game last night, but I just think he needs to pass more and get an attitude adjustment.

No matter how much he passes, the team won't win unless the other guys actually MAKE the shot, and can run the offense on their own. In the Toronto game, no one else was executing besides Kobe. Therefore he took over. There have been a lot of games like that this season, can you really expect lineup of Smush Parker, Chris Mihm and Kwame Brown to consistently produce for you every game? All of them are inconsistent. The bench is no better either. Lamar Odom, the Laker's second best player doesn't know when to be assertive, sometimes he shows up and sometimes he doesn't. So that leaves Kobe as the lone guy that shows up every night for the Lakers.

If Kobe passes and there's no one there to produce from his passes, then damn let him shoot. He isn't a Steve Nash, he's a scorer and he'll keep doing it as long as it keeps the Lakers winning.

Oh and about Jordan ONLY scoring 69? so what?

it's not like that was jordan's claim to fame. Kobe putting up 81 shouldn't udermine Jordan. if tht we're true, lets throw Elgin Baylor and David Robinson in the Picture. Their 71 Point games we're passed up, as well. David thompsons, 73. This is a great accomplishment, but lets not go comparing him to the Mike. Jordan = Jordan, kobe = Kobe.

I'm not saying that, in no way do I think he's a better player. I think it was a great achievement offensively, but obviously defence and assisting your teammates are just as important (2 assists? :hmm: ), there both very different palyers and you shoulden't really compare them in general terms but 35 ppg like Kobe's doing now is resembling Jordan's best season were he averaged 37 ppg, that's the point I was making,

I guess I'm going to be the lone voice here and say that Kobe's performance was NOT impressive. For one man to score 81 points in a basketball game means that there was no team concept at all. The other reason why I don't find it impressive is that the Toronto Raptors... ARE THE WORST TEAM IN THE NBA!!!! They play absolutely no defense and it was apparent that they played no defense on Sunday night. Kobe was just jacking up shots(btw, he threw up 46 shots) and everybody just decided to stop playing.

I won't rank it as an all-time great individual performance because it was a meaningless regular season game where the opponent did absolutely nothing to get in his way. In my mind it ranks behind Wilt Chamberlin's 100-point night because Wilt did in a time where the black athlete was still considered to be "inferior". I put it behind Jordan's 63-point performance in the playoffs because well... it was the playoffs and it was against a Boston Celtics team that played great defense and would eventually win the NBA title in 1986.

I'm sure ESPN and everyone else will be salivating over the performance but when Kobe does the following in ONE year then get back to me:

Win the NBA Scoring title(35 points per game)

Win the NBA Slam Dunk Contest

Win the NBA All-Star Game MVP

Be voted as a starter to the East All-Star Team

Be voted to the All-NBA First Team

Be voted to the NBA All-Defensive Team

Lead the NBA in steals

Win the NBA Defensive Player Of The Year

Win the NBA Most Valuable Player Award

Who did this? Who else - Michael Jordan... in 1988.

• Admin

I guess I'm going to be the lone voice here and say that Kobe's performance was NOT impressive. For one man to score 81 points in a basketball game means that there was no team concept at all.

:word: If one player has to score 81 points for your team to win you have a serious problem :thumbdown:

Here I go... This might get nasty... so be it.

just inform me when kobe gets an all team defensive player award.

Kobe's been on 5 all defensive teams I believe. He's been on the All-Defensive first team twice, he's been on the All-Defensive second team twice, and he's been on the All-Defensive third team once.

In fact, the thing that separates Kobe from T-Mac, Lebron, Carter and a few of the other swing men is that he plays excellent defense. Dude plays ball hard on both ends of the court. He hasn't won a defensive player of the year award, but that's hard when you have Ron Artest, Ben Wallace and Bruce Bowen in the league...

I guess I'm going to be the lone voice here and say that Kobe's performance was NOT impressive. For one man to score 81 points in a basketball game means that there was no team concept at all. The other reason why I don't find it impressive is that the Toronto Raptors... ARE THE WORST TEAM IN THE NBA!!!! They play absolutely no defense and it was apparent that they played no defense on Sunday night. Kobe was just jacking up shots(btw, he threw up 46 shots) and everybody just decided to stop playing.
Kobe's game was very impressive. Here's why...

