JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Dr. Dre Premieres "Kush" Video

VIsqo

Dr. Dre Premieres "Kush" Video

Dr. Dre has released the music video for his single "Kush." The Joseph Kahn-directed video centers its premise around the anticipation for Dre's comeback. It opens with Dre arriving at a party. As he navigates through the venue, we see that everyone is literally frozen in place waiting for his arrival. Eventually, Dre lights the kush to finally get the party started. The final scene looks like it's straight out of John Singleton thriller.

What's a Dre clip these days without product placement? There's plenty in "Kush," as Doc seizes the opportunity to plug his Beats headphones and HP laptop. Watch it below.

Yeah, this is disappointing. The lyrics and subject matter are just tired. The beat is radio-ready mainstream stuff. I'm not saying it's bad...it's just nothing special about the song. This is one of Akon's weakest guest spots too.

For me its not about the song. Its about Dre finally bringing something to backup his promise that someday soon he is gonna release his album. Maybe not the best first single, but it is a beginning.

I like the remix with Snoop and Game a lot better, but this ain't as groundbreaking as "Nothin' But A G Thang" or even "Still D.R.E."

He will do better with the next ones.. In this hard times is always better to start with a party single and then get a lil bit more serious. Eminem didnt, but Eminem has a lot of sales secured no matter what he does..

Musically and lyrically nothing Dr. Dre has done since 2000 has shown me that he could do it on the level as he did it with "The Chronic" album, that song sounds a lot like something 50 Cent would do, he knows that most people who bought "The Chronic" album ain't checking for him anymore so he's going after the teenybopper fanbase....

I mostly agree with all of this. I've said this again and again but I'm gonna say it again. In the mid-90's Dre straight up said gangsta rap was dead. He claimed he was gonna make real Hip-Hop music. But by the time Chronic 2001 came around, that was all dead and gone. We all know Dre is no gangsta. So why did he come out with an album where half the songs were phony" Half of those songs were dope. I'm not gonna lie. But the lyrics on half of those songs just made me roll my eye on some of the lyrics. He's older and he has a family. He's a west coast Hip-Hop legend. Songs like this don't represent that. When u are someone like Dr. Dre, u can make pretty much any kind of music u want and be successful. Look at Kanye. He's huge and he dropped that garbage 808 + Heartbreak album and it did well. I feel that if u are big enough that u don't even need 2 consider selling out or dumbing it down (if fame and money really is your only motivation) then why don't u make quality, timeless music that u can be proud of?!? Many artists do this and it's exactly why the music industry is an embarrassment.