JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Gospelflava.com reviews Will's "Ms. Holy Roller"

Ms.Holy Roller is one of the most underrated Will Smith tracks, I think conceptually it ranks at par with "the rain" which is easily one of his best solo tracks...It's a message that countless people need to hear!

My cousin was going through my i pod a couple of years ago, he wasn't even familiar with much hip hop and he loved it!

Both are very good reviews.

I do think that the second missed the mark a little though... I don't think that Will has been, or is being lifted up as a beacon of Christian virtue, nor do I think that he was really making attempts to put himself on that pedestal in "Ms. Holly Roller." His references to his dealings in Christianity are meant to serve as a sharp contrast to "Ms. Holly Roller's" previous lifestyle, and thereby, point out the absurdity of her dogmatic behaviour.

It's like you're back in high school, and for your entire high school career, you've been a solid B student, and a friend of yours has been a D student. Suddenly, halfway through senior year, your friend realizes how much he or she has wasted their time in school, suddenly becomes fervent in their studies, and becomes an A student... They then proceed to tell you that you need to study harder and that you aren't performing well... and even worse, in a condescending manner.

Ephisians 2 says: "For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

To that extent, the author of the second review is right. Works are secondary when it comes to salvation in Christianity... The ironic thing is that this is what Will seems to be pointing out. The person he's referring to has been doing dirt her entire life, but now seems to boast in their righteous living and her beliefs. It would do her well to remember that she is saved by grace because of faith, and not through her works. A certain level of humility needs to be exhibited on the part of Christians. Our witness can either bring people closer to God or push people further away.

Ephisians 2 says: "For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

To that extent, the author of the second review is right. Works are secondary when it comes to salvation in Christianity... The ironic thing is that this is what Will seems to be pointing out. The person he's referring to has been doing dirt her entire life, but now seems to boast in their righteous living and her beliefs. It would do her well to remember that she is saved by grace because of faith, and not through her works. A certain level of humility needs to be exhibited on the part of Christians. Our witness can either bring people closer to God or push people further away.

Max, you're spitting that hot fire and truth right there. It's about humility. It's about remembering the person you used to be and being thankful for becoming a new creature in God. It's about being a beacon of light to others instead of always putting people down. People are supposed to see the Christ in you without you even acknowledging it. It's all about living your life with humility.

Max you were on point with that whole post, son!

Max, you're spitting that hot fire and truth right there. It's about humility. It's about remembering the person you used to be and being thankful for becoming a new creature in God. It's about being a beacon of light to others instead of always putting people down. People are supposed to see the Christ in you without you even acknowledging it. It's all about living your life with humility.

Max you were on point with that whole post, son!

Thanks for the love TopDawg. You hit it right on the head. It's about the humility that comes with the thankfulness for salvation. Like you said, people are supposed to be able to see Christ in you without you even having to speak about your beliefs. Unfortunately, sometimes we get so caught up in our external appearance, hoping to appear righteous, that after some time, that may well be what matters to us the most. We end up reflecting and magnifying ourselves, not Christ, even if that wasn't our goal. Salvation ends up becoming more about us and less about what Christ did for us... and when that becomes the case, there's no need for humility... and we completely miss the mark.

Aight... I'm gonna go back to watching your Bulls mollywop the Heat... good times...

• 4 months later...