JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Busta Rhymes To Be Dropped By Interscope

bigted

Busta Rhymes The Next To Go In Interscope Housecleaning?

July 7th, 2008 | Author: Allen JacobsAccording to inside label sources at ThisIs50.com, Busta Rhymes is the next artist to be dropped from Interscope Records. The announcement comes less than a week after Shady Records artist Obie Trice was released from his contract [click to read], and in the same year Joell Ortiz severed ties with Aftermath Records [click to read].

Per the reports, the veteran rapper and Flipmode Squad leader had a conflict with Interscope President Jimmy Iovine that ended with the two parting ways. Busta Rhymes had been working on his second Aftermath/Interscope album, Blessed. A number of songs from that album have already surfaced on the Internet, including "Don't Touch Me (Remix)" [click to listen] featuring an all-star list of emcees new and old.

Since signing with the label in 2005 after a tenure at J Records after starting his successful career with Elektra Records, Busta Rhymes released The Big Bang [click to read].

After appearing on Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III, Busta Rhymes also has confirmed appearances on Nas' Untitled album and The Game's L.A.X., making him the only artist to appear on what many are billing, the three biggest rap albums of 2008.

Interscope and Busta Rhymes have yet to confirm these reports. HipHopDX will keep you posted.

Edited by bigted

Another reason for artists to dodge record labels and release albums independently. Busta's career consists of 5 platinum(his first 4 albums went platinum) and 2 gold albums. He is one of the most underrated emcees in the game. I think he is back on track after some run-ins with the law in the last year or two.

I really like his single, Don't Touch Me.

I don't understand why anyone would sign a contract with a major label anymore. With YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, ITunes, Rhapsody and other internet outlets any artist can get their music out there.

For music in general, and hip-hop in particular, to be saved, THE MUSIC INDUSTRY MUST DIE!!!!

Busta Rhymes will do well wherever he goes. Becuz he's a true Hip-Hop staple who can still get legit commerical success; i think that's why he's signing 2 big labels. Think about it, there aren't any Hip-Hop superstars like their used 2 be in the 80's and 90's. The main reason is cuz most of the commercial Rap that gets play is rubbish. But if there was going to be a true Hip-Hop superstar, they would most likely be signed 2 a big label. I'm not saying i agree with the politics. I'm just saying that that's what could be his reasoning behind it.

Busta Rhymes Confirms Album Will Be On Aftermath

July 14th, 2008 | Author: Jake PaineAfter speculation last week that Busta Rhymes had severed ties with Interscope Records, or vice versa [click to read], it has been confirmed today that the veteran rapper and Flipmode Squad leader will indeed drop his Blessed album on Aftermath Records, Dr. Dre's imprint at Interscope.

"I want everybody to know that the new Busta Rhymes album is coming through blazing the streets crazy. It's the most incredible album in Hip Hop. Stay tuned – it will be out late September on Aftermath, all day, every day," Busta Rhymes told Chris Faraone of The Boston Herald this afternoon, who shared the information with HipHopDX.

The album is said to feature Lil Wayne [click to read], Pharrell and Ludacris [click to read].

Other than the Lil' Wayne collabo...i say "bring it on." The album title seems like it's leading us 2 believe that this album is a bit more mature and that Busta is a bit more humble. However, being on Aftermath could also be a bad thing.