JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

SCARFACE BOYCOTTS HIP-HOP HONORS

Scarface Boycotts VH1's 'Hip Hop Honors'

Hip-hop veterans Uncle Luke and Tony Draper recently voiced their displeasure with this year's VH1 'Hip Hop Honors', which will honor the 'Dirty South.' Both emcees opted out of participation in the annual show, and now Texas rapper Scarface will join them in sitting this one out.

In a heated rant, Scarface vented to Ozone magazine that he would not be attending the show because he felt disrespect for being boxed into such a narrow category. "I was nominated, but I declined to accept because I don't wanna be classified as just 'Dirty South.'"

"I'm Hip Hop man. I'm not going because I feel slighted. Even though it was a nice gesture, I feel like it's just a pacifier. They're like, 'Let's give these n----s down there a pacifier so they can stop feeling left out. We'll make Luke and all these n----s down there look funny,' you know?"

The outspoken emcee made it clear that his beef was not necessarily with the award show itself, but with the way they approached this year's category. He explained that, although he had participated in several previous 'Hip Hop Honors,' VH1's 'Dirty South' theme seemed more of a mockery than an honor. "I went to [Hip Hop Honors] when they honored Def Jam because I wanted to be a part of that. I felt honored that they would even call me to do it. But this year, I totally disagree with how they're trying to categorize us," he said. "You know how they make us look on TV? Like we live on the front porch with flies and s--- flying around us, with our stomachs all big, eating watermelon rings. Don't f----- make a mockery of us because we come from down there and you have no f----- idea what it looks like."

After revisiting the struggle it took to get Southern hip-hop on the map, Scarface said that he just wasn't willing to let the show tarnish everything he and his fellow Southern rappers have worked hard to achieve."For an East Coast-based show to call themselves showing some f----- love by making a Southern watered-down version of what the show is supposed to be or what Hip Hop really is, man, I feel ****ed up about that s---"

VH1's 'Hip Hop Honors' airs June 7, 2010.

Yeah they're getting a lil' too sensitive here, it's not a diss at all in my opinion... It's actually kinda early too that they're having hip hop honors this year since it's usually in October...

I don't know if his reaction is really wrong. Hip-Hop Honors should be about honoring the legends. When I think "dirty south" I think of all the commercial garbage that's been popular (for a short period of time) in the past 7 years or so. Sure, groups like 2 Live Crew, Geto Boys, Arrested Development, OutKast, and Goodie Mob really got things started prior 2 this, but not much of the recently popular crap really honors those who got the ball rolling. I think Scarface is associating it with what most people are gonna associate it with; fly by night crap-rappers like Young Joc, Lil' Scrappy, Hurricane Chris, Slim Thug, etc. There is no reason for VH-1 2 honor a such a disposable and forgettable (and often embarassing) bastard child of Rap music. Honor good artists. That's what worked in the 1st shows (which were amazing). Giving it a theme like "Dirty South" is stupid, limiting, and unworthy of the attention. The Def Jam idea was respectable but even that was a bit limiting and even predictable. I believe that when Scarface says he's Hip-Hop and doesn't want to 2 be labeled "dirty south," it's because of the embarrassing stuff we hear on the radio now.

Yeah you got a point there AJ, as I think about it more it's not really a good idea to categorize it like you said

This is the first I've heard of the Dirty South theme. I can't say I'm looking forward to this year's show at all. Other than Outkast and a select few other southern rappers, I'm not a big fan of what has come from the region. I especially don't want to hear the terrible southern rappers of today try to spit the good verses of yesteryear.

I don't really care about location. I appreciate music for what it is. However, I think that grill-wearing, tattoo-covered, look-as-ugly-as-I-possibly-can, choose the most awfully -processed-music-ever, not-having-subject-matter, speaking on a 2 year old speaking level and acting like a 13 year old stereotype of "dirty south" rap is utter garbage. There is nothing honorable about it. The acts from the past that are from the south in most cases having nothing to do with this modern blemish on rap music. Who really tosses Scarface in the same category as Lil' Wayne? Who tosses Arrested Development in the same category as Young Joc? Who tosses OutKast in the same category as Soulja Boy? VH-1 is making a big mistake here. The formula of the first few shows was awesome. Let's get back 2 that. There's 100's of Hip-Hop artists, emcees, DJ's, dancers, radio-personalities, etc that have yet to be honored. The "dirty south" generation has no business even been considered. This whole phase is already dying down and will be forgotten in 3 to 5 years.

Timbaland to Be Honored at VH1's Hip Hop Honors

* Posted May 18th 2010 4:15PM by Nadeska Alexis

Two-time Grammy winner Timbaland has been added to the list of honorees at the 2010 VH1 Hip Hip Honors. This year's program will honor musicians from the Dirty South, including Jermaine Dupri, Master P and J. Prince.

According to VH1, the Virginia native will be honored as an innovator for his trademark blend of hip-hop, R&B and electronic beats, which have fueled the careers of several artists including Missy Elliott, Aaliyah, Ludacris and Justin Timberlake. More recently Timbaland -- CEO of the Virginia-based label Mosley Music Group -- produced tracks for Jay-Z's hit 'Blueprint 3' album.

The 2010 VH1 Hip Hop Honors will mark the first time that the show has focused on honoring one select region of the country, but the sentiment has not been well-received. Several hip-hop artists including Tony Draper, Uncle Luke and Scarface have excluded themselves from the event, explaining that they feel disrespected for being boxed into categories. "For an East Coast-based show to call themselves showing some f---ing love by making a Southern watered-down version of what the show is supposed to be or what Hip Hop really is, man, I feel f---ed up about that s---," Scarface said, recently.

VH1's Hip Hop Honors airs June 7, 2010.

Yeah you can't deny that Master P is a great businessman and I also admire the fact that he decided to clean up his rap a couple years ago