JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NEW QUEEN LATIFAH

AOL's First Listen is featuring 2 new Queen Latifah trax. I thought her last album, 1998's "Order In The Court," had it's "Born To Reign" moments where she experimented with some different things...but these 2 trax take the cake. When she said she wazn't rapping on her next album...she actually meant NO HIP-HOP. There's not a dash of Hip-Hop on the trax i heard.

Here's what AOL had 2 say...
"For today only, AOL is hosting the WORLD premiere of two new songs from Queen Latifah. The actor/spokeswoman/singer is dipping into music's roots for covers of 'California Dreamin'' and 'Baby Get Lost' from her Sept. album, her first since 1998. "

The 1st song is "California Dreamin.'" It's this acoustic pop soul song. I guess India Arie is the closet thing u could compare 2 the sound....except India Arie's music is really really good. Latifah's voice is beautiful and the song isn't bad...but it's just not right.

The 2nd track is "Baby Get Lost"...this is the track that killed me. This sounded like something that belonged on the Chicago soundtrack. Totally like 30's sounding stuff. WHY WHY WHY!!!!

Since i love Latifah, i just may get this album in September, but i'll probably be crying. I just don't see how u can make a song as fly as the one on the Bringing Down The House soundtrack, and then do a gritty Flava Unit album, guest spot on Naughty By Nature's 2002 album and then go this far from your roots.

AOL had this picture of her lookin' all glamorous with long straight hair, siphisticated suit showing cleavage, holding a silver microphone and a backdrop that looked like an 80's music video.

I guess we can at least look forward 2 her movie Taxi. Sure, it also features the incredibly untalented and unfunny Jimmy Fallen, but Latifah is hilarious in it and she plays a character much like herself.

AOL's polls for the songs said that 57% of the people "Loved them," 32 percent "liked them," and 11% "hated them." Then i checked the AOL message board on them and most people were saying they were "HOT" but people peeping out AOL's 1st listen aren't exactly Hip-Hop central on the web. There were a few people asking why she would do this.

Da 'Prince and tha Queen need 2 stop proving their are born 2 reign and just rock the freakin' mic!! :roll: Hopefully FP dosen't try 2 get on her album singing...Jazzy Jeff on the acoustic guitar...

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Aug 24 2004, 11:14 PM]Da 'Prince and tha Queen need 2 stop proving their are born 2 reign and just rock the freakin' mic!! :roll: Hopefully FP dosen't try 2 get on her album singing...Jazzy Jeff on the acoustic guitar...[/quote]
That's what ive been sayin lately...Latifah doesn't even have as close as much material like JJFP does....she needs to kick another "Black Reign"....CLASSIC!

thanks for the news tho...im startin to think Latifahs a sellout tho...come on..you went from the classic "Latifahs had it up to here" to a Covergirl makeup spokesperson and a big actress....eh...yet only 4 albums over your career and lil tracks here and there..horrible..

at least i got my Black Reign tho..

I don't mind her doing Cover Girl and Pizza Hut commercials. I love seeing her on movie screens...but i want some Hip-Hop from her. R-N-B would even be fine, but these trax just aren't doing it 4 me. I would never call her a sell out cuz she's doin' what she wants 2 do. It's not about pleasing us as fans, it's about pleasing herself as an artist. Hip-Hop is the best way 2 express yourself so 2 me, these new songs are stictly entertainment and not really her expressing herself. I don't think we've heard the last verse she'll spit, but it looks like it'll be awhile til we hear it. Hopefully she's rip something real raw on the Taxi soundtrack.

• Admin
Latifah turns crooner on new album

By Elysa Gardner
Gannett News Service

She's been a hip-hop icon, an entrepreneur and an Oscar-nominated actress. Now Queen Latifah is trying on a new hat: traditional crooner.

On Sept. 28, Latifah will release her first CD featuring all sung vocals. "The Dana Owens Album," which reintroduces the 34-year-old Jersey girl by her given name, includes pop, jazz and R&B classics such as "Lush Life," "I Put a Spell on You," "Hard Times" and "Hello Stranger." AOL First Listen premiered two additional tracks Tuesday: "California Dreamin'," made famous by the Mamas and the Papas, and "Baby Get Lost," previously a hit for Dinah Washington.

