JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

McDonald's in HipHop Uniforms

McDonald's In Talks With Hip-Hop Designers For Uniforms

By Nolan Strong

Date: 7/5/2005 11:53 am

McDonald’s has already tapped into Hip-Hop music to help sell their food and promote their brand and now the fast food giant is in talks with Sean John, Rocawear and Fubu to give employee’s uniforms a makeover.

McDonald’s has hired music mogul Steve Stoute, who runs Translation Consulting and Brand Imaging to oversee the project.

The fast food giant’s aim is to make the employee uniform more desirable and to turn the clothing into walking advertisements for the McDonald’s brands.

“McDonald’s has evolved and become a lifestyle brand,” Stoute told AdAge.com. “Since it now is relevant to our lifestyle, let’s go one step further and make its employees relevant to our lifestyle as well.”

Other designers being considered for the uniform revamp include American Apparel, American Eagle Outfitters, Tommy Hilfiger and others.

In recent months, McDonald’s offered royalties to rappers who include the “Big Mac” sandwich in a hit record.

In that campaign, the artist who name checks the song in the song will be paid a royalty based on the amount of times the record is played on the radio.

Representatives said the initiatives are part of a broader marketing campaign to use Hip-Hop to sell their products.

The company also hired various rapper’s to perform at certain offline events and more recently, used the Kanye West produced single “Move Around” by Chicago rapper Bump J in a commercial.

Well, everybody in the street is gonna say " I went to Mickey D's to eat some fri-es/ Tried to squirt ketchup on my Big Mac, and got it my ey-e"

And if McD's gets stylish uniforms, expect employees to lose them the next day, cuz somebody jacked em for it. And even if employees get stylish uniforms, they STILL can't sag because it's a bad image to customers. What a pity. :lolsign:

Next thing U know, McD's will go from family outting restaurant to Clubbin' + Eatin' restaurant.

I question this whole idea. It's like we're reliving all the 80s phenomeon people took to Hip-Hop, but now it's gettin' taken by a whole heap of bad images. :hmm:

I share Fuq's skepticism here. I will never, ever, ever eat at a fast food restaurant because of cool uniforms. If they wanna update them to make the atmosphere of their restaurant look a little more updated, that's cool, but they're trying to get people to buy into a "McDonalds lifestyle"?!?!? :lolsign: Ummmmmm... no. If I was ever put in charge of advertising and whatnot for a fast food chain, I would give up on all these health campaigns, and campaigns to make the place seem classier and more reasonable to eat at regularly. Or cool or whatever it is they're going for. I'd just tell the truth: of course we're unhealthy, what we sell can hardly even be classified as "food." But you know it tastes good, and you know you want it. So every once in a while, when you don't have time to worry about cooking or finding real food, come buy and indulge. It's cheap, too! (ramblinggggggggggg :rant: )

If they wanna take over the world, they should hire Juggles...

"Never any jobs for Juggles. Noooo, noooo. Oh sure, an elephant stampede or two, and all of a sudden; Juggles is poison! And I tell ya another thing, I could've sold twice as many hamburgers as that Ronald guy. That no act clown. As if they even saw me smoking that cigar." :haha: