JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smiths new single being slept on...

Well not everyone doing movies has success with music look at Nick Cannon, his album didn't go gold even after he had a couple of hit movies under his belt before it dropped. It's a possibility that "Independence Day" and "Bad Boys" was the reason why Will was offered a contract to Columbia, maybe it was their idea that he'd release his albums under Will Smith instead of Fresh Prince 'cause more people knew him as Will Smith from those movies, if those movies weren't doing well maybe he wouldn't have even got an offer on Columbia, maybe no major label would sign him either 'cause record labels were dumping ol' school rappers not signing them, "Code Red" could've been his last album but who knows maybe if it sold as "Homebase" maybe JJFP would still be on Jive for a couple more albums and maybe Will wouldn't have decided to act so much but none of his albums would ever sell 10 million.

the reason why ppl still knew him back in 1997 was his success in movies. you cant deny that, cause thats a fact. he officially stopped doing music back in 1993/94 and he said that he isnt going to do music anymore. ppl wouldnt buy BWS if he hadnt been so successful. Men In Black was his first track which was at the same time the soundtrack for his biggest movie back then. and thats also the reason why Willenium didnt do so well. These 8million ppl who bought BWS were just lil kids who had no idea about real hiphop.

JJFP Rock The House

In some ways i have to say i agree with you. i admit that i was one of those kids, i saw Men In Black, loved it and brought Will Smith's BWS album because of the song "Men In Black". but i was 11 when the album came out and from what i can remember it is the first time i truely knew what Rap was, but unlike most of the "kids" who brought the album just because of "Men In Black" i have brought all of Will Smith's Albums on the day of release since, and the first Rap song i ever remember hearing was "Boom! Shake The Room" back when i was in First school at the age of 7, as it was used in one of the scene's for the school play (which i was in :wickedwisdom: ), and at the time i had no idea who it was, but it obviously made an impression on me because Will Smith's BWS album was the first Rap album i ever brought and i have been a fan of his music ever since and i'm now going back and buying any "DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince" album whenever i can find them, so far i have only managed to find "Code Red".

But Will does have a different Fan Base to acts like 50 cent, i think Will has an older generation of fans, who brought his and Jeff's albums, and still buy Will's albums because of them being Fan's of his music.

everybody is screaming that he should leave doing music...

why? he is just doing what he loves and he has a right to do that!

just because he doesn't sell as many records as 50 cent or G(ay) Unit etc, doesn't mean he should stop doing what he loves, he has fans and i'm sure he appreciates them alot more then 50 does.

:word: man !

I think the main problem with this "success" discussion is, ps may not get much airplay or have success in America. but thats not the case in Europe. Switch was big, not airplay but in sales, it was huge.

PS seems to be getting less airplay than switch since i still havnt heard it on the radio, but i saw it on tv today then i turned over to another music channel and it was on again. If its anything like switch was over here, it will get little airplay but people will still buy it, im just hoping its been played enough for people to know its out. Still 2 weeks until the release date so its certainly no-where near over.

Lost and Found has sold more than born to reign tho right? And hes sold more than most other rappers, so i dont think its the end of Wills rap career, he'll just give us better albums as he gets older.