JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why do people dislike I, Robot?

MaxFly

Max, you asked and I answered. Nothing I say will change your opinion. I think Will shouldn't have made that movie. It was supposed to be a serious movie and it was just a movie with some action and a lot of special effects. But hey, like I said, it's my opinion.

Ale, you gave a generalized answer. The problem is that it's the same thing I hear from people who don't like the movie. Basically, you haven't told me anything new. What I'm looking for is details... specific things that have lead people to dislike the movie. What were the plot holes, for instance.

I don't so much care about changing your mind or you changing mine. I'm concerned with figuring out what, specifically, people don't like about it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There was no Del Spooner in the "I, Robot" stories so how could you have had expectations towards the character?

I loved I, Robot but I do agree that there was too much of Big Willy in that movie. I'm not saying he was bad (that scene when he's describing the accident - really moved the s**t out of me) but it would have been better if he was a bit grittier. I thought that the script was really good. The story really believable, the characters and their motives very well put together (except for Farber - one of the must useless characters ever)

It was one of the few summer blockbusters where the action sequences served the story unlike most where the story serves the action sequences ("Bad Boys 2" for example).

There was no Del Spooner in the "I, Robot" stories so how could you have had expectations towards the character?

I'm talking about Will's character. I thought it would be a more serious performance. He disappointed me, that's all.

Edited by Ale

Hey Ale, I'm still kind of curious about the plot holes, where did you see problems?

I wouldn't say I disliked I, Robot, but for me, it just didn't grab me like his other movies. I'm not sure why, but I don't think the story moved enough for me, it seemed kind of flat.

• Members

Well, I still don't understand where were the other cars when the two transporters attacked Del on the road, for example. Or why don't the two big trucks just smash him like a sandwich, instead of using robots.

It was late at night so however unlikely it is not as bothering that there were no other cars in the tunnel. The trucks couldn't smash the car because they were machines who were operating on the old system, 3 laws safe. They could not have been used to harm a person, but the new robots had the uplink override which made it possible for them to try and kill Spooner.

Like I said, I agree that I thought he would be a more serious character but the fact that he wasn't didn't disappoint me because he was still good. Kinda this cocky, sarcastic old-school type detective.

This is a conversation I had with my friend about the movie!

Duane Tarique

12:06am Dec 27th

I saw I Am Legend this morning, don't hate me but I thought that was one of the worst Blockbusters I have ever seen in my life... easily one of Smith's worst... the decline begins - his performance was pretty much onpoint though...

Ewan Alman

1:07pm Dec 27th

ha ha!! How did I know you was was gonna say something like that! I thought it was great! My only qualm was that the ending felt a bit too rushed. I think it was a great thriller and definately not one of his worst (WWW, Legend of Bagger Vance, MIB2). It easily beats all of them.

What didn't you like about it?

Duane Tarique

9:05pm Dec 27th

You know what... there were more things about the film that I liked in comparison to what I didn't, but the things I didn't like, I really didn't like... I felt the scriptwriter failed to demonstrate anything really that interesting and the structure was annoyingly poor.

The director showed some skill in the action sequences but whenever there was nothing going - which was most of the film - he fails to present anything visually exciting.

The first forty minutes of the film dragged, I'm guessing the writer was trying to show the connection between Neville and Sam which would help evoke an emotional response from the audience when Neville has to kill her.

In addition, the scriptwriter or producer chose poor locations and I felt the arena of New York and Neville's character wasn't explored. For example, in Neville's house he has Van Gogh originals hanging on his wall - he's stolen them from the NYC Gallery - why are we not told this in the film, instead we are bored by him goofing around in a DVD shop... surely the New York library would have been a more interesting location for its architecture alone.... and he is looking for a cure after all, I don't think the answer to the infection is in Shrek...

The scene where he goes into an abandoned house looking for tins of food was pointless... me personally, I would've broke into a supermarket... loads of tin food there.... And don't let me get started on the infected... Jeez... and then when the film finally begins, Neville picks up a picture of his wife and child that coincidently happens to be in a draw in the "Quarintined" area... then picks up a Grenade that just so happened to also be there....and blows him self up...

I'm going to try and watch it again, online or something... I was really expecting something that was more like Children of Men so I may not have been in the right frame of mind... nevertheless, it was easily Smith's worst.... Yes, worse than WWW, worse than Legend of Bagger Vance.... Utter ****...

Ewan Alman

12:32pm Dec 28th

I see your points on a few of those! but to call it 'utter ****' and easily his worse! i don't think so!

The first hour of the film was exploring his sense of being alone for 3 years and him adapting to it . Hence the hunting etc (it wasn't solely to show the connection between him and his dog). He's already established himself and got into a routine so we don't need to see him stealing anything from the NYC Gallery

And why wouldn't a grnade be in his lab/quarantine area! He's obviously amoured up (guns in cupboard, guns in most draws around the house, perimeter lined with bombs). Why leave out the place where he spends most of his time in research? And he's made the decision to bring the Dark Seekers into his lab so he needs some sort of protection.

What you've stated you don't like about the film is:

* First 40 mins dragged

* We should have seen him stealing stuff in diff locations

* We shouldn't have seen him stealing food from that house

* He had a grenade in his lab

And that makes this the worse Will Smith film ever? Even tho it broke all sorts of records? Even tho it has been classified in the top 10 movies across FOUR different genres after its first day of release (including Vampire, Sci-Fi/Horror and Sci-Fi/Remake), Even tho it ranks number 17 of the all time opening day list making it his biggest grossing movie of his career.