Lost in all the hype concerning the 81 point game is that the Lakers were down by 18 in the third quarter and Bryant had 26 points before he turned it on. Let me make this clear, Bryant had 26 points and the Lakers were down by 18 points in the third quarter.

Lost in all the hype is the fact that the rest of Bryant's team was shooting a little over 35% at that point in the game. Outside of Bryant, the rest of the Lakers were shooting a little above 35% against the supposed WORST TEAM IN THE NBA. You're not going to pick up many assists when your teammates are shooting about 35%. The Raptors have been accused of playing bad defense, but the Laker role players must really suck to have THE WORST TEAM IN THE NBA put them on lock. Even more reason for Bryant to leave it all on the floor and try to get the win while his supporting cast was stinking up the court.

Also, this was the Lakers 3rd game in 4 nights... Incidentally, Toronto isn't the worst team in the NBA right now. Both the Bobcats and the Hawks have worse records...

What makes this game impressive is that Kobe scored 81 points in an era where a lot of NBA teams don't even get real 81 points during the course of the season. Kobe shot a little over 60% from the field and he shot 90% from the free throw line. Kobe created most of his shots and his team didn't slow the game down so that he could get 81. What a lot of people won't tell you is that when Wilt scored 100, his teammates were instructed to foul the other team so that the clock would stop and Wilts team could regain possession quickly. As soon as Wilt would score, his teammates would foul an opposing player to stop the clock. Kobe in contrast got his points in the flow of the game. Also, Kobe got 81 in an age where basketball games are slower and lower scoring. The average score in a game during Wilt's time was 118 points... Today, it's 97 points.

I won't rank it as an all-time great individual performance because it was a meaningless regular season game where the opponent did absolutely nothing to get in his way. In my mind it ranks behind Wilt Chamberlin's 100-point night because Wilt did in a time where the black athlete was still considered to be "inferior". I put it behind Jordan's 63-point performance in the playoffs because well... it was the playoffs and it was against a Boston Celtics team that played great defense and would eventually win the NBA title in 1986.

I've heard this argument quite a bit on a lot of the basketball forums. You have to realize that the Lakers were down by 18 points in the third quarter in their 3rd game in 4 nights... Kobe brought them back and the Lakers ended up winning by double digits, while he shot 60% and scored 81 points.

Wilt also took 63 shots and 32 free throws to get to 100.

As for black athletes being considered "inferior," that was a social distinction; it didn't have anything to do with their basketball skills or their worth as basketball players. Wilt averaged over 50 points one season. Black people may have still been considered "inferior" but black athletes were certainly not considered so in the realm of sports. I think that distinction is important because while there were obviously social difficulties, black athletes were far and wide regarded as good at sports. Wilts performance only served to support that, but it brought about no great change socially.

Also, I'm from Boston. I know Celtic basketball. I grew up on Celtic basketball. Old tapes, people who went to games.... I endured the new era of Rick Fox and Reggie Lewis, so I had no choice but to bask in the "good old times." The Celtics, my Celtics, were by no means defensive stalwarts. There was no zone defense. You could only double if a player had the ball in their hands. The Celtics had no one who could slow Jordan down, less stop him. He was too quick. Sort of in the same way the Celtics had no way to slow Dominique down.

I'm sure ESPN and everyone else will be salivating over the performance but when Kobe does the following in ONE year then get back to me:

Win the NBA Scoring title(35 points per game)

Win the NBA Slam Dunk Contest

Win the NBA All-Star Game MVP

Be voted as a starter to the East All-Star Team

Be voted to the All-NBA First Team

Be voted to the NBA All-Defensive Team

Lead the NBA in steals

Win the NBA Defensive Player Of The Year

Win the NBA Most Valuable Player Award

Who did this? Who else - Michael Jordan... in 1988.

I personally don't think that Kobe is better than Jordan. Jordan is by far the best to ever lace up a pair of sneakers, but I must say that Jordan fans get far too defensive far too easily. When people list things that Jordan has accomplished, you guys have to realize why come players can't do everything he did, and as a result, will never be as good.

