JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What do you think?

MooseKnuckles

This is a part of a very interesting Sharktale review:

Shark Tale is a pretty damn cool movie to look at. It’s also quite entertaining. But based on the buzzings of some of my critical colleagues, I can tell that it’s going to be one of those movies that they’ve all decided to dislike.

This really isn’t that shocking when I think about it -- the same has been true of every other Will Smith movie in recent memory. MEN IN BLACK II was not qualitatively much different from its predecessor, yet writers everywhere slammed it, and readers slammed me for liking it. WILD WILD WEST is actually a movie with lots of visual imagination, on a par with Barry Sonnenfeld’s well-liked and thoroughly plotless ADDAMS FAMILY flicks. And I, ROBOT actually gets better as it goes along. But I think people -- critics, especially -- are just sick of Smith.

And honestly, I understand why. When you see Smith in soundbite-sized doses, like movie trailers, all that comes through is his cockiness, the “I’m so fly” attitude that represents all that is least appealing about macho youngsters. But in the vast majority of his performances there’s more than that -- usually there’s at least one moment where it becomes clear that wisecracks won’t save him, or that something’s coming after him that his cocky worldview had never prepared for (the major exception is INDEPENDENCE DAY, which critics were unduly kind to; Roger Ebert famously revised his opinion of it and got caricatured in GODZILLA as a result. It may be that the other critics who weren’t so public in their reassessment are retroactively kicking themselves and punishing Smith for it). Smith also doesn’t help himself by continuing to cling to his ever-less-interesting rap career. Had he not become a movie star by now, the Fresh Prince would undoubtedly be on TV’s THE SURREAL LIFE instead of Flavor Flav. Most of the hatred for WILD WILD WEST, I believe, is a direct result of the Smith-performed theme tune, aptly parodied by Cartman on SOUTH PARK.

well..we all know that will's movies are usually panned..thats a theory as to why..i just found it interesting

i don't really think it's a fair assessment. It's more of a judgement by that particular critic. He said "people-esp. critics" are sick of him. I think he may speak for the critics, but if the people are sick of him, why did I, Robot make $145 mil at the box office. Why is Shark Tale his 2nd hit of the year. I know a lot of ppl love him, more as an actor than a rapper, sure but a lot of ppl like him. He's known as a nice guy and all around likeable. People, and some sritics mention that all the time. Even after wild, wild west, he didn't go from the A-list to the c-list in Hollywood. That says a lot considering most people, like ben Affleck are doing poorly after a flop.

• Members

I think you guys look to much into it i mean i have to admit some of Will's movies did suck and he is kind of like the terrel owens of rap he brags alot but has the skill and freshnees to back it up

it doesn't matter how much one album contributed to the his overall sales or how long ago ... people still bought it then and that means they like his music

not "like"..."liked" i dont mean to come off as a guy who hates will, but he doesnt have a lot of fans right now..this new album could change that, definetley..but right now, he doesnt have a lotta fans (at least in the US)..i hope that changes, but im realistic..what matters is that hes still makin the music for his fans, no matter how many there are..as long as he does that, and makes good music, he will always have his dedicated fan base

Edited by MooseKnuckles

you'd change your opinion if like me you were at leicester square when he preformed in the august just gone - what made it more impressive was that it was not advertised it was a totally surprise concert - i lost count of the amount of people i saw on their phones telling people to get there quick as will smith was gonna perform

not "like"..."liked" i dont mean to come off as a guy who hates will, but he doesnt have a lot of fans right now..this new album could change that, definetley..but right now, he doesnt have a lotta fans (at least in the US)..i hope that changes, but im realistic..what matters is that hes still makin the music for his fans, no matter how many there are..as long as he does that, and makes good music, he will always have his dedicated fan base

he does have more fans of his films than his music. You're right about him not having too many fans of his music.