Hmmmmmmm. Something doesn't quite add up here!

Duane Tarique

3:43pm Dec 28th

Everything adds up perfectly...

Of course that makes the worse Will Smith movie, on par with MIB2... I'd prefer to watch WWW..

The success at the box office just indicates people going to see the film in the first week, not the quality of the film... it purely shows the strength of the promotion and the Pull Power of Smith (this is why he is one of the most powerful men in Hollywood)... The Matrix Reloaded grossed almost 800 million because of the hype... The Matrix Revoloutions didn't even do half that because the hype was lost by the crap previous movie... Wild Wild West had a successful opening at the box office.... but no one ain't asking for that at their local Blockbusters, it's gonna be the same with this bag of crap....

*First 40 mins dragged

Hell yes, what we established in the first forty minutes of the film could've easily been displayed within 15 mins... the audience is not stupid, we know he is alone...

Why does it have to be three years later gives him nothing to do... better yet, why would we not return to the museum or a grand Library to do research, surely this would display a sense of emptiness better than a DVD shop... which would probably be empty anyway....

*We should have seen him stealing stuff in diff locations

Hell yes, a supermarket... the mayor's house... we should have seen him in far more interesting locations than an old DVD shop and an abandoned house, I'm not watching X Files... this is a blockbuster cinematic film... the scene inside the abandoned house was way to long especially if we are going to couple that with the boring DVD shop... these scenes needed to be far more punchy - I don't mean faster - the pace was way too slow... again, the forty mins should've been cut in half... a lot of the stuff we saw we didn't need to see....

*He had a grenade in his lab

No, He had a grenade in the quarantined area... the area where one would seal off the infected in order for them to recover, an isolation area... a single grenade, next to a single photograph... did he think one of the infected may want something to look at while Strapped to the table....? Okay, even if Neville was in the quarantined area working on the infected human and got attacked, why a grenade opposed to a gun with some ammo... was he always planning on blowing himself up.... he's immune, even if he got bitten he wouldn't have to kill himself.... Grenades are things that you throw... where would he be throwing it to in that tiny-ass lab even if the glass doors were open... The grenade was there for one reason only, because the screenwriter had no idea how to kill Neville...

Come on now, I have never been as disapointed with a Smith movie as much as I have been with this.... I say again "Utter ****", the more I talk about it, the more I hate it.... Poor script... poor director....

Duane Tarique

4:03pm Dec 28th

I may be wrong, but I doubt it ... I'll watch it again....

Ewan Alman

5:59pm Dec 28th

You are wrong!!

Of course he's wrong! 'The Legend of Bagger Vance' is not a bad movie!!! :lolsign:

Well, there are some mistakes in IAL (I'm not gonna deny that) , but he can't say it's one of his worst movies, because that's not true. Will's performance was awesome.

Edited by Ale

lol the plotholes argument is rediculous most of the time.

i mean we never see Will shave his head, thats completely not believable, i mean he has really short hair and we never actually see him cut it, how is that possible? i think there should have been at least one scene were we see Will shave his head.

Come on now people its a movie, yeah sometime movies do silly things and there are genuine plotholes that are important, but the majority of things people say is just stupid, if everything was completely realistic movies would be boring.

Well, I still don't understand where were the other cars when the two transporters attacked Del on the road, for example. Or why don't the two big trucks just smash him like a sandwich, instead of using robots.

It was late at night so however unlikely it is not as bothering that there were no other cars in the tunnel. The trucks couldn't smash the car because they were machines who were operating on the old system, 3 laws safe. They could not have been used to harm a person, but the new robots had the uplink override which made it possible for them to try and kill Spooner.

I actually saw it a different way. I don't think it would be smart to crash and risk the destruction of two USR trucks and hundreds of robots simply to crush one car. If you watch again, only one robot was deployed to kill Will. It was only after Will destroyed the first robot that others deployed to attack him. The trucks were used to box Will's car in while the robots attacked him so that he could not maneuver. My guess is that Vici anticipated that it would only take one or two to kill him.

As for why there was no one else on the road... it was late. Vici also designed and controlled much of Chicago's security systems. She may very well have rerouted traffic so that there would be no witnesses.

Come on now people its a movie, yeah sometime movies do silly things and there are genuine plotholes that are important, but the majority of things people say is just stupid, if everything was completely realistic movies would be boring.

Wooord...completely agree. Movies are supposed to be entertaining, and every little detail doesn't need to analyzed IMO. I personally enjoyed I Robot. To each his own.

Wooord...completely agree. Movies are supposed to be entertaining, and every little detail doesn't need to analyzed IMO. I personally enjoyed I Robot. To each his own.

Man, this thread went no where... Does anyone know someone who doesn't like I, Robot for specific reasons and would be willing to provide those reasons. Really, I've just been hearing lately how it's a horrible movie, but it seems no one can give specifics... it's always generalizations... "I didn't like the script." "Well what didn't you like about the script?" "I just wasn't feeling it." "Well, what about it weren't you feeling?" "Man, I just didn't like it."

It almost seems as if no one can verbalize why it was a bad movie... they just know that it's bad.

It's not about convincing anyone it was bad. It's about someone who doesn't like the movie being able to give valid specifics to back up their opinion. For whatever reason, you haven't really done that yet. And the few that you did state we're easily explainable and to me, can't be considered as plot holes, because they just took some understanding.

And as for this: "just forget we are talking about WS and judge it objectively!"

If that was the case, then surely I'd like everything Will has done, which is far from the truth!

Edited by Big Willie