JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Dallas Mavericks' Josh Howard Disrespects National Anthem

Trey

Dallas Mavericks' Josh Howard disrespects national anthem

Josh Howard's decision-making has again come into question after he was filmed disrespecting the national anthem.

And the Mavericks are taking steps to help Howard and their other players avoid controversy in the future.

In a video posted on YouTube, the swingman is shown at Allen Iverson's charity flag football game in July. When the national anthem is being sung, various participants are shown mugging for the camera. When the camera gets to Howard, he says: " 'The Star-Spangled Banner' is going on. I don't celebrate this [expletive]. I'm black."

Howard goes on to make a difficult-to-discern comment that includes a reference to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

The video comes on the heels of his July arrest for a late-night street race in North Carolina and last season's admission that he is an occasional marijuana user. He also had a birthday bash for himself after the Mavericks lost Game 4 of their playoff series against New Orleans, even though coach Avery Johnson had asked the players to keep extracurricular activities to a minimum during the playoffs.

Owner Mark Cuban said the Mavericks dealt with Howard's flag football episode after it happened in July.

"That said, we will be going through some advanced communication-skill sessions together this training camp," Cuban said Tuesday. "I have explained to him that cellphone cameras are not your friend and that what you think you said on camera is never what people will hear when it shows up on YouTube or TV.

"There is only one universal response that works: 'Both teams played hard.' "

This is not the first time Howard has been cast in an un-American light. He rejected an offer to join the U.S. Olympic team when he said the initial training camp in 2006 conflicted with his summer camps.

Howard's agent, Mark Schwartz, did not return phone messages.

The Mavericks received numerous off-season trade offers for Howard, but almost all were from teams who presumed a low-ball offer might prompt a deal. Team officials have said repeatedly they're not interested in trading Howard.

"Josh really is a good guy with a great heart," Cuban said. "He just doesn't do a good job of showing that side of himself publicly. We will work on that."

SOURCE!

Video

If you are going to not sing, stand up or give some type of reverence to the national anthem then you better have a real good reason to do it. This video just shows how much of a clown Josh Howard is. I respected Mahmoud Abdul Raouf(former Denver Nuggets player) for not doing because of his religion. I respected the female college basketball player a few years ago because of her stance against America's policies. But to do it for the reason this idiot Howard gave is just plain stupid.

It is America and he has the right to do it but by the same token this is America and I have the right to call him a clown & an idiot. This dude has made millions playing basketball. I would like to know what "hardships" he's had since making it to the NBA. He's a clown, period.

If you are going to not sing, stand up or give some type of reverence to the national anthem then you better have a real good reason to do it. This video just shows how much of a clown Josh Howard is. I respected Mahmoud Abdul Raouf(former Denver Nuggets player) for not doing because of his religion. I respected the female college basketball player a few years ago because of her stance against America's policies. But to do it for the reason this idiot Howard gave is just plain stupid.

It is America and he has the right to do it but by the same token this is America and I have the right to call him a clown & an idiot. This dude has made millions playing basketball. I would like to know what "hardships" he's had since making it to the NBA. He's a clown, period.

My thoughts exactly man, Josh Howard looking like a punk

I don't follow sports, but this guy sounds like a loser (the original word i just typed was a bit distasteful...ha ha). I hate when people use "freedom of speech" as a ticket 2 be stupid and disrespectful. And i don't know how any black people feel about is comment, but i would be embarassed for him. We're all just people...but when u say things like that, u label yourself.

interesting this is the first time that i've heard of this. wow! I'm a big mavericks fan and this is surprising! Howard is one of the most versatile players in the game today, but he just can't seem to evade the hot water!!! LOL

I hope he does well this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Howard apologizes for negative comments, incidents off court

DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks forward Josh Howard took a first step toward repairing his damaged reputation Monday, saying he was sorry for disrespecting the national anthem.

"I'd like to say that I'm truly and really am sorry for everything that's happened in the last five months," Howard said in a statement before taking questions from reporters on the first day of Mavericks training camp. "This is not the way I carry myself, not how I want to be portrayed. I'm sorry to everybody I've offended. I'm upset with myself and the way I've acted."

In a video posted recently on YouTube, Howard was shown at a charity flag football game. As the national anthem plays in the background, Howard approaches a camera and says: "'The Star Spangled Banner' is going on right now. I don't even celebrate that [expletive]. I'm black."

The video, which was widely viewed on the Internet, prompted blistering criticisms, including some racially charged e-mails that owner Mark Cuban posted on his blog.

In his first public appearance since the video was posted, Howard said he loves his country.

"It was me joking around," he said. "Guys were out there making fun and I decided to get along in it. I wasn't using my head. I guess the valuable lesson I did learn is that words really do hurt. You're held accountable for what you say.

"That's not me. ... I went to military school. I have friends that served in the military. I know how it is to wake up and salute the flag. The national anthem every game, I have my hand over my heart."

Howard had another off-court incident during the off-season when he was arrested in July after police said he was drag racing at 94 mph in a 55 mph zone.

He said he knows that there will be some fan backlash about his troubled summer.

"I'll try to win them back," he said. "Whatever it takes me to do that, I'll do it."

Howard also was criticized last season for saying in a radio interview during a first-round playoff series against New Orleans that he occasionally smokes marijuana. Later that same series, he angered coach Avery Johnson by throwing himself a birthday party after a Game 4 loss to the Hornets.

"It was a rough summer for him, but I believe in his heart he's a good guy," teammate Dirk Nowitzki said. "He just made some bad decisions."

Howard said another mistake he made was not addressing the national anthem controversy when it first surfaced.

"I didn't do anything to correct it. I let a lot of stuff go," he said. "It wasn't me. I'm trying to move forward. This [the press conference] is the perfect opportunity. Everybody's here. There's nothing to hide. I made a mistake. I'm ready to move forward."

Rick Carlisle, who was hired as Mavericks coach after Johnson was fired following Dallas' first-round playoff exit, visited Howard at his North Carolina home during the summer. Carlisle expects a strong season from Howard.

"I know he's going to be motivated both on the floor and in terms of how he represents this franchise," Carlisle said.

Howard, who enters his sixth NBA season, averaged 19.9 points and seven rebounds last season.

SOURCE!