Kobe Was:

Voted to the West All-Star Team

Voted to the NBA All-Defensive First Team

Won the All-Star Game MVP

Voted to the All-NBA First Team

all in one season...

He'll probably win MVP and the scoring title this season as well as get some of those things I listed above. He won the dunk contest his rookie year.

Most people don't realize that Kobe was a bench player his first two years in the NBA, subing in for Eddie Jones after being the youngest player (during that time) to play in the NBA. He didn't come in as an automatic star with his own team to run as Jordan did. As a result, he'll never achieve many of the things Jordan did. But I'll tell you this, he's the closest 2 guard to Jordan to ever play the game with the exception of Dr. J... and I think he's just entering his prime. Jordan entered his prime at 27... Kobe's 27...

Yes Kobe has been named to 5 All-Defensive teams but I could have named to the All-Defensive team if I had Shaq as the last line of defense. All of Kobe's accomplishments have come because of having Shaq as a teammate for all of those years.

He was nowhere to be found on the Defensive Team last year and was named to the All-NBA THIRD Team. He's a great talent but he's not a leader. He'll average 35-40ppg and possibly put the Lakers in the playoffs. They'll be a first-round exit.

Again, when he leads a team to a championship or two... or six, win 5 MVPs, 6 NBA Finals MVP, 10 Scoring Titles, a 13-time All-Star, a 9-time All-Defensive First Team Selection, a 3-time All-Star Game MVP, win Defensive Player Of The Year and countless other awards then get back at me.

Yes Kobe has been named to 5 All-Defensive teams but I could have named to the All-Defensive team if I had Shaq as the last line of defense. All of Kobe's accomplishments have come because of having Shaq as a teammate for all of those years.

He was nowhere to be found on the Defensive Team last year and was named to the All-NBA THIRD Team. He's a great talent but he's not a leader. He'll average 35-40ppg and possibly put the Lakers in the playoffs. They'll be a first-round exit.

Again, when he leads a team to a championship or two... or six, win 5 MVPs, 6 NBA Finals MVP, 10 Scoring Titles, a 13-time All-Star, a 9-time All-Defensive First Team Selection, a 3-time All-Star Game MVP, win Defensive Player Of The Year and countless other awards then get back at me.

See, this is the argument I can't understand: Shaq got Kobe everything? Come on. Why is he playing so well in the absence of Shaq and with such a weak supporting cast now; one that shot 33% against, by your admission, the worst team in the NBA. Kobe had a subpar year last year... and subpar for him was 27 and a half points a game, 6 assists and 6 rebounds. The team had an even worse year with a lot of the injuries and their coach leaving halfway through the year. Are you willing to bet that Bryant won't be on any if not the All-Defensive first team this year? He's shut down most of the elite swing guards he's guarded so far this year.

A lot of people seem to think that Kobe had everything handed to him. The guy came off the bench for two years... The guy has the most intensive training regimens in the league: he practices at 4 in the mornings over the summer... His hard work seems to have gotten him to where he is.

A lot of Jordan fans feel threatened, but there's no reason for that. Of course some people will say "Kobe's better than Jordan," but we all know that's not true. There's no reason to diminish a player's accomplishments in order to bolster Jordan's. Just let their accomplishments stand next to eachother and it should be clear that Kobe can't even touch Jordan at this point in his career.

A couple of summers ago, Kobe Bryant transformed his body by adding muscle mass to his skinny frame. I was impressed with his results and got a copy of his self named "666 Routine." The 666 routine stands for 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, 6 months of training. Of course most of us don't have 6 hours a day to work out so I listed below his weight training regimine. His workout also includes 2 hours of running, 2 hours of basketball, and 1 hour of cardio (boxing, jump rope in Kobe's case,) to go along with 1 hour of the exercises listed below.

Day 1 & Day 4

Bench press

Lat pull-downs

Incline press

Military press

Abdominal crunches

Day 2 & Day 5

Lateral dumbbell raises

Bar dips

Tricep press-downs

Bicep curls

Abdominal crunches

Day 3 & Day 6

Back squats/Front squats

Leg curls

Leg extensions

Calf raises

Abdominal crunches

Mark of the Beast references aside... that's a crazy regimen...