JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z interview (GOOD READ!)

Frenetic

That's funny how Jay-Z thought then that the ones who buy the most albums are the smartest people when later on he admits that he dumbed down to get a larger audience, you're right though if he was dissin' Will in that song like that the media would've blown it up since they're both big name artists...

Edited by bigted

Jay-Z' gonna drop DMX from Def Jam? :thumbdown: I find that kinda surprising 'cause I thought that him and DMX were tight...

Edited by bigted

How is he gonna drop DMX?!? That is a dumb ass move. Seriously. I mean, if DMX wasn't going to do any more music, then let him leave on his own; Don't shove him out the door. DMX is a talented guy. His lyrics may not blow you away, but they draw you in and he spits ever word with heart.

People underestimate DMX's place in the rap game, he should be in the same sentence as Nas and Jay-Z, he's had a solid body of work over the last decade with his 5 albums that all went at least platinum too...

Yeah, DMX is good, he has a lot of legal troubles lately, but he spits it hard, puts his heart and soul into every track. It would be a mistake for Jay-Z to drop him from Def Jam. And I agree with Fuq, he wouldn't man up in that interview, he was just trying to be nice about it without coming out and saying he thought he was better, because that seemed to be what he was trying to get at.

VIBE: Your album's at 3 million. Will Smith's is at 4 million. What dose that tell you about the state of hip-hop?

JAY-Z: Will did a great thing for hip-hop. He brought light onto it, exposed people to it who normally wouldn't be listenin.' Some people are gonna love and stick with Will. SOme people are gonna say, "I wanna little more edge to my music." The more educated people are, the more they're gonna look for the cream of the crop.

VIBE: Do you mean your own work?

JAY-Z: Yeah.

VIBE: You would say Will is the cream of the crop?

JAY-Z: Me and Will make different music. He's a very creative person. I think mine has more edge and is more reality-based than his.

I don't see this as a diss at all... Jay-z is saying the thruth! They make different music...

I doubt that there ever has been any beef between Will and Jay...If you ask me they are cool!

Jay-Z should've just simply said there that they're two different artists, you can't compare our styles, instead of saying that he's edgier and more reality based, that's not true, Will has an aggressive flow and raps about reality just like Jay-Z does, and could be laid back just like Jay-Z is too, some songs from Jay-Z don't have an edge either just like some songs, he makes chill tracks too, especially songs on "Blueprint" but they're good. They both rhyme about different things that're real to them though which makes them individual artists, there's no question though that Will has influenced Jay, let's get that clear, he should only say nice things about Will. "Volume 2" and "Big Willie Style" are the type of albums that cemented Will's place back in the rap game after he dropped the mic for a while and introduced Jay to the public as a household name respectively, they ain't their best albums but they're albums that impacted the industry and are their most famous albums. I wonder where Jay'd rank Will when it comes to best rappers of the '80s and '90s where he put a top 5 there, he put LL in at the 4th best in the 80s, is Scarface really the top 5 of the '90s? I like him but I didn't know he was that great. For the record I'm gonna say that I enjoy DMX's "The Great Depression" much more than Jay-Z' "Blueprint" album, I think that was the bigger classic album in 2001, that still goes in my CD player on rotation, that's probably his 2nd best album after "It's Dark And Hell Is Hot", "Flesh Of My Flesh, Blood Of My Blood" is also classic in my book, I don't why Kool Moe Dee couldn't put him in his top 50, he definately is I'd say...

Edited by bigted

This article came from April '99 from Vibe, this was around the time "Volume 2" and "Big Willie Style" were out on the chart, it's not as bad as what Bow Wow said but I don't like that he said that his music is more reality based and harder than Will's, especially since he was rapping over a lot of commercial samples at that time too, "Volume 2" was a good album though, I liked that album, lol, it's safe to say that "Just The Two Of Us" is reality for Will just like "Hard Knock Life" is reality for Jay-Z... Dr. Dre and Eminem were mad at Will for criticising rappers who talk about killing on their songs at that time and Jay-Z was working with them around that time so he probably was just backing them up then, he gave "Lost and Found" props I think so there's no beef anymore...:

VIBE: Your album's at 3 million. Will Smith's is at 4 million. What dose that tell you about the state of hip-hop?

JAY-Z: Will did a great thing for hip-hop. He brought light onto it, exposed people to it who normally wouldn't be listenin.' Some people are gonna love and stick with Will. SOme people are gonna say, "I wanna little more edge to my music." The more educated people are, the more they're gonna look for the cream of the crop.

VIBE: Do you mean your own work?

JAY-Z: Yeah.

VIBE: You would say Will is the cream of the crop?

JAY-Z: Me and Will make different music. He's a very creative person. I think mine has more edge and is more reality-based than his.

This is great I think. Jigga clearly likes Will.

By the way waht did Hova say abut Lost And Found?

Hip Hop Shows Love To Lost & Found

Hip Hop Icons Jay-z & Nas have been quoted given props to the new Will Smith album! Jay-Z said the other day it's all he's been listening to the last couple days. Nas mention his name is the UK saying it's about time someone with Will's status talk about the state of hiphop because more people (rappers) are gonna take note that even Will notice the lack of realism in hiphop.

That's what Jay-z said about Lost & Found!

Jay-Z said the week after "Lost and Found" came out that he was listening to a few days nonstop, he must be a fan then! :2thumbs: Nas also commented that it's about time that a rapper of Will's status speaks on the state of hip-hop, KRS and Rakim also said they felt the message of the "Lost and Found" track:

http://www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com/forum/...t=0entry51769

btw, do y'all notice the difference between the lyrics of 50 Cent's "How To Rob" and his lyrics now? He actually rapped complete sentences then 'cause of Nas' ghostwriting, it's obvious he wrote it 'cause every famous rapper except Nas and LL was mentioned in there, LL might've had a hand in that too! :kekeke: That'd be funny though if Nas gets everybody who was dissed on that track to all diss 50 Cent on a mixtape and kill his career! :mygod:

Edited by bigted

Jay-Z said the week after "Lost and Found" came out that he was listening to a few days nonstop, he must be a fan then! :2thumbs: Nas also commented that it's about time that a rapper of Will's status speaks on the state of hip-hop, KRS and Rakim also said they felt the message of the "Lost and Found" track:

http://www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com/forum/...t=0entry51769

Wow thats great! It`s all love!

btw, do y'all notice the difference between the lyrics of 50 Cent's "How To Rob" and his lyrics now? He actually rapped complete sentences then 'cause of Nas' ghostwriting, it's obvious he wrote it 'cause every famous rapper except Nas and LL was mentioned in there, LL might've had a hand in that too! :kekeke: That'd be funny though if Nas gets everybody who was dissed on that track to all diss 50 Cent on a mixtape and kill his career! :mygod:

He probably didn`t diss LL caus thinking about Canibus scared the **** out of him :lolsign: