JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Nepotism and The Pursuit of Happyness

MaxFly

Well, it seems that there is a little chatter concerning nepotism being involved in the casting of Jaden and I know that a few people here thought that this might be the case when we first heard that he was cast. I think someone even said that it would ruin the movie. However, from all appearances, it seems that Jaden did a fantastic job. Even those giving the movie poor reviews have praised Jaden's acting. What are people's thoughts now? Do people still think nepotism was by and large the reason Jaden got the part?

I do definitely think so! I think it had a huge factor in it! If Will wasn't cast as the ead then I don't think Jaden would have got the part off his own back. Not to say what I've seen so far isn't good but I do think that the fact that Will is his dad and the lead is why Jaden got the part!

Do I think nepotism had anything to do with him being cast? no. Do I think he would've been interested/auditioned if Will wasn't in the film? no, considering that's how he found out about it (Will was reading the script one night). If you read about Jaden's casting Will & Jada really weren't taking him seriously(at first) when he said he could play the part, and casting directors were giving him such a hard time (he had to audition like six different times) they almost didn't let him do it. I read something Will said either you want him or you don't, you're not just gonna beat up on him b/c he's my son. They told him early on he may not get the part, and from what i've been hearing he worked hard for it, of course it's gonna look like nepotism but from what i've been reading it happened by accident more than anything else.

i agree with Ash. But i think possibly a part of the reason jaden got it as well, was a sort of promo thing. All over the interviews and reviews it says jaden is Will's son, people wanna see stuff like that. Just look at all the magazines, everyone wants to see celebs kids. I think they knew when promoting the film, the fact Jaden in Wills son is an added bonus.