• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://rap.about.com/od/reviews/fr/BobAdventuresofBobbyRay.htm

Rap.about review of the album

B.o.B. - 'The Adventures of Bobby Ray'
A sound traveler without a map, B.o.B. goes wherever the beat takes him

B.o.B. is an immensely gifted rapper/singer out of Atlanta. His debut, The Adventures of Bobby Ray, combines his strengths as a songwriter, lyricist, and instrumentalist.
B.o.B. Presents The Adventures of Bobby Ray
The Adventures of Bobby Ray is hip-hop for schizophrenics. B.o.B., who produced most of the tracks on the album, draws his inspiration from pop, soul, indie-rock and everything in between.

B.o.B. recalls the soulful hip-hop of Goodie Mob as well the experimental approach of k-os. He envisions a Dirty South more inviting than the typical. The live instrumentation on "Past My Shades" gives you the feeling that the artist has migrated from the speaker to your living room. His charismatic singing powers the catchy "Lovelier Than Thou."

His twist on Vampire Weekend's "The Kids Don't Stand A Chance" is the rare cover that's largely superior to its source material. Where Vampire Weekend's vocals are languorous and dark, B.o.B.'s take has a bounce that sends the song gyrating around the drums. His imagery is brilliant: "We're trapped inside the Matrix / Forced to play our hand / We're filled with so much hatred / The kids don't stand a chance"; His honesty refreshing: "As a kid I never understood what I observed...Always in detention / For the lack of my attention / You can call deficit / Really I just didn't listen."
Sound Traveler

B.o.B.'s debut is an adventure without a map. B.o.B. travels wherever the sound takes him. 11 of the 14 cuts here feature guests, from Lupe Fiasco to Hayley Williams and Janelle Monaé. Fortunately, many of the cameos enhance rather than diminsh the album's quality. "The Kids," for example, benefits from Janelle Monaé's strong vocals. "Airplanes II," which finds Bobby Ray and Eminem envisioning life without music, excels mostly because Eminem doesn't know how to waste a verse.

The album's main flaw is that it doesn't allow enough room for B.o.B. to shine. It's never a good idea to stuff your debut album with reinterpretation of other people's songs, a multitude of guests and two versions of the same song. B.o.B. should've used his debut as a platform to showcase his sound. Instead, it comes across like a mixtape at worst or a mid-career experiment at best. Just B.o.B. and a handful of friends would've sufficed.

Half adventurous, half cautious, B.o.B. never quite puts all his assets together to craft an exceptional album that he's capable of producing.
Standout Tracks

* "The Kids"
* "Lovelier Than Thou"
* "Airplanes II"

Release Date: April 27, 2010

Yeah from I heard on the internet there's some good stuff but it's not like it's the 2nd coming of "Illmatic", you're right it probably won't be a top 5 album by the end of 2010 since the legendary album makers like KRS/Premier, Nas/Damien Marley, LL, Wyclef, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill, and Naughty By Nature are all gonna have albums out in 2010 but it may be at top 5 album at this time since there's not much albums are out at this point, there's a lot of good mixtapes I heard but not much albums in 2010 yet, the veterans I mentioned need to come out and show these new rappers how to make albums, hopefully "The Magnificent 3" and a JJFP album come out soon enough as well

Edited by bigted

Lol, I love it that you are bringing optimism to the conversation Bigted. Kanye also promised to release his best album yet, probably going back to his roots.. Eminem is releasing, and we still dont know how good can this Drake album be. So its early to predict what would be the top albums this year.

If Kanye brings back to the form of when he originally came out then it should be interesting, Drake's one of the most overrated newer rappers I don't see what's all the hype's about with him, and we already know what I think about Eminem, lol... TI also is comparing his new album to Pac's "All Eyez On Me" which I think is setting up for a downfall 'cause don't get me wrong he's aight for a radio rapper but he's nowhere near Pac's level...Hi-Tek and Talib Kweli are supposed to be working on a new album, they put out a hot mixtape earlier in the year...The one album I'm really looking forward to is Rhymefest's "El Che" which comes out on my mama's b-day May 18th...

• 2 weeks later...

B.O.B.'s album sold only 85K in the first week despite all the hype, it just shows you people don't buy music these days no matter how good it is which is sad

I'm gonna give a review from this album real soon, I think if we start giving reviews here like we used to this would give this forum more life

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/thatsreallyweek/80723/may-3-9-bob-whos-the-guy-with-the-1-album-in-the-country/

an article from yahoo.com

That's a good article there, B.O.B. is a cool dude