"I've always loved to sing, and I've always wanted to do an album like this," Latifah says. "Even on my rap albums, you can hear the influence of jazz and big band and reggae and all forms of music, though I could only sing on the hooks."

It was Latifah's movie career rather than any specific musical projects that led to "Owens." "I got a lot of requests after "Livin' Out Loud,'"' she says, referring to the 1998 film in which she played a lounge singer. Then came "Chicago," in which Latifah got more praise for an even flashier singing role, Mama Morton.

The born-again singer is set to appear on "The Today Show" and says she would eventually like to tour "if the album is successful." In the meantime, Latifah has her plate full with a medley of movie outings. On Sept. 3, her production company Flava Unit will unveil its first feature, "Cookout."

"It's the story of an athlete who graduates college and goes into professional basketball, and how everything changes in his life. It culminates at this big barbecue, or cookout, as we call them. I have a cameo as this crazy security guard."

Latifah will show up more prominently in "Taxi," a "big old hysterical action comedy" with Jimmy Fallon, due later this fall, and "Beauty Shop," a spinoff of the "Barbershop" films due April 1, co-starring Alfre Woodard and Kevin Bacon.

Another part that remains dear to Latifah is that of role model for plus-sized women, even after her recent breast-reduction surgery. "It wasn't really something I wanted to do, but it was something I needed to do," she says of the procedure. "You can't help but miss something that was a part of your body for your whole life, to some degree. But I must say, it feels a lot better now. My back doesn't hurt, and my shoulders don't have dents in them from my bra."

Thus unencumbered, Latifah plans to continue multitasking with more relish than ever. "There are a few more hats I would like to wear. Real-estate mogul would be nice, and eventually mother. Gotta wear that mama hat -- a couple of times, hopefully. I better get a move on."

I've considered her one of the best female m.c's of all time, she came in the game with an aggressive rap style and introduced Naughty By Nature to the hip-hop game, and she has done so much to bring a positive influence to the game, unlike Lil' Kim who only shows off her body and doesn't work on her flow as much as she should, but I never pictured Queen Latifah doing an album with all singing and no rapping, she actually started singing and rapping on her albums before Lauyrn Hill did! Why isn't she doing any origial material on this album?!! :dunno: The hip-hop game needs Queen Latifah to start spitting to set these hoe female rappers straight! :werd:

I kinda count this album the way i would count a soundtrack that FP would do 4 a movie. It would still be his music...but i wouldn't throw it in the same category as his regular albums. "California Dreamin'" waz really good even tho' it wazn't what i wanted, but when i heard "Baby Get Lost" i waz just unhappy. I don't know if i want this album to be successful cuz i want her 2 get hugry and do a Hip-Hop album SOON.

No Hip-Hop? Not what I waz hoping 2 hear...I'm actually getting sick of her movies, it seems like she's gotten 2 a point where quality over quantity isn't important. We know she can rap, she knows she can rap, I really hope she makes another album after this one and goes back 2 straight Hip-Hop...it doesn't bug me if she mixes it up a bit and adds in some Jazz and all that, but I'm sure she can pull off another Black Reign type album if she wanted 2.

[b]Queen Latifah to star in new Muppets film[/b]

Quentin Tarantino, Ashanti and Queen Latifah are all set to appear in the latest Muppets movie.

The Muppets' Wizard of Oz will air on US television, and follows Dorothy Gale (Ashanti), who works in a diner owned by her Aunt Em (Queen Latifah).

One day, a tornado sweeps her up, and she finds herself in the Muppet Oz, where she meets the Scarecrow (Kermit the Frog), the Tin Man (Gonzo) and the Lion (Fozzie). Eventually, they end up in a battle against the Wicked Witch (Miss Piggy).

Kirk R. Thatcher, director of the Very Muppet Christmas Movie will be on board again.

"she'll only do a tour if the album is succesful"...

what the hell, you tour to PROMOTE the album, you dont sit around and wait to see what it does, not how it works, you gotta go on tour to cities infront of live crowds and give them music to hear.... :werd:

im not liking Latifah at the moment....im really not...thank God FP isn't like her....stop proving you're born to reign and prove it by rippin' the mic. :bang: