JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

COMPUTER BREAKDOWN!

mfuqua23

Hey y'all. This is not a joke. I'm on the computer downstairs, which is actually my parents, but they never use it. A tragedy took place today.

It was like any other day. I was online and my computer just cut off. I didn't do nothin'. Nothin' outta the ordinary. So I tried to cut it back on and then..., I got nothing. I experimented and hit the menu buttons just below the monitor's screen. the [1] to be exact. The monitor's screen came up and said "NO SIGNAL". Everything was plugged in like it was suppose to be. So I unplugged everything after I cut it off and cleaned the area. Then I put everything back in place and go the same thing. WHY???!?!?!?!!! I read the User Guide and Monitor book. Nothing was of help. The most I got was 'if the screen says NO SIGNAL, it's probably ok' OK? OK? Yes, I'm got that, but what do I do about it? I need somebody's help in any way shape or form. It will be so so so much appreciated, it's not funny.

And if I don't get back on page, I can't listen to Will Smith's Switch (3:18) no skipping track anymore. I can't work on my cd mixes. I can't work on my album. I can't type up school reports. Etc. etc.

Please, is there a computer genius in the house?!?!

I turned on the monitor and the modem. The monitor light is green, then turns yellow and the screen is blank. I hit the [1] and I look at NO SIGNAL thing again. While that occurs, the modem cuts on green. Normally it revs up and U'd hear a beep. (and the monitor screen would load up. Not this time Jack! It just cuts on and I get nothing. Everything is plugged in correctly. Snug, not jammed. Firm, not tight. It's even color coded for 'big willie' sake.

The only buttons below is..

[1] <] and [> which are contrast and color buttons, and [2] which doesn't do anything in relation to this problem.

hmmm, not too sure. You need to find out which part is broken; the monitor, the cable or the computer...

Try the monitor cable from your other computer. The data cable connecting the computer and the monitor, not the power cable. If it still doesn't work then it's probably not the cable that's broken.

If that doesn't work try plugging your other computer to the broken monitor to see if it's the monitor that's broken.

If that doesn't work try plugging your working monitor into the other computer to see if it's the computer that's broken...

that should keep ya going for a while

Are you hearing any of the usual noises from your computer? (the sound of the fan, etc) Does your computer normally have a light on it when you turn it on? Is the light working?

A couple of suggestions (I think you tried most of these), though it's probably none of these, but... Try turning your computer off and back on. Try unplugging it and plugging it back in. Try a different power outlet.

If your sure there's electricity going into your computer but you don't get any lights or fans turning on, your power supply might have died.

The usual noises. The fan... nope. The beep after the fan... nope. I tried the off and on method. I got nothing. I tried plug and unplug. Still nothin'. The modem light and monitor light comes on. However, my modem doesn't have a light in the back like the hp pavilion. Only left for me to try is the rearranging that "heavy technology" :kekeke:

Ok. now I realise your fan and stuff isn't working. This happened to me about 8 months ago. What you have to do is try a different power cable with your computer. If it still doesn't work it's very likely that your PSU (power supply unit) has broken. It's the 'box' fitted in the back of your tower that your plug the power cord into.

My new one cost about £30, but I fitted it myself, you may have to pay more if you're not sure how to.

OK, the fan thing. That actually is working. I hear it and can feel the air. That's all outta my modem that is working. The light cuts on as well. So is it still the Power Supply Unit? That's probably it cuz I tried my parents XP computer in my 98 modem and it did the same thing as if the same parts were together.

I'm not entirely sure about the fitted box. If I'm lookin at it right, mine is below modem's power cord. It's in between two screws. And it's left of the fans ventilation. I'll look up my modem to be sure.

If we've found the problem, and I'm able to fix it then,.....

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!!

This is the greatest site and forum ever. Tim, if they ever try to shut ya down, I GOTCHA BACK!!! J5, U've done it again. :thumb:

Again thanks y'all for any new and reassuring info.

Edited by mfuqua23