JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

KRS-ONE BOYCOTTS NATIONAL HIP-HOP MUSEUM

KRS-One Leads Boycott Against National Hip-Hop Museum

KRS-OneAlways one to battle, KRS-One took to the podium at an April 8 launch event for the National Museum of Hip-Hop in the Bronx and shocked audiences with a message to boycott the museum because it did not pay proper respect to hip-hop's forefathers.

"The reason that it's not going to happen is because Afrika Bambaataa has said this event is illegitimate and should not happen," said an angry KRS-One. "None of the pioneers are in support of this event. None of them will be here tonight. I am here on behalf of the temple of hip-hop as an observer. We are observing."

KRS-One was apparently included in the initial planning and organization stages of the museum, but has spoken out against recent changes in direction. He claims that him and Bambaataa have been working on an accurate, celebratory museum for over two decades, but the people in charge didn't respect hip-hop history enough.

"In closing, what you are getting, actually, is a real dose of hip-hop's culture," he continued. "Here is what we are dealing with, ladies and gentleman. We have been trying to start a hip-hop museum for over 20 years. In fact, it was Afrika Bambaataa that came up with the idea. However, most of the people who have been behind the hip-hop museum idea seem to always create groups without addressing the pioneers themselves."

Watch KRS-One's tirade below.

KRS' passion for hip hop stays strong, that's for sure

KRS should pull that stick out of his a##. Dude is acting like he's the one deciding about whats wrong and right in hip hop like some kind of Hip Hop judge. Go and get a life man, i can't stand that attitude anymore. how pessimistic and obsessed can you get? i never heard some positive things from KRS about anything. He is so negative and there's absolutely nothing inspiring and valuable in what he's talking about.

"proper respect" lol and after 20 years of hard work to found a Hiphop museum, he wants to have it boycotted. go and have a ****, instead people should boycott his shows...

As much as I respect KRS as an mc I do agree with some of what DefCem's saying, he needs to stop running his mouth so damn much in acting like he owns hip hop and that his opinion is the only one that matters

I've got similar issues with KRS. He is an excellent MC, but I can't roll with him on a lot of the things he says off wax. I also think he often contradicts himself. For example, when he appeared with 50 Cent on BET and said that they were doing the same thing. Ridiculous.

However, I would like to hear more about this issue. Are they just nitpicking or is a hip hop museum really neglecting the history of hip hop?