JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Montell Jordan Leaves Music To Focus On Being A Pastor

bigted

Montell Jordan Leaves Music To Focus On Being A Pastor

by Allen Jacobs
The former Def Jam Records star is heading away from music and to focus on his Atlanta church, but not before he performs "This Is How We Do It" a few more times.

Over 15 years ago, Los Angeles, California native Montell Jordan helped Def Jam Records transition from its EPMD and Nice & Smooth years to its DMX and Ja Rule years with the 1995 hit "This Is How We Do It." The Slick Rick-sampling strip club anthem led Jordan to platinum success, and helped cement Jordan as a leading R&B voice for the middle of the decade.

Now 41 years old, the Atlanta-based Jordan has revealed that Mase and Rev Run have previously shown him how to do it.

On Novembeer 24, Jordan revealed that he intends to retire from music this year to focus entirely on being an ordained pastor. In the days since, the former Def Jam star revealed that on December 31, he will perform "This Is How We Do It" for the final time.

Montell Jordan presently serves at the World Victory Church in Norcross, Georgia. His last album, Let It Rain, was released in 2008 and featured beat-boxer/emcee Doug E. Fresh.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Montell Jordan is one of the best to ever do it. His vocals, his style, his production, his lyrics. To me, Montell Jordan was the male Mary J. Blige. He was essentially and emcee who sung...and dropped a rhyme every now and then. I guess since he hasn't had much mainstream success in recent years, he figured it'd be a good time to make this move. I support it but I wish he'd bless the fans with an album every now and then. Even if he just made gospel music, I think he's been given a gift that he should be using. I wish I could catch him perform before he hangs up the mic.

Yeah Montell's one of the real artists out there, it's not gonna be the same without him putting out music, it's sad how people in recent years have paid more attention to booty auto-tune music and ignored the greats....

I don't think that was ever in the cards for Montell. He's often done gospel songs on his albums. He was also in the movie Fighting Temptations with Beyonce and The O'Jays. Don't mix him up with the Lil' Waynes and T.I.'s....lol.

Yeah he always put gospel elements into his music so it's not that far of a stretch that he's working on being a pastor now, that's why I agree he should still record music too 'cause he has a god given gift to sing and music is a big part of his life, I don't see why he has to give that up... If more kids looked up to Montell Jordan than Lil' Wayne I think the world would be a better place....

This article goes a little deeper.

----------------------------------------------

Calling it Quits: Montell Jordan Leaving R&B Music for Ministry

By Jawn Murray on Nov 30th 2010 10:10AM

Singer Montell Jordan is giving up mainstream music to work in music ministry.

Best known for his R&B smash 'This is How We Do It,' the 41-year-old vocalist recently announced he is retiring from R&B to become the Worship Pastor at the World Victory Church in Norcross, Ga.

"It's just been an amazing career. And it has been great," Jordan posted on his Twitter page via @MontellJordan. "But it's a calling that's probably been with me all my life since I was a child. And I've known it. A lot of people in the business know it and have the same calling but that leap of faith is difficult."

The Los Angeles-bred artist, who as a songwriter has penned tunes for Whitney Houston, Sisqo, Deborah Cox and Lil' Mo, also thanked a lot of people for contributing to his career.

"I also would especially like to thank the countless fans I have met throughout the last 17 years all over the world for your support. I additionally would like to thank radio, retail, and the talented musicians, songwriters, producers. ... I want to thank the original Def Jam staff for our many great years and success we shared together," he wrote.

Montell Jordan
Jordan acknowledged that he's had a call to ministry for many years, but surrendering to what he believes is God's will for his life is "a leap" he finally had to take.

"I often have spoken of my Christian belief and faith throughout my R&B career, yet this is my official retirement letter," he explained. "I have completely dedicated my life to the service of Christ Jesus, my Lord and Savior."

Montel with wife KristinIn addition to working as the worship leader at World Victory Church, the singer and his wife, Kristin, will continue to work in the church's marriage ministry, teaching a course called "Making Your Marriage a Masterpiece," which the singer called "gratifying."

Jordan, who starred in the movie 'The Fighting Temptations,' released seven CDs during his career, including 'Let it Rain' on Oct. 21, 2008.

Earlier this year, he released a single called 'Friends, Liars & Haters' that was to be featured on a CD titled 'F.L.H (Friends, Liars & Haters).' It's unlikely that the CD will be released now.

"It is my desire that my life and future music will reflect my Father in heaven and that those who have known me [through] R&B music will now be introduced to a great, loving and wonderful God," he concluded.

It's not only the katholics who have to go to the university and all that. The "normal" protestants have to go to the unviersity too. They both, among many other things, have to study theology. Only if you study that you'll actualy realy know what you are talking about. Everythiny else can get very dangerous, very fast.

Edited by Turntable

I don't know how all that works. All I know is that I don't know of any one who just decides to be a pastor and is one without any schooling and serious dedication. I've seen MC Hammer speak (on TV) and I know he's the real deal. Montell has always shown a serious dedication to his faith. So I can see that being legit to. I've also seen Rev Run speak on TV. But when it comes to Mase, it's hard for me to see that being legit. So much of his music reflected a lifestyle that had NOTHING to do with the church. Plus, after he did that album with Bad Boy where he didn't cuss, he turned right around and went "gangsta" again. I'm not a fan so I haven't heard anything since.

I definitely wouldn't use the word "most." I often flip to TBN and other places I can see "TV preachers" speak. I will agree that some of them are a little crazy but I'll say that just as many of them have the position they have on TV because they are legit. I've gotten a lot of messages that got me through tough times watching some of them. But that's a whole other topic. And I hardly think of us have any room to talk about people who don't know or attend their actual services.