JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

VH1's Hip-Hop Honors Returns, Salutes Def Jam

bigted

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.9739/title.vh1-s-hip-hop-honors-returns-salutes-def-jam

VH1's Hip Hop Honors Returns, Salutes Def Jam

September 2nd, 2009 | Author: Andres Tardio

Every year, VH1 takes some time to give praise to pioneering Rap acts for Hip Hop Honors, a program that has already paid tribute to acts like LL Cool J, Run DMC and Slick Rick. For this year's show, Hip Hop Honors will not be celebrating any one person's career and instead, it will be honoring the historic Rap record label Def Jam.

Eminem, Mary J. Blige, DMX, Kid Rock, The Roots and others will be on hand as performers set to pay tribute to Def Jam's legendary roster. That roster included previous honorees LL Cool, Run DMC, Slick Rick and Public Enemy among others.

Executive Vice President of Music Production Lee Rolontz recently spoke on why they chose to honor a whole label in a brief statement on VH1.com [click here].

“It is impossible to pay tribute to the best in hip hop without recognizing Def Jam Records. Throughout the years VH1 has honored numerous artists from the Def Jam label, but due to the magnificent impact that Def Jam as a company has made on not only Hip Hop culture but pop culture as a whole, we thought they definitely deserved the opportunity to be honored," she said.

The show will take place at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in New York. It will air on the network on Tuesday, October 13 on VH1.

Hip Hop Honors has been an annual tradition on VH1 since 2004. The show has paid tribute to DJ Hollywood, Kool Herc, Rock Steady Crew, Big Daddy Kane, MC Lyte, Rakim and many others.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff at the Hip Hop honors...Look at the celebrity line-up...it speaks for the importance of this label!

http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/rumors/archive/2009/09/24/21951736.aspx

By illseed

The VH1 Hip-Hop Honors went off without a hitch. And, you know the stars were in the house for an evening to honor and celebrate the legacy of Def Jam Records. All of the former and present brass were there. Likewise, the past and current artists were in attendance as well.

Below are some images that captured the mood of the moment

KRS One says Def Jam destroyed hip hop:

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=58416

I love KRS-One but i don't know if i agree with that. Back in the day...leading up to the 2000's many artists could shine at the same time and they certainly weren't all on Def Jam. Commerically it's gotten very limited in recent years. There's usually only 5 artists at the same time shining on the charts. And usually they are all wack. I don't think that can be pinned on the label. The real Def Jam or the label currently called Def Jam. :-P

Yeah KRS might've took it a bit too far there but I could understand where he's coming from, I don't think Def Jam deserved a whole show dedicated to them